RODNEY'S 25 POUNDER FIELD GUN

All topics related to Armortek's 25 Pdr
Ian Rodney
Been liked: 53 times

Re: RODNEY'S 25 POUNDER FIELD GUN

Post by Ian Rodney »

Hi All,

Just starting to add new upgraded parts on my 25 pdr firing platform.
Not sure what these were used for, but I'm sure someone knows!

Although you only see part of these when the Firing Platform is up right.
It still adds some more details to the platform.

These new upgrades are not finished yet, so the next time you will see the finished versions!

Cheers
Ian
Attachments
193. UPGRADE PARTS FOR THE FIRING PLATFORM.jpg
196. NEW PARTS FOR FIRING PLATFORM.jpg
197. FIRING PLATFORM BUILD.jpg
198. NEW PARTS FOR FIRING PLATFORM.jpg
206. NEW PART FOR FIRING PLATFORM.jpg
205. NEW PARTS FOR FIRING PLATFORM.jpg
204. NEW UPGRADED PART ADDED TO FIRING PLATFORM.jpg
202. 25 PDR UPGRADES.jpg

Derek Attree
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Derek Attree »

Hi Ian
Nice work on the details love what you are doing with the build.

Derek
we must stop making stupid predictions

Ian Rodney

Post by Ian Rodney »

Thanks Derek,

Well it's taking longer this build, adding more details on my 25 PDR.
But it's all worth it!

Cheers
Ian

Michael Cecil
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by Michael Cecil »

Hi Ian,

In studying your images and drawings, I wonder: are the new items you are making for the firing platform actually threaded internally on the full-scale item? Or am I mistaken in seeing threading inside your new scale items?

I ask because I think the attachments might be for additional ground spikes (for hard ground when the platform's in-built spikes don't provide enough purchase, and allow the gun and platform to move). On Australian-built platforms, there is a much simpler triangular device in the same positions. I have attached an image which shows this.

Nice details, nice build.

Regards

Mike
Attachments
s-Platform.jpg

Ian Rodney

Post by Ian Rodney »

Hi Michael,

Well spotted in seeing those threads inside my new scaled parts for my 25 pdr Firing Platform!
It just so happens the tubular rounded parts I wanted to use to scale with the threading inside was already there, but I intend to file them down to create a smoother bore.
I kind of guessed that these parts might have been used for anchoring the platform to the ground if the ground was too hard!….using additional ground spikes, although I don't see and spikes attachments anywhere on the 25 pdr gun itself or even on the Limber. Perhaps the spikes where kept inside the Morris C8 Quad truck?

That's a interesting pic of the Australian-built platforms a much simpler triangular version device in the same position. There might have been lots of different styled designs of these over the years when the 25 pdr was has mass produced during the war. And each country had different kinds.

Thanks for your complements and attaching the image for all to see.

Cheers
Ian

Michael Cecil

Post by Michael Cecil »

Hi Ian,

The spikes were part of the ground anchor set, and were normally carried in the tractor. I cannot say where on the Morris, but from memory the Australian No.8 and No.9 tractors had them stowed under the bench-type crew seat.

Regards

Mike

Ian Rodney

Post by Ian Rodney »

Hi Michael,

That's good to know that the spikes for the 25 pdr were part of the anchor set, and normally carried in the tractor. It would be good to see any pics of the crews using spikes on the 25pdr gun?

Will hopefully make a set of spikes to add to my upgrades, when Mark of Armortek has mass-produced the Morris tractor, coming out this year!…….so we can all pull our 25 pdr's and limber kits behind it!

And thanks again for all the interesting information you have sent to me so far and for others interested in
these kits too….

Cheers
Ian

Ian Rodney

Post by Ian Rodney »

Hi All,

Just when I thought I had finished building up my upgraded Firing Platform!
I noticed that I had fixed all the Ring Spokes the wrong way round!... also Armorpax Hooks were facing the wrong way around too!
It's ok if you are not adding the hooks to the ring spokes as shown on the diagram on the Kompact kit page 10.
That's fine, but if your like me and you want to add the hooks on the sides of the ring spokes, I removed all 12 of them and turned them around facing the right way round, so that the hooks can be attached to the sides of spokes are facing the right way round too.
Had I left the ring spokes and hooks as they were, and the hooks facing the wrong way round, they would not hold the chains on to keep the firing platform in place, as the chains would slip off.

