Halftrack Jet Truck

Forum for discussion relating to the M2/M3 and M16 US Half Track
Allan Richards
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Allan Richards »

Thats an interesting looking jet car, probably at some US drag strip. I once went to a "night of fire" at Bithlo near Orlando and it was spectacular side by side jet car racing. Somehow I dont think the halftrak is the most streamlined of vehicles.
Allan Richards

Tony Read

Post by Tony Read »

:wink: I believe this was originally built in by White in 1943 and powered by a captured Me262 engine in an attempt to produce an armored vehicle that could travel faster than a '88 shell. It was known as the truck, half-track, M3, Brown-trouser for obvious reasons. Handling was said to be "quite good in a straight line but somewhat vague around corners". Its off-road capability is unknown but one should consider reducing power going up steep slopes. :wink:
For T19 halftrack restoration project go to: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/stourvalleys ... rack_1.htm

Tony Read

Post by Tony Read »

I would have thought that the half-track W-402408 (Nite Owl) would have remained at the desert training center after Patton left and got converted back to its original configuration.

Patton could be quite humorus sometimes. He was heard to say "The two most dangerous weapons the Germans have are our own armored half-track and jeep. The half-track because the boys in it go all heroic, thinking they are in a tank. The jeep because we have so many God-awful drivers."

It is interesting to note that after his death Patton's casket was carried down a winding road to Heidelberg's Christ Church for a simple funeral ceremony in a half-track that had helped spearhead Patton's brilliant drive through France.
For T19 halftrack restoration project go to: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/stourvalleys ... rack_1.htm