A34 COMET

Forum for discussion relating to the Comet
robert michael hilton

Post by robert michael hilton »

Hello Phil, thanks for your advice. It crossed my mind that I should check the fuse first.....I guess I have blown one. I can reach the PSU after removing the turret...so no real problem.

In case anyone else has this hiccup....I believe that when I fitted the heating element....I pushed it in tightly. Consequently the heat chard and burned the rubber cover....which may have shorted out, I think that's when the fuse blew.

Also, at the moment the fan does not run when I rotate the tracks....so I guess the fan is on the same fuse.

Anyway, tomorrow I will delve deeply into the depths of the hull and check the fuses...thanks again, Phil.......Mick

robert michael hilton

Hello again Phil, just to tell you that the 5amp fuse had blown in the PSU. I replaced it....the smoker is working well. I have rearranged the PSU for ease of access, and so the fuses are easily changed...bingo.

The upgrade smoker in the Comet fits along the length of the hull, instead of across the rear of the hull backplate.
So if I go ahead and install it....I need to relocate the AMP and Speed Controller.
Not sure if I would like this rearrangement as both units are a snug fit alongside the motors.....I will give it a coat of looking over.....and tell if I make this change.
To be fair the original Armortek smoker works very well, so I may just leave things as they are for the time being and covert to the upgrade in the Autumn.

There are spare fuses in the kit.....Mick

phil fitzpatrick
Been liked: 223 times

My Comet Crew

Post by phil fitzpatrick »

martin pitcairn
Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by martin pitcairn »

This tank just looks better and better! well done on a great build

Nick Farrugia

Post by Nick Farrugia »

Hi Phil
great looking figures are they the pixie suits that you painted ,if they are they look amazing great job
keep um coming :D

phil fitzpatrick

Pixie suits

Hi Nick
Yes these are the ones I painted with my air brush and gave em
a good scrub and wash afterwards.
Cheers
Phil

phil fitzpatrick

Comet "WHY WOORRY" outside at last

Outside at last but only had time for 4 pic's it started raining while
the sun was out :D

Gutten morgen mine freund :oops:
Haben sie any fuel Ich commen a long way.

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 983 times
Been liked: 2047 times

Post by Stephen White »

Phil

It looks superb. All the effort you've put into the stowage and the weathering has paid off. Looking forward I hope to seeing it at the Open Day. Thanks for sharing.

Incidently, in twenty something years of being in and around tanks professionally, I never ever had any customers for the Inf/tank telephone. Any right minded infanteer regarded it as too dangerous. The commander couldn't see anyone approaching from behind and the drivers were all briefed to keep the tank in reverse in case they needed a high reverse. Pity really because I'd loved to know what the opening line would have been...."hello tank, anyone in there" maybe?

Best regards

Stephen

phil fitzpatrick

Inf Telephone

Thanks Stephen
I suppose it was a case of if you cant get the tank commander on the
radio or see him to shout at,keep well clear.
Cheers Phil

phil fitzpatrick

Re: A34 COMET

Made some ramps and had a practice driving my Comet up into the boot.
The name of my Comet is "WHY WORRY" but I do so I am going to make 2 more to fit in between
and a side wall on the 2 outer ones. :D

robert michael hilton

Nice work Phil.....I nearly had a heart attack the first time I moved the Comet off the table lift....that was when I decided to have return springs on both TX sticks.
The control system is extremely precise....as you no doubt know by now the slightest stick move while climbing the ramps gives you palpitations.
If the amount of space available in the car is restricted....then a motorcycle trailer will work. Surprisingly the trailer holds the road and no noticeable 'bounce'....due to the overall weight of tank and trailer.

Best wishes and regards....Mick

phil fitzpatrick

Thanks Mick
For my first time going up was no problem,except for I should have sliped the big
antenae out becausi it cliped the top of the door opening.
Glad I used black carbon rod now ,so it was nice and whippy.
Reversing back out was a bit trickyer just as it comes out the car onto the ramps.
Cheers
Phil

Dennis Jones
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by Dennis Jones »

Hi Phil,

Just make sure you block it well both front and rear as they do have a habit of moving particulary if you have brake a bit sharp.

Dennis.

phil fitzpatrick

Thanks Dennis.
Yes I have fitted some 3mm steel plates at the top of the planks shapped to go over and into the boot
well.
To be extra safe I am making 2 more to take up the gap in between the outer 2.
Then I will be all set for my first trip to the open day.
Cheers
Phil

Dennis Jones
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by Dennis Jones »

Hi Phil,

No I meant blocking the tank to stop it moving. I have a Hyundai Santa Fe and I nanage to get both the Panzer and the Comet side by side in it. Have got a 3/4 " plywood base about 2 feet long and the width of the 2 tanks with a right angled 3/4" ply about 1 foor high attached to it this sits under the front of the tanks and stops them coming forward. And then a piece of 3" x 3" fence post at the rear against the tracks.

Dennis.