Help/advice setting up SD KFZ 9 famo audio option pack

All topics related to Armortek's Sound Option Pack
Roy Morton
Been liked: 38 times

Help/advice setting up SD KFZ 9 famo audio option pack

Post by Roy Morton »

Hi. I am following the steps to set up the sound board for the first time, I have the motion control and audio boards wired as per the diagram in section 4 but then in section 5 step 2 it says to disconnect RC wires from the motion control board and connect them to the audio module but it doesn't say which wires. I have tried a few ways to no avail.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1296 times
Been liked: 1511 times

Re: Help/advice setting up SD KFZ 9 famo audio option pack

Post by Adrian Harris »

Which style of electronics do you have ?

For the Red Boxes:

The Motion Control Module needs two RC inputs from the receiver, to control each motor (RC IN 1 & 2).

The Audio Module needs three RC inputs from the receiver, one for each motor ( RC IN 1 & 2) so the engine sounds are proportional and one to select the different sounds (RC IN 3).

The usual way is to plug Y-leads into the two motor outputs on the receiver. One leg of each goes to the Motion Control Module inputs 1 & 2, the other leg of each goes to the Audio Module inputs 1 & 2. Then there is a single lead which goes from the receiver directly to the Audio Module input 3 for the sound selection.

If you have the older silver Audio Module, then it has loop backs built in, which you can use instead of Y-leads.

In this case, on the Audio Module:

RC Connections 1 and 4 go to the receiver motor drive channels.
RC Connections 3 and 5 go to the Motion Control Module inputs 3 & 4 for the motors.
RC Connection 6 goes to the receiver for the sound selection channel.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

yves mouton
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 555 times

Post by yves mouton »

Hello,

Is there a full layout for the famo electronics?
I remember that i didnt use y-leads to the left and right motor.
steering with the famo is only on the front wheels ( like the real one ) and forward and backwards on the tracks.
Famo driving is not like a tank.

Best regards Yves

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

When I drove the factory FAMO at TankFest one year, it was certainly possible to steer with the tracks as well as the wheels.

I can't imagine driving it without being able to use the tracks to some extent.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

yves mouton

Post by yves mouton »

Hello Adrian,

My famo react strange when i try to steer with the tracks.
I saw a movie of the real famo in Overloon and the wheels turn to the side and the tracks put the famo in straight line forward so i think the
real one steers only on the front wheels??

Maybe its because i donth have used the y-leads?

Best regards Yves

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

Everything I've read says it used the wheels for shallow turns but when you turned the steering wheel further it started to brake the track on that side.

As far as I know, everything from the Kettenkrad upwards used track braking to assist the steering.

Adrian.

yves mouton

Post by yves mouton »

Thanks Adrian,

My famo works fine in test, while the tracks and wheels are off the ground, when i put the stick forward and a litte to the left the left
track go slower than the right track ( works fine ) but if i do the test on the ground the left track blocks and the right track go forward.
If i go straight forward an turn with the wheels it go ok, but if i try the steer also with the tracks it donth work ( not enough power )

Best regards Yves

Mark Heaps
Has liked: 269 times
Been liked: 323 times

Post by Mark Heaps »

Hy Yves,
Possibly not a mechanical problem but one with the mixing settings on your transmitter ?

yves mouton

Post by yves mouton »

Hi Mark,

Yes i know it is not a mechanical problem, something must be wrong in the transmitter or
the fact that i not use the y-leads between the motor mudule and the sound module. But there is nothing in the manuel that said
you have to use y-leads. The sound works fine on the famo when i start to drive it.

It will be more easy when i see a layout of the electronics ( not a expert on that )

Best regards Yves

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3218 times

Post by Armortek »

yves mouton wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:08 am
Hi Mark,

Yes i know it is not a mechanical problem, something must be wrong in the transmitter or
the fact that i not use the y-leads between the motor mudule and the sound module. But there is nothing in the manuel that said
you have to use y-leads. The sound works fine on the famo when i start to drive it.

It will be more easy when i see a layout of the electronics ( not a expert on that )

Best regards Yves
Hi Yves - see the sections I have put arrows against in the manual.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS FOR THE RED BOX SYSTEM ONLY.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-07-10 090216.png
Armortek

Roy Morton

Post by Roy Morton »

Hi adrian I will try that its actually my son who is helping with the wireing so will have to wait till tomorrow. Its actually for the bench test, motors and steering working fine just dont get having to unplug them then plug into audio board, I would have thought motors etc wont work then, sorry I'm a bit dim when it comes to electronics but will try.

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3218 times

Post by Armortek »

Hi Roy,

As discussed with your son yesterday, these are the three pages from the Audio Module that are relevant for you.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS FOR THE SILVER BOX SYSTEM ONLY.
Screenshot 2024-07-10 090519.png
Screenshot 2024-07-10 090500.png
Screenshot 2024-07-10 090500.png (14.44 KiB) Viewed 726 times
Screenshot 2024-07-10 090706.png
Screenshot 2024-07-10 090706.png (471.17 KiB) Viewed 726 times
Armortek

Mark Heaps
Has liked: 269 times
Been liked: 323 times

Post by Mark Heaps »

From looking at the info that Armortek has provided, there has been a drastic change in their design between the silver box and red box modules.
This could be confusing for someone buying a kit with a different sort to what they already had , especially as the audio module is an optional extra and may be added to the model at a later date, or someone may try to use a unit from a model that is temporarily out of action.

Silver box - Audio module plugs in between receiver and motion module and has pass-through connectors for the RC signals.

Red box- Y-leads required so that the reciever signals go to both audio & motion modules.

For retro-fitting an audio module, the Red box way is definitely preferable as you are not breaking (into) a known working system. If you have to replace single leads with y-leads to add the audio module, replace them one by one, receiver to motion, confirming everthing still works as expected and then connect them to the audio module.

Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 977 times

Post by Jerry Carducci »

Probably doesn't help a bit but with my old Sd.Kfz. 7 and it's antique 'black box' system i mix the three channels for left/right track and steering servo- which I changed to a stump pulling Savox version. It isn't perfect but when I turn, everything plays a part- tracks and front wheels. Turning in reverse is always fun but it gets the job done.

Jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

Roy Morton

Post by Roy Morton »

Thanks for everyone help and advice still no joy my son will be back tomorrow to have another go but thought i would post a few pictures to see if anyone can spot a mistake I am making.