Forum for discussion relating to the King Tiger
Tim Bowman
Been liked: 177 times

Re: My Jagdtiger by Per Sonnervik

Post by Tim Bowman »

Per,

Super cool! 8)

tim
"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad." – Erwin Rommel

Christoffer Ahlfors
Has liked: 681 times
Been liked: 268 times

Post by Christoffer Ahlfors »

Having seen your work up close, Per, I have always noticed that there is something about it that makes it look very real. Your reasoning about the balance between practical issues and fidelity has also impressed me and I thought maybe that's where the secret is? However, now that I see what you have actually gone through, the only words I come across are "breathtaking" and "awesome", but they both feel kind of hollow! :shock:

Thanks for taking the time to teach the rest of us - I know that's quite an effort, too! :D

/Chris
A little too much is about right...

Fredrik Jorgensen
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Fredrik Jorgensen »

One word!!!!!!!!! Fabulous work of a master modeler!!!!!!

well that was several word but i have seen this beast and maaaaan !!!
Per your skills and eye are breathtaking, i knew this was going to be a masterpiece and i have no doubt it will be the best build of all.

Im working on moulds for the small parts that im going to try and do from slicone rubber molds.
Ill let you know what happens if it works out well or horrible :)

Regards
Fredrik

simon_manning
Been liked: 1574 times

Post by simon_manning »

these quality builds make the forum what it is, interesting and inventive and stimulates the imagination on what can be done, regards simon.

Paul Wills
Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by Paul Wills »

Per,

Wow, such super detail even in the unseen parts 8) I can't wait to see the rest of the build. Great work. 8)

Paul :wink:
9 kp pz gren div grossdeutschland Tiger A23, Sd.Kfz. 7 half-track Artl Reg 146 (mot), 16.Infanterie-Division (mot). Flak 36 88mm, Erg-Zug Flak-Stammbatterie Augsburg. King Tiger & Pak41

Per Sonnervik

Post by Per Sonnervik »

Thanks guys for your encouraging comments, much appreciated.

My next work was drilling holes for the suspension and other details in the lower sides. The holes for the suspension was drilled with the square bar in place and some left overs of the square bar as support (see arrows);

I´ve also machined holes for bolts and a white metal cap to cover the bolt hole. This is not possible to do on the very last version of Armortek´s Tiger II as this bolt is used to adjust the suspension;

Some more details on the lower sides are unique to the Jagdtiger and has to do with the mounting of the gun platform and shows both welded and conical bolt details (the groove will be filled with simulated weld);

I made the bolts for the shock absorbers, four on each vehicle;

One detail that I haven´t managed to find out the use for, is only found on the right front lower síde, the three holes are for mounting the bump stop;

The last thing, in preparation for the new idler housing, I machined the holes using a boring head;

Cheers,
Per

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Post by Stephen White »

Hi Per, thanks for sharing your impressive saga. It's great to see some serious machining going on. There is a rule of life in a machine shop which says that the job is finished when the weight of swarf on the floor equals the weight of the job on the bench. Following with great interest.

Stephen

Per Sonnervik

Post by Per Sonnervik »

Stephen, many thanks for your kind comments.

Building new hulls meant I have to make holes for the side transmissions and the easiest way was to make a small peg on the drive wheel axle (this was later removed), see arrow;

I had marked out the center of the drive wheels when drawing the lower hull sides so this work was quite easy but time consuming. I´ve also had help from Stefan Konitzer again with lathing two alu rings (I couldn´t find large enough material myself) and milled and filed these into place.

I´ve decided to use Armortek´s side transmission as it would mean too much of work to change this and drive wheel as well. The side transmission cover itself can, with some changes, be made to look a little closer to the original. The first step is to mill away some material to be replace by laser cut part;

Two small fixtures (see arrows) were made to hold the piece in place while drilling the holes for the new screws;

I also drilled holes for the Allen screws on the inside of the lower front hull;

The rest of the work was concentrating on detailing the side transmission which meant adding some new bolts, filing and adding putty (A);

More details were added and A is for screwing in a lifting eye when removing this part in reality and B is an oil drain plug;

I finished this work with doing a new rubber gasket;

Cheers Per

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Post by Stephen White »

Hi Per (and Paul) - Happy Easter. Did you see that Dennis Trowbridge has posted some really clear Jagdtiger pictures on his website? You may already have seen these as I think they come from NARA but in case not, here is the link:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/th ... +Jagdtiger

All the best.

Stephen

Paul Morris
Been liked: 68 times

Post by Paul Morris »

Hello Per.

Looking brilliant as expected, seems I now have a few more things to add to the list ha ha.
Kind regards and Happy Easter Paul. :wink:
Paul's Tank Workshop. Complete Tank builds and re builds zimmerit and paint to museum quality standard. pjtigerman@aol.com
01524 720977
https://www.facebook.com/PaulsTankWorkshop

Paul Morris
Been liked: 68 times

Post by Paul Morris »

Hi Stephen.

Happy Easter my friend and thank you for the link much appreciated.
Cheers Paul. :wink:
Paul's Tank Workshop. Complete Tank builds and re builds zimmerit and paint to museum quality standard. pjtigerman@aol.com
01524 720977
https://www.facebook.com/PaulsTankWorkshop

Per Sonnervik

Post by Per Sonnervik »

Hi Stephan,

Thanks for the link and thinking of me and Paul but I already have the DVD Dennis is getting his material from and thus the photos of the Jagdtiger.

Thanks Paul and now when you´ve finished the WWI tank how about some work on your Jagdtiger?

Happy Easter to both of you and all the Armortek forum members.

/Per

Per Sonnervik

Post by Per Sonnervik »

Hi fellow modelers,

An update of this thread has long been overdue but I finally got time to do this.

Next step was to change the anchoring of each torsion bar by adding a larger piece of axle to the torsion bar end. This enables me to change the angle of the suspension many times without ruin the end of the bar itself. I´m at this point of the build not exactly certain of which angle will be the best until I have all the model finished. I made sure the two grub screws pointed downwards when suspension arm are in place, see circle below;

The original Armortek Allen key screws will be used at the anchoring end;

Having made new suspension arms meant that I had to adjust the length of each wheel axles and that lead to making a wheel jig to make sure they all anded up at the same distance from the lower sidewalls and in a straight line. I think the photos below explain how things were done (these photos showing the Tiger II hull);

After making the wheel jig the tedious work of shortening the wheel axles to the correct length began - a total of 36 axles for both models. Below is the Jagdtiger hull;

Next posting will be about the drive wheels.

Per

leesellars
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by leesellars »

Excellent work on your Jagdtiger as Normal. Makes all the measuring up worth while. Keep us all posted Per.

Lee
http://www.Facebook.com/newthorpemodels
Dont hit me so early in the morning with those negative waves.
Listen carefully i shall say this only once.
If its not broke dont fix it.
Ich Hatt Einen Kameraden

Russ Clark

Post by Russ Clark »

HELLO
IS THE HULL ON THE JAGDTIGER LONGER THAN THE KING TIGER?