Photos of the 251 from Bovington

Forum for discussion relating to the Sdkfz 251
Dennis Jones
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 225 times

Photos of the 251 from Bovington

Post by Dennis Jones »

Some photos of the 251 at Bovington Tank Museum I have more or can take more when needed.

Dennis.
Attachments
DSC_1355.JPG
DSC_1353.JPG
DSC_1352.JPG
DSC_1351.JPG
DSC_1349.JPG

Fabrice Le Roux
Been liked: 14 times

Re: Photos of the 251 from Bovington

Post by Fabrice Le Roux »

Thanks Dennis,

What a great choice for Armortek modellers this is. This vehicle served everywhere, doing everything. So many variants it almost boggles the mind. Fantastic.

But the Bovington SdKfz251/8 was an ambulance...
<<cue spooky music>>
and is allegedly haunted. The moans of the fatally wounded heard seeping from the interior by museum staff.

Total tosh and bunkum of course, but has anyone else heard this yarn? Probably started to stop brats (like me, c.1970) from climbing over the vehicles!

If I could build one, I would go for the SdKfz 251/16, Flamethrower. I have a photo (p.323) in my tatty, well-thumbed 1972 edition of Bart H. Vanderveen's The Observer's Fighting Vehicles Directory-World War II. The first reference book I purchases with saved pocket money, and the start of a lifetime love-affair with Tanks and AFVs.

Never trust a man without a hobby!

Cheers, Fabrice

Paul Wills
Has liked: 646 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by Paul Wills »

Hi Fabrice,

You can have a tour http://www.paranormaltours.com/site_in_ ... iteid=bov7 :shock: :lol:

"The Hanomag has often been described as a vehicle with a `presence`; a place visitors had long felt uncomfortable, and captured strange distortions in photography. It was during recent restoration work on this vehicle that old paintwork was revealed, an insignia identifying that during the latter stages of the war at least, this half track had served as a field ambulance. A museum assistant was cleaning an information board when he heard someone walking past. As he turned to greet what he thought was his colleague, he found no one. In front of him stood the Hanomag."

Paul. :wink:
9 kp pz gren div grossdeutschland Tiger A23, Sd.Kfz. 7 half-track Artl Reg 146 (mot), 16.Infanterie-Division (mot). Flak 36 88mm, Erg-Zug Flak-Stammbatterie Augsburg. King Tiger & Pak41

David M Wilks
Has liked: 427 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by David M Wilks »

Herman the German story was told to me ,as I lowered myself in to the the dark interior of Tiger 131 [some sense of humour people have]the story revolved around Tiger 1 up to the mid 1980's via staff /instructors.
The myth moved on to the Sdkfz 251 ,when a visiting medium, had serious interaction with the Bovington spirit, and told of its use as an ambulance, this would be in the mid to late 80's.
On our last volenteer mission [1985 to paint the Panther] an aged curator told of cadets breaking into the museum and causing problems at night, and this was one of the ways to combat this , he rekoned that the myth started in the 1960's .DW

Christian Steinhauer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Christian Steinhauer »

Hope the "spirit" is also included in the kit :wink:
Have fun building, Kind regards
Christian

Tim Page
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 425 times

Post by Tim Page »

Its a shame that the museum have 'lost' the rear doors of their 251.
This is obviously the reason behind the haunted 251 story - it just wants to be complete again......

Tim
2008 Armortek Panther ausf.G (early) #0035
2012 Armortek Tiger 1e (Late) #001
2009 Armortek BefehlsPanzer 111 ausf.J #0011 (SOLD)
2010 Armortek A34 Comet #0031 (SOLD)