My Sd.Kfz 7

Forum for discussion relating to the Sdkfz 7 Half Track
Michal Matata
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 263 times

Re: My Sd.Kfz 7

Post by Michal Matata »

Hello Lacopo,

I made the maquette from fiberglass because of easy cut. The final version will make from brass and wood as original (metal and wood). I will start to make the final version from this weekend.

Have a nice day

Michal

Michal Matata

Post by Michal Matata »

Some news about the roof. I just finished the right side construction. It works very well. The kinematic is very sensitive to accuracy. Already 0.5 mm difference is causing poor functionality. I will install the wood frames on the brass construction.
Attachments
S1327.jpg
S1328.jpg
S1329.jpg
S1330.jpg

Iacopo Di Giampietro
Been liked: 48 times

Post by Iacopo Di Giampietro »

Congratulations: is coming on a great job! :wink:

Michal Matata

Post by Michal Matata »

Hello everybody,

I finally finished the roof construction. It was the complete disaster. I had to reduild the whole construction four times. Kinematics is very complicated and everything is related to all. Any change in one arm changes all other arms. I have to make the last wood arm to front window.

I have to thank my friends Bodo and Nick for help with Photos of the roof construction.

Have a nice day

Michal
Attachments
s1334.jpg
S1333.jpg
S1331.jpg
S1332.jpg

Michal Matata

Post by Michal Matata »

Some news from finishing the cockpit. I finished and mounted all tools.
Attachments
S1337.jpg
S1336.jpg
S1338.jpg
S1335.jpg

Fabrice Le Roux
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Fabrice Le Roux »

Hi Michal,

Well done. The wooden frames look fantastic.

There is a very good book, "The Complete Car Modeller Vol 1" by Gerald Wingrove, which has a section on making folding fabric tilts for miniature cars. He recommends fitting the webbing straps first. This allows the mechanism to be tested opening and closing under tension. I suppose using pins would allow more experimentation without doing too much damage to the wooden frames. The progressive unfurling of the roof, with each part of the mechanism being pulled upwards and forwards be the hoop in front is easy to test this way.

As he works in 1/15th, he has also refined a technique for using satin fabric for the tilts. He uses a hot knife (pyrogravure) to cut the pattern. This melts the cut edges to preventing fraying. Perhaps this technique could be scaled up to 1/6th, rather than trying to hem the edges of fabric by stitching. I am gathering samples of polyester materials (old green/khaki shirts from charity shops) to experiment with. Many of the materials used for 1/6th scale figure look overscale, and are too stiff to fold. Have you found a solution for your model?

I am particularly looking forward to seeing your SdKfz 7/2. Will you scratch-build the 37mm AA gun?

Lovely work. Bravo

cheers Fabrice

Michal Matata

Post by Michal Matata »

Hello Fabrice,

Thank you very much for a very interesting and valuable advices. I have chosen two types of fabric roof. The first is rye canvas in brown and beige color, which is just a little overscale, and the other is synthetic, but I think it has a very fine texture.
In the manufacture of roof structure I used as a prototype thin strips of fiber glass.The biggest problem, however, is with profiles in the shape of the flash, which shift to any course causing the problem. The design is very sensitive to an accuracy.
I would like to finish my SdKfz 7 to the end of may. My next project is to complete my PANTHER and then I'll start to build the SdKfz 7/1 vierlink scratch build and at the same time sdkfz 7/2 with 37 mm flak 37. I am using vierlink of the Dragon but the 37 mm flak I have to make by my hand. The big advantage is that the SdKfz 7 I have many forms and preparations, but I would like to make new tracks with the rubber cap by the real tracks.

Have a nice day

Michal

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1209 times
Been liked: 1383 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

That is a wonderful piece of engineering Michal :D

May I ask what sort of wood have you used to sandwich the brass :?: I presume it must be stronger than something such as balsa :?:

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Michal Matata

Post by Michal Matata »

Hello Adrian,

Thank you for your nice comment.

The design has sufficient strength, because the width of the vehicle is more than 36 cm. I decided on the using beech, spruce and pine. Finally, I chose pine. I think that is strong enough and texture closely resembles the original. I selected the wood as densely as possible, where in 1 cm is more than 10 annual rings. The frames are glued together of two layers and the growth rings are mutually crossed.

Best regards

Michal

Michal Matata

Post by Michal Matata »

I finished the second and the third cocpit. It is the complete in the grey colour.
Attachments
s1340.jpg
S1341.jpg
s1343.jpg
s1342.jpg

Michal Matata

Post by Michal Matata »

I finished the new design of the wheels. There is the different positions of holes and different shape of the ribs.
Attachments
S1347.jpg
S1344.jpg
S1345.jpg
S1346.jpg

Paul Wills
Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by Paul Wills »

Hi Michal,

You have a really good eye for detail, you are doing a really good job on your halftrack. The last few years has seen some fantastic builders come on to the forum. Your build puts my old Sd.Kfz 7 build to shame :roll:

Paul.
9 kp pz gren div grossdeutschland Tiger A23, Sd.Kfz. 7 half-track Artl Reg 146 (mot), 16.Infanterie-Division (mot). Flak 36 88mm, Erg-Zug Flak-Stammbatterie Augsburg. King Tiger & Pak41

Michal Matata

Post by Michal Matata »

Hello Paul,

Thank you for a nice coment. Your halftrack looks great.
I am trying to make a unique halftrack but the tax for it is a remake or complete manufacture new parts. From the original kit I used only the chassis, half wheels, tracks (I want to cast new) and side parts of body. I have more than 40kg unused parts from kit.

Have a nice day

Michal

Iacopo Di Giampietro
Been liked: 48 times

Post by Iacopo Di Giampietro »

My compliments,Michal:
your building and your search of the particular are a feast for the eyes! :wink:

Michal Matata

Post by Michal Matata »

Hello Iacopo,

Thank you for a compliment. I hope it will be finished to the end of may.

Have a nice day

Michal