Mark IV 007 Build

Forum for discussion relating to the British MK IV Tank
Steve Stuart
Has liked: 239 times
Been liked: 136 times

Re: Mark IV 007 Build

Post by Steve Stuart »

Hi Chris
I have modelled the fuel tank on Bovington's Mark IV where effectively the rear plate and top of the tank were bolted together so the Fuel Tank plate is simply bolted on with angle brackets that are riveted to the Armour Plate itself. The Top Armour Plate is bolted on to the rear of the tank along the top edge on the photos of tanks with it fitted. This means that the whole of the top line of rivets need to be removed and bolts installed instead. Something I may eventually do, but I am not rushing out to do straight away.
Ditching Rails beckon more urgently.
Unfortunately, or fortunately? I have used up all of my stash of sheet steel, it is easy to get Aluminium of a suitable thickness, but that would not be right. So I cannot mass produce but if I can find more I might well be able to make up some extra. Alternatively I should produce some drawings?
I look forward to your posts as they are informative and provide a guide and shove in the right direction. 'Following the Tanks' has two or three photos of B Bn which I believe are different from Ian Verrinder's Book, so if I can't get it through the library I shall be definitely asking for help on that!
Regards
Steve

Chris Hall
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 631 times

Post by Chris Hall »

Steve -

This debate about rear armour is really going places ! The pictures of 'Grit' posted up by Stephen White are also extremely useful.

It would be great if you could provide some drawings of your modifications (both the armour plates and the camouflage frame brackets, unless they're already in the kit). Unfortunately my metalworking skills are non-existent (as they were at school over 40 years ago :oops: ) but, fortunately, my brother-in-law is a classic car restorer so I'll pester him for help. I think I have enough knowledge to bend and cut the exhaust pipe appropriately, and to create a hatch in the fuel tank roof ...... we'll see.

If all this is proving anything, it's the need to really look at all the stuff I've collected over the years, and not just to own it !

All the best,

Chris
Last edited by Chris Hall on Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)

Steve Stuart

Post by Steve Stuart »

A quick email, herewith are two photos of my sketch plans of the armour plates I have made. I would recommend that they are used as guidance for your build as the exact dimensions will depend on how you attach the fuel tank, especially the top armour. I would recommend making it bigger then trimming it to size.
Top Armour
Top Armour
Fuel Tank Armour
Fuel Tank Armour
Please let me know if a hard copy is needed and I will post! Steve

IAN HINKS

Post by IAN HINKS »

Very generous to post these details Steve. It is just this sort of helpful advice and sharing of research and work that makes this such a great forum. Loving your build and the others on the forum.
Gunner.

Chris Hall

Post by Chris Hall »

Steve -

Very generous, and very kind ! Now I need to find an expert to figure this out for me ......... :wink:

All the best,

Chris

Steve Stuart

Post by Steve Stuart »

Rear Details
Rear Details
Chris and Ian have pointed out something that has had to be changed, especially after checking my collection of photos...... :?
Regards Steve

Chris Hall

Post by Chris Hall »

Looks like you caught it just in time ! :wink:

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1182 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

Was it that they didn't use massive cable ties in WW1 :?:

:lol: :wink: :lol:

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Steve Stuart

Post by Steve Stuart »

Adrian, we had Ernest Bowden for his cable and the Germans had Otto Zipp for his tie. Unfortunately his invention got lost in the chaos of the end of the war. I am recreating one of a few instances where his invention was used by the British, but it was only with the advent of plastics that his device was miniaturised and decades later success ensued. :P
Steve

Steve Stuart

Post by Steve Stuart »

The last few days have been taken up with devising a way of disconnecting the Exhaust Pipe so that the top of the tank can be removed. The pipe is sealed with an 'O' rings in the Exhaust Manifold and the connection box I have installed under the cover in the Spud Box. This is going to need some more tuning. The principle is that the pipe should be able to slide backwards out of the Manifold and then be pulled forward to clear the Connector under the Spud Box Cover.
Overview
Overview
Manifold
Manifold
Connector
Connector
Spud Box
Spud Box
To make things practical I am going to have to leave out a few supports/brackets for the pipe.
Having fun! Steve

Steve Stuart

Post by Steve Stuart »

I wish I had seen this website sooner!
http://landships.activeboard.com/t52914 ... 116-scale/
What is being produced is awe inspiring, but also I am very impressed as techniques and know-how are being shared, so I quietly offer my thanks and appreciation.
Steve

IAN HINKS

Post by IAN HINKS »

Steve,
What did we ever do to you that made you open our eyes to the above build link. Now I am struggling just to get out of bed let alone think about building my model. Seriously though, I am absolutely blown away with his scratch building skills. It took me about 45 minutes to read his posts and it was time well spent. So have you torn your fine model down again and started adding some of the details he included? Thanks for posting the link.
Gunner.

Chris Hall

Post by Chris Hall »

That is certainly "Inner Temple" stuff but, in the wise words of Saint Clint of Eastwood: "A man's got to be aware of his limitations" :wink:

Actually, I think that scratchbuild shows the incredible achievement by Armortek (well done, Mark !). He has managed to put together a highly detailed kit that can be assembled by humble novices like me. Certainly there are areas that can be super-detailed if you've got the skills and equipment, but our 1/6th models will stand by themselves to all but the most detailed of scrutiny by a WW1 expert. We've previously discussed what are probably the most important additions, namely the rear armour plates, and probably the camo frame holders as well. Personally, I'm not minded to do individual door catches (see above quote).

And there, M'Lud, the Defence rests. :lol:

I would make a few comments on that stunning scratchbuild, though:

19th picture: Those brackets at the back of the spud/rope box are for an axe, which was standard equipment to cut the tow rope in a hurry !

Interesting all the stuff about the 'point of gravity'. I hadn't thought of that .... it should be achievable by putting the battery packs in the right place, but is certainly something to consider.

Are we downhearted ? No !

Chris (returning to all that outer frame riveting ...... :roll: )

Steve Stuart

Post by Steve Stuart »

My immediate thought was that 'MRG' and Stephen could produce a master class! My model is being tempered by the practicality of running the Tank and by the idea of stand off scale. Someone else described the models as 'stand off' which shocked me initially, but on thought I realised how wise that is. The problem is not the model, it is people who are stand offish 8)
I am working to the limits of my current ability, and I am enjoying every minute of the build,(some bits are very challenging), and it is great to find that I am improving in my skills making the details that I think need to be there to make the model of the Tank, Bloodstone.
I am enjoying the posts on this part of the Forum as the exchanges are very useful and thought provoking, providing real support, many thanks :D
Steve

IAN HINKS

Post by IAN HINKS »

Well said. That is exactly how I feel about my first tank build. It really is in the spirit rather than a scale model, but it was my first build and I like it for just that fact, I built it and it ran. I look forward to reading the progress of the builders and also the interaction and banter.
Happy building,
Gunner.