Panzer Fuhrersitz

Forum for discussion relating to the Panzer III/StuG III
phil fitzpatrick
Been liked: 223 times

Panzer Fuhrersitz

Post by phil fitzpatrick »

Didnt like my Tank commander dangling in mid air on his elbows.
Inspired by Stephen White great inerior photo's from bovington and Panzertracts 3-3 page 46 & 47 for ausf L and page 68 & 69 for ausf M.
I now need to do the Gunners Seat and tube support because the commanders other foot rests when he sits are attached to the same tube either side of the "Schliefringubertrager"(what ever that is)

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1211 times
Been liked: 1386 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

Nice looking part Phil - it's amazing how visible the inside of the turret is because of those side hatches - it seems a bit of internal detail really makes a difference.

Schliefringubertrager seems to translate as "slip ring transfer"

Could that be to transfer power to the turret as it rotates ?

Adrian.

phil fitzpatrick

slip ring transfer

Thanks Adrian
I'm not sure what that part does,it sits directly on top and in line with the transmission with a bracket each sidw that the commanders lower foot plate's are attached.
The top of the bracket is fixed to the big tube that then bends arround under and supporting the gunners seat,then bends up behind to support the back rest and fixed to the turret base to the left of the commanders seat tubes.
Some photo's show cables attatched to this slip ring and travel through the tube up into the turret.
For certain the Schleifringubertrager must spin round with the turret because the commanders foot rests and gunners seating is fixed to it.
Is it just the loader that hasnt got a seat and has to watch out for the turret turning,I think I read something somewhere.
I'm not sure how the turret transmission is connected up.
Cheers
Phil

Roland Mann
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Roland Mann »

Hi Phil,

a Schleifringüberträger ( Schleifringuebertraeger ) is a slip ring transfer as Adrian translated. It is to transfer electric signals or power independed of position.

However, I have no idea what it is for in the Panzer III since this is not my model I'm into.

Regards Roland
Der Weg ist das Ziel.

phil fitzpatrick

slip ring transfer

Thanks Roland
You have explained it perfectly for us,I could see cables going from it and up through the seating support tubes,which would turn round with the turret.
Cheers
Phil