Paint advice

Forum for discussion relating to the Panzer III/StuG III
David Da Costa

Paint advice

Post by David Da Costa »

As I am building up my PIII I am etch priming each piece before assembly.

My question is in terms of the top coat, should I disassemble again and spray each individual part of is it okay to spray without disassembly.

For example on the hull sides I am assembling the primed parts, drive case, return roller housings, suspension arms, escape hatch. Is it okay to spray these all in place with the top coat (after masking up the parts that I don't want painted).

Seems like a basic question, but obviously painting a 1/6 scale metal model is different from painting a 1/35 plastic model.

Thanks for any advice.

David

Jim Fowler

Post by Jim Fowler »

David,

I think the basic answer would be "Yes and No". What I mean is that in painting the lower hull, it would be fine to leave attached the return roller housings and even the drive housings as painting them together would actually help seal them up from the weather. Remember, these housings are aluminum ad not metal; but, also remember that sometime down the road you may have to remove one of the housings for service. And, thus breaking that paint. That service would disturb the paint job - but that could be a plus to add a bit of where to the character of the tank too.

Items that would be hard to get a good thorough coat of paint on when attached - like the swing arms and shocks; I would most definitely recommend painting seperately.

To further complicate the discussion. In matter such as a camo pattern or post shading; maybe, "pre-painting" the base color before installing for a pattern coat....

And, then there is the internal surfaces of the tank. This may sound absurd, but I think it is VERY important or may I say JUST as important to get a coat of paint on the inside of the tanks as it is the outside. I say this because a "metal box", which is just what these tanks are, can condinsate in the right weather condition or even in a situation of long term storage - and that can cause issues. Or, a battery can let go.... It just makes since to make the effort it do it. And, it truely adds to the overall "finish" of the tank itself. But, painting some of the insides is a pain - like the turret.

Now, I have already stated that I plan to paint the inside black. and will probably attack the inside of the turret with at least one "brush" coat to make sure I get it all. But, another idea I have been pondering is actually getting some acustical matting and covering some of the inside hull surfaces. This might actually enhance the sound - this is going to take a bit of experimentation on speaker placement and speaker box sizing as well.

Anyway, just some things to think about. Merry Christmas!
Thanks,

Jim

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 751 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Hi David,
There is no right answer to your question. Its a matter of personal preference.

I prefer to at least prime all parts on all sides before final assembly. This is for corrosion protection esp where dissimilar metals are mated together (ie steel floor to alum hull for ex). An exception is the hull side plates which I assemble together and then prime as a large subassembly. I also prefer to paint most parts with top coat (except mating assembly surfaces -primed only) before assy as well, but this is my preference. This method uses a lot of paint and slows the build down considerably. If two parts are glued together I will paint after assy.

There is nothing wrong with spraying the top coat on the nearly assembled vehicle. This method would definately save a lot of paint.

Enjoy your build and the holidays.
Bob

David Da Costa

Post by David Da Costa »

Thanks guys

David