Novice Centurion tank builder

Forum for discussion relating to the Centurion
Kevin Hunter
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 135 times

Re: Novice Centurion tank builder

Post by Kevin Hunter »

Hi David,

Most impressed with your progress on the headlamps and brush guards. These are on my wish list / to do list too, so I will be watching your forthcoming posts with additional interest.

I think it's been said before on this forum - you may be new to 1/6 tanks, but calling yourself "novice" has to be in breach of trade descriptions or something! :D

Great stuff - keep it up.

Kevin

davidwilkins
Been liked: 213 times

Post by davidwilkins »

Hi Kevin

Thanks for the kind words, when I look back to when I first started this build and how apprehensive I was about starting it I realise how much I have moved on. That said I also know I still have huge amount to learn, having a lathe and milling machine (mainly the milling machine) is making this very build very satisfying but also challenging learning how to use.

Regards

David

davidwilkins

Post by davidwilkins »

Hi all

Have been trying to make the head lamps and drivers periscopes, I have made some progress on the head lamps but the drivers periscopes will have to wait for the time being as all attempts to makes these have failed. (I had to walk away for a bit or I was going end up putting a hammer to it)

The head lamps are also proving challenging and I have moved onto the 100 gallon fuel tank while I consider my next move on the head lamps and the cable layout.

I decided to build the fuel tank with a centre box built out of 8mm aluminium plate and then fit the 2.5mm plating around the centre box unit.

Regards

David
Attachments
Headlamps placed in position just have to solve the lens and cable positions.
Headlamps placed in position just have to solve the lens and cable positions.
DSC00978.JPG
Parts made for the fuel tank ready for test assembly.
Parts made for the fuel tank ready for test assembly.
Locking bolts for the rear decks made, I had to replace the horizontal brackets for fuel tank that I had originally fitted as they were too short.
Locking bolts for the rear decks made, I had to replace the horizontal brackets for fuel tank that I had originally fitted as they were too short.
DSC00983.JPG
This the construction method that I used to build the fuel tank( I removed the centre’s  from the 8mm plates to save weight)
This the construction method that I used to build the fuel tank( I removed the centre’s from the 8mm plates to save weight)
DSC00988.JPG
Fuel tank fitted to the hull, all the bolt holes lined up will now remove and start putting the details on the fuel tank.
Fuel tank fitted to the hull, all the bolt holes lined up will now remove and start putting the details on the fuel tank.

davidwilkins

Post by davidwilkins »

Hi all,

After looking at more photos of the external fuel tank I think I had allowed too much flange for the 4 side bolts, so I decide to remake the 4 main panels to try and improve the look in this area. I have made the fittings for the fuel tank with only the telephone/first aid box left to make.

I have used photos as a guide to make these parts, and just when I finished a part and I look at the result and think that looks Ok. I then find more photos and I start to question myself as how accurate they are. But once I put all the parts onto the fuel tank I was pleased with the result. (I might have to reconsider after seeing Mr Whites excellent information just posted)

Merry Christmas

Regards

David
Attachments
DSC00997.JPG
Top plate fittings (cap head bolts to be changed to countersunk on back plate)
Top plate fittings (cap head bolts to be changed to countersunk on back plate)
DSC00995.JPG
Side strengthening plates angled down 10 degrees from horizontal.
Side strengthening plates angled down 10 degrees from horizontal.
DSC00992.JPG
Fittings on the bottom plate
Fittings on the bottom plate

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Post by Stephen White »

David, if I get anywhere near the results you've achieved, I'll be well pleased. One thing you might like to note (which I've only just realised) is that on the kit, the hull lifting eyes are angled incorrectly. They should splay inwards at the top:

Like this:

All the best.

Stephen

davidwilkins

Post by davidwilkins »

Hi Stephen

Thanks for the kind words on my fuel tank and also the point about the lifting eyes angle I will look to see if I can correct. The 3D prints are absolutely brilliant they show so much more clarity to the subject, thanks posting these prints. I can now see a few more details that I can add.

Regards

David

davidwilkins

Post by davidwilkins »

Hi all
Have made a bit more progress on the fuel tank and the headlamps. I am pleased with the first/telephone that I have made, as everything lined up and fitted properly. I have had another go at the headlamp lens, this time I tried using a piece of polycarbonate and scribed some lines on the back and then cut out on the rotary table. I am still looking to see if I can find something better if I cannot I will make do with these.
I have decided to run the armoured cable for the headlamps around the up-armoured plate I now need to make some small brackets to hold in place. There are a few more small detail parts to make and then these will be ready for painting but put to one side and wait until the weather gets a bit warmer.
I am starting to think about the fitting of the motors and all the option packs, so I will be contacting Gill shortly to place my orders. I think fitting this will give one almighty headache as I not the brightest spark when it comes to electronics.

