Cruciform base

Forum for discussion relating to the 88mm Flak36
Jeffrey Goff
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 737 times

Cruciform base

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

I thought I would take a break from the gun centre cradle, and start on the base, lots of detail can be added, one of the obvious things when you look at pictures of the 88, is that the centre pillar is bolted down with castellated nuts, so removed the hex bolts, shaped some nuts, and drilled and pined the bolts.
The outrigger pins had no stop to one end, and this allowed the pin to move back and forth, so I cut a central groove in the pin, and added a stop, I then drilled through the outrigger, into the pin shaft, tapped the hole and screwed in a bolt, there is now no sideways movement to the pin, and the stop, positions the pivot in the right place

regards Jeff

Yves Maurice

Post by Yves Maurice »

Jeff you are the king of details!!....superb!!....
Yves

Jeffrey Goff

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

Hi Allan, as far as I know the firing data came in via cables, to two sockets mounted just above the elevation wheel, I have not modelled these yet, this lit three lights, and pointers were manually moved to cover them, this set the correct information, for firing.

Bonjour Yves, hows the 222 progressing, you have not posted any pictures.

I have continued on the cruciform this weekend, first I made two new sprung loaded bolts, for the out rigger securing arms, and the sprung loaded top brackets for the stakes, and the L shaped bottom brackets, the stakes can now be removed without unscrewing a bolt, I also made the four stake removal tool / spanners, these are made from steel, brass and alloy, new brackets need to be made to fit them, next job!

regards
Jeff

Allan Richards
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Allan Richards »

The excellent work continues, I do hope I get a chance to see this model in the flesh sometime, it will be stunning.
Allan Richards

Jeffrey Goff

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

new brackets made and fitted to the out-riggers, pictures added to the gallery
regards
Jeff

Colin Richards
Has liked: 4 times

Post by Colin Richards »

Great Work Geoff. What are you going to work on next?

Colin

Jeffrey Goff

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

Hi Collin, do you mean my next model, or which part of the 88, if it its the 88, I have just drilled through both the fixed legs on the cruciform base, and all of the hooks that hold the wheels, this will take a rod that has arms, and when the wheels are put on to these hooks, the arms close to make them secure, as for my next model I do not know yet but have ordered the Panzer III

regards
Jeff

Jeffrey Goff

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

I have added the locking arms to the to the hooks on the cruciform base, and remade the bolts on the hook brackets on the bogie's
regards
Jeff

Colin Richards
Has liked: 4 times

Post by Colin Richards »

Hi jeff

posted a few pics in my gallery folder. The'vre been posted on the page 4 folder at the back.
I haven't got too far yet but at least its a start.
I'm going to start on the boggies next and leave the barrel etc. to last

Colin

Jeffrey Goff

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

Hi Colin, its looking very good, and the details are great, I am leaving the boggies to last, as every modification you make will have to be doubled, keep the pictures coming
regards
Jeff

Jeffrey Goff

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

made and added the spirit levels to the main column and cruciform legs

regards
Jeff

Allan Richards

Post by Allan Richards »

You are putting an amazing level of detail in this model - pardon the punn!!

Do these levels work, they look like they do??
Allan Richards

Jeffrey Goff

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

Hi Allan, yes all levels work, although I had to rob some liquid from an old spirit level, I tried to use some coloured water, but it did not work and did not look right,
you are also raising the bar on your Sherman, its good to see pictures before the paint covers all the hard work, do you think that people looking at the Armortek site, realise that most of the extra details that we add to our models, we have to research, scale to size, and make from scrap, by the way, the tubes in the levels were made by draining the ink from a ballpoint, cutting to length and sealing

regards
Jeff

Allan Richards

Post by Allan Richards »

Jeff,

I think that the levels you have done are an exellent example of bar raising. You have had to do research to establish the design and then work out how to make the detail, and using ball point pen innards is a perfect example of ingenuity.

I have had to buy books and print off endless photos of Sherman's to capture the detail I want but with Sherman's there are many variations i design and also a lot of the surviving tanks photoed have been subject to various homemake mods and repairs which are not stricktly correct. Still its all part of the gae for me. There is no way I could just bolt one of these kits together as adding the detail is more than half the buid and satisfaction for me.
Allan Richards

Jeffrey Goff

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

finished the electrical boxes and connectors
just the storage box and lid and some minor details and the base is finished,
regards Jeff