List of Mk IV's being modelled

Forum for discussion relating to the British MK IV Tank
IAN HINKS

Re: List of Mk IV's being modelled

Post by IAN HINKS »

I agree, I am fascinated by the research aspect, always having been interested in history, particularly military history. I recently returned from a trip to the Bovington archives researching WW1 tank Battle history sheets. I have collected 80 to 100 split between the 1st and 8th Battalions Mk IV's. There are also over 50 from the 8th Btn. for Mk V tanks as well. I am trawling through them at the moment when I have time picking out details including which are males. It is harder to identify females from these reports but it is possible to identify some from the narrative part of the reports. I hope to be able to provide more information to existing data sites on the internet when I can contact the publishers. I can also make such information I extract available to the modellers on this forum. Being able to put names of the commanders and some of the crew to particular tanks brings them to life. Although there is inevitable sadness when people you have just read about become casualties.
Out of interest does anyone want to model a tank that was commanded by a Sergeant Leonard C. Lose A32 tank 2850 Anne II, No. 7 section, A Battalion, possibly a female as he reports removing 3 Lewis guns after they were hit leaving 3 other guns smashed and useless. (possibly 3 Lewis guns including the spare for a total of 6, to be confirmed).
Gunner.

sean kerambrun
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by sean kerambrun »

Hi guys,

I am finally starting my Mark IV ..

Has anyone modelled Grit?

Cheers

Sean

Chris Hall
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 631 times

Post by Chris Hall »

Sean -

No one's mentioned Grit to my knowledge, but relatively few people have 'shown their hand' on the Forum, and I know a few people have kept their Mark IV's unnamed as a general representation.

Grit is, of course, a Female, and was built by the Coventry Ordnance Works. I think most of the Mark IV's have been built as Males, with the exception of Liesel (my Beutepanzer, which is also a Coventry build - they had some idiosyncrasies from other manufacturers like Fosters and Metropolitan), Flaming Fire II (which I'm slowly plodding on with) and Phil Castle's Bayardo II (although he hasn't written for some time).

So the field looks clear for you. However, I'm not aware that Grit saw action before she went to Australia, and a lot of the pictures on t'interweb show her in 'training trim' without unditching rails. It's entirely up to you, of course, but I think the fighting tanks are a lot more interesting .....

Whatever you do, though, please start a build blog ! There's always something to learn, and a lot of us have now been down the road you're starting on ...

All the best,

Chris
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)

sean kerambrun
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by sean kerambrun »

Hi Chris,

I will continue to research which tank I will build

I have lots of pics which I regularly post of our club FB site but I will start a thread shortly.. . It is proving to be a challenging build even more so than my other other armortek kits.

Cheers

Sean

Pete Nash
Has liked: 401 times
Been liked: 164 times

Post by Pete Nash »

I'm going for poetic licence.
According to the frames my tank is Numbered 052, and was apparently sold on an Armortek Open Day from 'spares'.
So I am going to go for D52 'Delilah' which apparently did NOT exist, and not only that but I was intrigued by an Image on page 110 in Haynes 'Great War Tank' of a female carrying a Crib, So i am 'inspired' to make a scale crib using the tank to get the dimensions.