New Build

Forum for discussion relating to the Panzer IV
Ray Brown
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 103 times

New Build

Post by Ray Brown »

G'day. with the looming arrival (sept) of my panzer iv the choice of paint scheme, campaign, corp & unit designation is hard. it seems every time you see a build or images you change our mind.

well I've decided on the following:
1. it's going to be afrika corp &
2. will have the turret & hull ballistic shields

so my questions are:

1. where's the best place to get the turret & hull shields
2. where can i get extra jerry cans and 1/6th figurines
3. where can i get info on the afrika corp panzer iv's for color schemes and unit designations.

cheers

John Fitzsimons
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 365 times

Post by John Fitzsimons »

Hi Ray,

You can get the jerry cans on ebay. Just search for Dragon jerry cans or soldier story jerry cans, 1/6 jerry cans. They come in SS and wehrmacht.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ST-1-6-German-Jer ... 519543c935

Lee Sellers on the forum keeps a supply of suitable figures and equipment. Newthorpe models.

Lots of Dragon figures on ebay. Also check out modelersloft. I do'nt now much about the africa corp figures available.

Have you considered animatronic figures.

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1182 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

Hi Ray.

Regarding your choice, I would have to say that Schurzen were only introduced late in March of 1943 and the DAK surrendered in May 1943, so it's unlikely any of their Panzer IV's were fitted with them.

The DAK was mainly made up of the 15th and 21st Panzer Divisions, so these units should give you a starting point for unit markings and camouflage, though to the best of my knowledge, the DAK didn't use camouflage to any great extent, especially towards the end of the campaign.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Ray Brown

Post by Ray Brown »

okay.change of plan. whaterver panzer 4 with side shields.

cheers

John Fitzsimons

Hi again Ray, I got a really super detailed Dragon 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf H kit to help with detailing.

Here is a link th the kit.

http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/misc/ ... n/6560.htm

It is a help to have a kit like this to check out details such as weld lines, zimmerit. I will also use it to help scale up the side armour. Has some nice paint schemes on the box also. This is the zimmerit version.

It is worth taking your time with the armortek model and adding some detail. When the build start you will see lots of interesting upgrades.

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 701 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Hi Ray,
I like the Normandy campaign. Mine will have the side and turret skirts. The only option at this time is to make them yourself. But I would imagine someone will create a kit for the shurtzen around or after the model releases though (hint Mike Stannard perhaps).
Best regards, Bob

Ray Brown

Post by Ray Brown »

has anybody used this place http://www.big-tanks-plant.com/
they have schurzen kit for 1/6 panzer 4

cheers

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1182 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

They have been around as long as I've been interested in 1/6th tanks but I've never seen any models on the various forums which have been built or sold by them.

Personally, I would wait and see if one of the usual suspects comes out with a system designed for the Armortek model.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

John Fitzsimons

Re: New Build

Saw the big tank site recently and was just about to post link when I noticed Ray found them also. Good price. Might be worth a try.

Ray Brown

Post by Ray Brown »

i just recieved my 1/35 dragon panzer kit same as you John. Your right about the super detail. Better than the trumpeter bridgelayer. Getting itchy fingers waiting for the p4 to be dispatched. Any ideas when guys.

John Fitzsimons

I have collected some interesting books also. Plenty of information to help with making the shurtzen along with some other details. Hope to research this one a bit better than the Tiger 1. It should be an interesting build and the pictures from open day look gpod. I will complete the Tiger first, I hope.

John Fitzsimons

Looks the Panzer IVs will start rolling off the line soon.