Workshop Bergepanther build

Forum for discussion relating to the Bergepanther
Paul Morris
Been liked: 68 times

Workshop Bergepanther build

Post by Paul Morris »

Hi fellas.
I have been on with this model for a while now, I did not bother with any pictures of the lower hull and suspension etc as a fellow builder is doing another version of the universal hull at the moment so here we go.
First picture the spade
Here you see it in the two main sections after all the fillets have been welded up, and what a lump it is.
Rivalled only in weight on this kit by the winch! more of that to come, I have included in the next shot a can of etch primer that I have started using it is just about half the price of Upol has a better nozzle giving much better atomization very much like using a spray gun. . . well as near as I have been with an aerosol in my hand anyway.
Give it a go its really good gear and in my experience does the job as well if not better than the upol acid 8.
Cheers for now Paul :wink:
Paul's Tank Workshop. Complete Tank builds and re builds zimmerit and paint to museum quality standard. pjtigerman@aol.com
01524 720977
https://www.facebook.com/PaulsTankWorkshop

Steve Norris
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 642 times

Re: Workshop Bergepanther build

Post by Steve Norris »

Hi Paul,
Nice spade, Thats going to add a fair bit of weight to the back end.
Where did you get the primer from ?
Regards
Steve

Paul Morris

Post by Paul Morris »

Hi Steve.

Yes you are right about the weight. Got the paint from a new auto spares shop that has opened on White Lund in Morecambe, I am going down tomorrow I will get you the name but if you struggle getting any I can pick you some up no problem. :lol:
Cheers Paul :wink:
Paul's Tank Workshop. Complete Tank builds and re builds zimmerit and paint to museum quality standard. pjtigerman@aol.com
01524 720977

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

That's the sort of spade that could dig an allotment !!

Thanks for the heads up about the primer - it's good to hear about different products such as this, especially from the professionals :lol:

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Paul Morris

Post by Paul Morris »

Hi fellas.

Thanks Adrian, like I said to Steve I will post details of the shop later on today and ask them if there are other branches round the country for you.
Right onto the winch, which I think has to be for me the best part of this kit, it is a kit all on its own and I am very impressed with it.
This was the day the cable went on and the gubbinz {wiring etc} went in quickly, and I can tell you that by the time you have two batteries in with the winch on top then the modules and the speakers . . . its a very very tight fit.
The last picture is just a test fit to make sure the top goes on and misses all the wiring etc, it will be back off again today to be sprayed the final base colour.
This picture of the top of the winch inside the housing gives an idea of how cramped things are!
Last pic for now giving an overall view, no primer on the sides as this is now ready for zimm, hopefully next time the wheels should be on and she will be looking a lot better.
Cheers Paul. :wink:
01524 720977

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

I was wondering where the winch would sit in the hull.

With the winch, the batteries and the spade all towards the rear, do you need to adjust the torsion angles to compensate - I would imagine this could end up to be a bit of a tail dragger, in 'plane parlance.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Kent Wiik
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 190 times

Post by Kent Wiik »

Paul Morris wrote:no primer on the sides as this is now ready for zimm
Hi Paul,

Impressing build thanks for posting.
That spade and winch is a work of art and a BergePanther might turn up on my wish list now...

One minor thing I notice :oops: , the zimm thing...
In fact no Ausf G BergePanther had zimmerit.
Only Demag made Ausf G Bergepanthers and that was between October 1944 - February 1945 and only 45 was ever made.
The zimmerit was dropped in mid September 1944 so that’s why you never see a zimmerited Ausf G BergePanther.

http://www.panther1944.de/de/pzrbergewa ... ktion.html

I think a Berge look better without zimmerit but that’s me... :wink:

Keep the photos coming
Kind regards
Kent
It´s all in the details!

Paul Morris

Post by Paul Morris »

Hi Adrian.

Hopefully not! I spoke to Mark about the set up etc and he told me how he had set up the prototype, which works very well and I have copied this layout, you may be able to see on the photo's maybe not? but I did set the suspension angle slightly steeper as this was in my mind also. We shall soon see but I am sure it will be fine I reckon our man in Devon knows what he is about :D .
Cheers Paul
01524 720977

Paul Morris

Post by Paul Morris »

Hello Kent.

I think we have covered this ground before? this is not my model I am building it for a customer and . . . the customer is always right, or at least that is what I was told.
But thanks as ever for your input.
Cheers Paul
01524 720977

John Fitzsimons
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 365 times

Post by John Fitzsimons »

Wonder if your paint supplier will ship outside UK. I will have a search locally. Upol Etch primer is so expensive. Great to see an option. Is the spade part of the kit or did you make it?

Regards,
John

Paul Morris

Post by Paul Morris »

Hi John.
No its all part of the kit mate.
Cheers Paul
01524 720977

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 701 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Paul,
Great work on an interesting Panther varaint. That winch is impressive looking. Wish I oould add a Berg to my line up. Keep the photos coming! How is the JT coming along? Best regards,
Bob

Steve Norris
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 642 times

Post by Steve Norris »

Hi Paul.
Super looking winch, The Bergpanther looks a very purposeful vehicle and will build into a great vehicle. Someone is going to be very happy with the results of all your effort.
I noticed that you are adding some detail to the drivers and radio ops positions, this is a good idea as that area is very visable. How much of the seats, radios etc have you been able to include ?

Paul Morris

Post by Paul Morris »

Hi Bob.

Thanks for the comments yes its a very nice model and as you say the winch is one big beast all on its own.
As for my Jagdtiger well . . . once again that project is on the backburner untill I get customers models out of the way so could be a while before it surfaces again :( .
Steve.
Good to hear from you mate, again thank you for the comments and yes I hope the owner will be happy, the drivers compartment yes I thought I would have a go at that although I have a long way to go to catch up to Dave's excellent work on the priest and I would like to say I have not intended to try to re produce the compartment exactly just to give an impression of what is there. As it is its coming out again as I am not happy, I got a little carried away building it and only when It was re fitted did I realise that I have cut the floor a little too short so the tops of the motors are visible to the front so. . . back to the drawing board on that one.
More to come soon as the wheels are now on and I can start to think about the top.
Cheers Paul :wink:
01524 720977

Paul Morris

Post by Paul Morris »

Hi fellas.

A bit more progress on the Berg
Rear plate with parts removed and zimm and primer on
berg 2.jpg
berg 2.jpg (38.25 KiB) Viewed 9557 times
Then onto the wheels
berg 3.jpg
berg 3.jpg (44.22 KiB) Viewed 9557 times
Bit of fun and interest with the stowage bin :D
berg 5.jpg
berg 5.jpg (34.33 KiB) Viewed 9557 times
More to follow seems you can only put three pictures on?
Cheers Paul.
01524 720977