My 251 build.

Forum for discussion relating to the Sdkfz 251
Dennis Jones
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 218 times

Re: My 251 build.

Post by Dennis Jones »

Looks a bit of a mess at the moment but it will all be tidied up when a get the speed controller sorted out and then to spray some camo on it and job should done.

Dennis.
Attachments
One battery and speaker in the front. Space for smoker on the side if I fit one.
One battery and speaker in the front. Space for smoker on the side if I fit one.
Radio wiring looks a mess at the moment.
Radio wiring looks a mess at the moment.
Gun platform in place.
Gun platform in place.
Back doors and rear space for something.
Back doors and rear space for something.
Only just room for a figure had to cut the legs down to get him in.
Only just room for a figure had to cut the legs down to get him in.

Tom Wittstock
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Tom Wittstock »

IMG_0549.JPG
Hello Dennis, I have attached a picture showing the front axle. My main concern is part numbers CM0243, HPC RAS5B and CM0238 are correctly mounted. I use masking tap to hold the CM0243 in place. Please look at the right hand side of my picture. Does this look correct. I did mount the track rod below the tie rods just as you and Eric show. I did a dry fit so before I go any further I just want your opinion first :shock:

Thanks

PS. Sorry Dennis, I should have put this on my post instead... :(

Dennis Jones

Post by Dennis Jones »

Yes that looks ok to me Tom.

Dennis.

Tom Wittstock
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Tom Wittstock »

Thanks Dennis for your help. :D I have another question in regards to your battery set-up...

The motor requires 24 volts correct. I only see one battery in the hood of your model. Don't your require two batteries (12 volts each) hooked-up in series which equals 24 volts? What is the size and amps of your battery or batteries and where is the second battery at?
My other question and concern is where is all the room needed for the batteries and all of the other Rc stuff going to come from. There suppose to be a "False Floor to hide the Rc stuff :shock: I know I'm not as far along as you and I don't have the best skills when it comes to wiring-up the rc equipment, so I'll have to cross that road when I get to it...... :cry: I would like to thank everybody for all those pictures that everybody has posted including yours Dennis. They have been a tremendous help to me...thanks.

PS Maybe later on when you get time you could post your battery hook-up :lol:

Dennis Jones

Post by Dennis Jones »

Hi Tom,

Because my build is a bit different you will see from the photos that the second battery is in the rear and will be under the gun platform. The reason I have done this is because I wanted the loudspeaker to be in the front so no room for two batteries.

I am not using the Armortek electronics but I have seen the speed control module and it goes between the steel floor and the torsion bars. I am not sure where the sound module and speaker goes as I don't think they are available yet.

Dennis.

Dennis Jones

Post by Dennis Jones »

The Flak 38 I used in the 251 was mounted on a trailer and I was wondering what to do with the trailer chassis, I think I have found the answer. Picked up this searchlight secondhand, it needs quite a bit of work including installing a high power led light. I will make it radio controlled, tilt, rotate and light on/off. I will install batteries and extra receiver on the chassis and it will operate as a separate model on the transmitter. It should look good behind the 251. Probably not entirely authentic but not a lot of my stuff is as I like to have working models.

Dennis.
Attachments
DSC_2270.JPG

Dennis Jones

Post by Dennis Jones »

Build now approaching completion. Hope to do a video of all the working functions when complete.

Dennis.
Attachments
Radio gear and power pack installed.
Radio gear and power pack installed.
DSC_2278.JPG
DSC_2279.JPG
DSC_2280.JPG
DSC_2281.JPG
DSC_2282.JPG

Sean Noonan

Post by Sean Noonan »

just so you know the search light is on the trailer the wrong way round the base needs to go the oposit way

michael hilton
Has liked: 1530 times
Been liked: 814 times

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Dennis, just a quick question.....regarding the rear doors and the hinges. Is it important that the hinge pins CM0516 are 'Loctited' into the hinge CM0514, rather than the upper and lower brackets CMO517/CMO511? I have not fixed the pins yet..... the pins are 'tight' in the brackets however, but easier to move in the hinge.....Mick

Dennis Jones

Post by Dennis Jones »

Hi Mick,

I Loctited the pins into the hinges rather than the brackets on the doors and body, because if you need to take the doors off then it is easier. You have to play about quite a bit to get it all to line up so that the doors close nicely. I also used button head instead of countersunk screws to fix the brackets and filled the holes to make them look like rivets as I didn't think you could hide the countersunk ones.

Dennis.

Dennis Jones

Post by Dennis Jones »

Video of my 251 taken at Bovington Museum today. Not brilliant as I was trying to film with one hand and drive with the other. Sound system still to be sorted.

Dennis.

martin pitcairn
Has liked: 763 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by martin pitcairn »

What a great build! very nice! you have done a tremendous piece of work on the animation!

martin.

michael hilton
Has liked: 1530 times
Been liked: 814 times

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Dennis, excellent detail work and a fine inspiration for all 251 builders.....Mick.

yves mouton
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 514 times

Post by yves mouton »

Hi Dennis,

Nice video from your sdkfz 251
regards Yves

Ian Rodney
Been liked: 53 times

Post by Ian Rodney »

Hi Dennis,

Excellent video on your 251 build, you should be very proud of what you have made.
Great achievement indeed.

Cheers

Ian from Glasgow