Just thought I would try and let other members know that are building their 25 PDR Guns and maybe not come to building the Firing Platform section yet, so that they might not make the same mistake as I did?

See pics of my rebuild of ring spokes and hooks facing the right way below.

Cheers
Ian
Attachments
1. HANGING HOOKS ROUND THE RIGHT WAY.jpg
2. HANGING HOOK FACING THE RIGHT WAY.jpg
3. HOOK ON SPOKE FACING RIGHT WAY.jpg
4. HOOKS FACING THE RIGHT WAY.jpg
5. HOOKS ON SPOKE FACING THE RIGHT WAY.jpg

Marcus Kwa
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Marcus Kwa »

Ian,
Hate to have another serious modification to add to this fantastic build: notice that the spokes should intersect with the ring at the location of the teeth!

Keep those sketches coming, love them!!

Cheers,

Marcus

Michael Cecil

Post by Michael Cecil »

Hi Ian,

I agree with Marcus's observation. I've attached an image that illustrates this.

Regards

Mike
Attachments
s-Platform2.jpg
Last edited by Michael Cecil on Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Rodney

Post by Ian Rodney »

Hi Marcus & Mike,

Not sure what you guys are trying to me explain to me about the spokes should intersect with the ring at the location of the teeth?

Could you run this by me again…….

Sorry just to early on a Sunday morning to think about what you mean!

Cheers
Ian

Steve Stuart
Has liked: 239 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Steve Stuart »

I think that they are pointing out a 'I will have to take it apart and fill and drill new holes' moment.....
The Ring has a lower edge that is wavy and the bars need to be in phase with lowest point of the wave, according to the photo, i.e. the point where it touches the ground. However it could be that this is an example of different Manufactures following instructions in different ways, so both alignments are correct?
If I were to get a 25 Pdr this is one of those details where one wants to follow the footsteps of those who have gone before. Lowering the rear Deck of my Tiger is a case in point 8)
I am enjoying following the course of the construction!
All the best Steve

Ian Rodney

Post by Ian Rodney »

Hi Stuart, and Marcus and Mike,

THANKS GUYS…..The penny has dropped?…I see what you all mean now!!!
Not only had I got the ring spokes attached round the wrong way, but the spokes should have been at the lowest point of the wave, were it touches the ground as Stuart has pointed out.

Had a quick look through all my reference pics on the 25 PDR……and found this good example below of the firing platform from underneath showing very clearly where the spokes are attached to the outer ring.

Well to me its not too big a problem!….All I need to do is loosen all 12 of the spokes from the outer edge of the ring, and turn the whole spokes attachment round to match up with the lowest pointed wave.

In future I must check out the details from studying the good reference material pics, and get it right!
Well at least I'm aloud to make one or two mistakes as I go along…….

Hey ho…that's life!!!!

Right get back to sorting this lot out!

Thanks again.

Cheers
Ian
Attachments
G57.jpg

Marcus Kwa
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Marcus Kwa »

Ian,
I made the same mistake, noticed it right before I had the rings sections welded together by the workshop down the street....... I only had to loosen the outer ring (EJ0221) and drill new holes at the position of the teeth and bolt it back to ring part EJ0220 (to keep the ring sections together for welding).
Actually on your sketch of the 12th of January the right configuration is shown!

Marcus

Ian Rodney

Post by Ian Rodney »

Hi Marcus,
Glad you found the same problem as I did in time, before the ring sections were welded!

Yes I thought of removing the outer ring (EJ0221) and moving it around to aline in the right place.
But thought it would be much easier, better to just remove the spokes on the outer edge that is still attached to the ring hub and move it round in one piece. As the outer ring is well and truly fixed in place, less hassle for me.
Of course I would need to remove the six new upgrade parts that is used for spikes that could be used to hammer into hard ground, as the spokes should be fixed in their place instead!.
That's not a problem to move them as well!

Yes I see that the right configuration of the ring spokes are correct in my sketch of the 12th January.
If only I had spotted that and stuck to the images on the 25 PDR Firing Platform.

I have seen where I have gone wrong now by following the diagram on page 10 of the Kompact Kit build, which shows the configuration of the ring spokes lined up in the middle between the downward pointed bits!

So the diagram on the Kompact kit page 10 is not correct!

But anyway, thanks once again for pointing all this out to me, much appreciated for sure!

Cheers
Ian