Failure of centre Diff CJ0434

Forum for discussion relating to the Sdkfz 222
Martin Diessel
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 21 times

Failure of centre Diff CJ0434

Post by Martin Diessel »

Dear Members, yesterday I had a strange experience with my 222. In summer last year I intalled the entire drive train and tested it very extensively. All was fine. In the meantime I painted, made the wiring and much more. Yesterday I was close to finish assembling, I made another road test. -- And the car does not move anymore!! :shock:
So I inspeckted and found part CJ0434 spinnig freely without any drive line to the main drive shafts and wheels. Compared with a car, it looks like worn clutch. What can this be?? The part has way less than a hour of usage :?:
Martin
Scale 1:6 Armortek: Tiger 1 Mid; SDKFZ 222; Panzer III, Stug III, King Tiger. SDKFZ 7, Flak 88, WW1 MK4 Scale 1:16 and 1:15: Various Leopard 1 and 2, Gepard, Tiger late, Jagdtiger, Brummbear early, Panzerhaubitze 2000, Panzer 4 Schmalturm, British MK1

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Re: Failure of centre Diff CJ0434

Post by Adrian Harris »

If the centre is spinning without turning either of the end shafts then it sounds like the internal gears have failed in some way.

They are quite easy to dismantle and there is a complete build guide available here:

http://www.twf8.ws/new/tech/car/hobao/h ... step2.html

which shows how they fit together.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Jan_Donadoni
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Jan_Donadoni »

Maybe a loose grub screw that fixes the variuos parts?
or check the differential
Actually I had very good results with high density grease in the diff case.
My men can eat their belts, but my tanks have gotta have gas.
(George S. Patton)

Ad Wouterse
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Ad Wouterse »

Hello Martin,

There can be 2 additional causes for this faillure.

The steel pins that are mounted on both ends of the drive shafts may have come loose and subsequently fallen out. These pins have to be glued into the shafs using a high-grade industrial glue (e.g. Locktite). CA glue will not do.

The differential may have leaked some of its silicone oil. If the oil level is (too) low the diff will loose (part of) its function.

Good luck.
Cheers,
Ad

Martin Diessel
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Martin Diessel »

Hi all, thanks. I have checked all taht . There is no leak, all pins, bolts are ther, nothing loose. I would not not mind, but think, that a lifetime of less than 1 hour is way too low. Does anyone knows where I get replacement just in cas. of course first I will disassemble and inspect. To undertand, the outer housing is spinnig freely around w/o any trive train! Martin
Scale 1:6 Armortek: Tiger 1 Mid; SDKFZ 222; Panzer III, Stug III, King Tiger. SDKFZ 7, Flak 88, WW1 MK4 Scale 1:16 and 1:15: Various Leopard 1 and 2, Gepard, Tiger late, Jagdtiger, Brummbear early, Panzerhaubitze 2000, Panzer 4 Schmalturm, British MK1

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

Lots of them on eBay - just search for "Hyper 7 differential".

You need the centre one, not the front/rear ones.

You can also buy just replacement great sets rather than the whole thing.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Jan_Donadoni
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Jan_Donadoni »

Since you are going to disassemble the center diff, I suggest you to replace the inner oil with some heavy viscosity diff grease. I managed to find some 1.000.000 yes one million grease. It's pretty sticky, but gives really good offroad performance. Even with one tire without touch to the ground the 222 moves pretty well.
My men can eat their belts, but my tanks have gotta have gas.
(George S. Patton)