Regards

David
Attachments
Now needs a good clean.
Now needs a good clean.
DSC01002.JPG
DSC01001.JPG
First aid/telephone box.
First aid/telephone box.
Added welds to fuel tank.
Added welds to fuel tank.
DSC01007.JPG
DSC01006.JPG

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Post by Stephen White »

Looking good David. I put some pictures of the motion pack layout I came up with on pages 22/23 of my build thread, if that' of any help. Great work on the lenses and the external tank. I can now appreciate how much work you've put into it. All the best. Stephen

davidwilkins

Post by davidwilkins »

Hi Stephen

Thanks for the encouragement I have really enjoyed this build so far, I have taken note of the pages that you have mentioned on your motion pack instillations this will be a great help to me. This should save me some time as whenever I go looking for something on the forum I always get side tracked by all the other builds and end up spending half the day looking at something completely different.

Regards

David

davidwilkins

Post by davidwilkins »

Hi all

Progress has been very slow but I have made few small parts. With the cold weather I decided to make some improvements to the man cave (this made me move around a lot more to keep warm) I have added 4mtrs of extra worktop, this will be clean/finishing area. Next on the list is to improve the lighting and the HEATING before next winter.

I have ordered all of the option packs with Gill and just waiting for new stock to arrive, I have decided to follow Mr White layout installation as best I can and have made the bulkhead and other parts, these might need a bit of adjustment when I get the option packs.

Regards

David
Attachments
New worktops fitted this is to be my finishing/clean area ready for painting.
New worktops fitted this is to be my finishing/clean area ready for painting.
Bulkhead made and checked that it fits, I will fit longer bolts to side brackets to allow for thickness of the brackets.
Bulkhead made and checked that it fits, I will fit longer bolts to side brackets to allow for thickness of the brackets.
DSC01014 - Copy.JPG
Brackets made for the tow cables, I am getting better with my drawing and being able to transfer the drawing dimensions to the milling machine.
Brackets made for the tow cables, I am getting better with my drawing and being able to transfer the drawing dimensions to the milling machine.
Made some D shackles
Made some D shackles
DSC01011.JPG
Small brackets made for the headlamp armoured cable tube.
Small brackets made for the headlamp armoured cable tube.

davidwilkins

Post by davidwilkins »

Hi all

Have painted the fuel tank and some other parts and attached them to the model and I am reassembly please with the result. I have made a mistake with the fuel tank as think it sites to high, I forgot to allow for the thickness of the top plate sitting on top of the side plates this would have given more depth to the to top rows of bolt flange plate.

It is another lesson to do more research and do better drawings to start with.

I have received all of the optional extras and have just got the basic bench test done and I am just starting work out how set them up in the hull.

Regards

David
Attachments
DSC01024.JPG
DSC01023.JPG
DSC01022.JPG
DSC01021.JPG
DSC01020.JPG
DSC01019.JPG

Chris glover
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Chris glover »

That's looking great David :D

Paul Morris
Been liked: 68 times

Post by Paul Morris »

Hi David.

Looking fantastic mate, the Cent is a long model to start with from my experience and your brilliant fuel tank looks like it adds quite a bit to the length!
Looks great though looking forward to seeing it at the open day.
Cheers Paul. :wink:
Paul's Tank Workshop. Complete Tank builds and re builds zimmerit and paint to museum quality standard. pjtigerman@aol.com
01524 720977
https://www.facebook.com/PaulsTankWorkshop

davidwilkins

Post by davidwilkins »

Hi Chris/Paul, thanks for the kind comments. I am found a small problem though! Big Bertha (AKA my Centurion tank) does not fit in the car. I will have to do some creative thinking if I want to get it to the Open Day. It's that or leave the wife (The Financial director) and the father in law at home. Now, there's a thought......

davidwilkins

Post by davidwilkins »

Hi all

Progress has been very slow but the build has been moving forward. I have mounted most of the options and eventually got the channel 5 on the radio control linked to the amplifier. The sound of that Meteor engine firing up was very rewarding.

I was thinking of locating the recoil module into turret instead of the hull as this would make it a bit more accessible to remove the turret for maintenance. (or have I got this wrong? any advise, suggestions would be most welcome)

Next is to try and get the smoke unit up and running and then back to the recoil and elevation set up when I have this sorted and understand it a bit better I will remove it from turret so that I can work on the upgrades that I hope to do on the turret.

All this planning I have know idea if it is all going work out like that, we shall see.

Regards

David
Attachments
This is where I was thinking of mounting the recoil module mainly because this hard wired in with the gun flash an elevation servo, the lead to the amplifier are clip in.( or am I missing something important here? any comments on this would be most welcome.
This is where I was thinking of mounting the recoil module mainly because this hard wired in with the gun flash an elevation servo, the lead to the amplifier are clip in.( or am I missing something important here? any comments on this would be most welcome.
Charging connection is on the right hand side and the power on/off switch will be on the left hand side
Charging connection is on the right hand side and the power on/off switch will be on the left hand side
This is the engine bay layout very similar to Mr White set-up.
This is the engine bay layout very similar to Mr White set-up.
This is the main layout for the batteries.
This is the main layout for the batteries.