DB Chieftian build

Forum for discussion relating to the Chietain MBT
David Brady
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 634 times

DB Chieftian build

Post by David Brady »

Hi All,

Cheftian build number 47 is comming along nicely, this was purchased with the lower chassis built to a good standard.

A model that i didn't have much interest in at first, but loved the steel tracks, large castings and a good amount of detail. I would say the most impressive kit to date.

If you can get hold of one, I highly recommend 👌
As purchased
As purchased
Fitting the front, larger fasteners used and filled with chemical metal - small amount of filing on the inner brackets(both sides fit with no overhang)
Fitting the front, larger fasteners used and filled with chemical metal - small amount of filing on the inner brackets(both sides fit with no overhang)
Mudguards fasteners added
Mudguards fasteners added
Rear exhaust box as supplied-some nice detail. Saves me some work (beautiful)
Rear exhaust box as supplied-some nice detail. Saves me some work (beautiful)
Some of the fasteners on the front are awkward to either locate or attach a nut to secure.<br /><br />It's easier to use an alternative method- most of the visual bolts including under the mud guards are a BA fasteners
Some of the fasteners on the front are awkward to either locate or attach a nut to secure.

It's easier to use an alternative method- most of the visual bolts including under the mud guards are a BA fasteners
Started to lower the rear deck as others have - not the straightest of edges, but time was short.
Started to lower the rear deck as others have - not the straightest of edges, but time was short.
20240514_191811_compress13.jpg
Side panels fitted
Side panels fitted
20240514_191448_compress18.jpg
Cheers

John Clarke
Been liked: 1630 times

Re: DB Chieftian build

Post by John Clarke »

You'll have plenty of fun with Chieftain David, loads of scope for detailing, quite a bit done on the the bottom half already. You've got a good head start on the exhaust box too. Will you be doing more under the exhaust box? I really enjoyed making all the little boxes and convoy lamp housing. 8)

Chopping the rear deck for access is a must too in my mind. While raising the T cross, It defines the flatness of the recessed plate supporting the smaller engine deck hatches. A cross member supporting this deck plate forward also a must, You'll find it help's to support the turret ring too. :D
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

simon_manning
Been liked: 1593 times

Post by simon_manning »

Agreed Dave, one of the Armortek kits that's becoming very collectible, some comments in the past were a bit harsh on this kit, Having painted a couple i was very impressed, would i like one yes, A great Model. keep at it , simon.

David Brady

Post by David Brady »

Hi John,

Thanks for the advice (cross member will be fitted) I've been looking to see what's been modified on the build logs, and will add some additional details if in my capabilities.

Cheers

Richard Goodwin
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 270 times

Post by Richard Goodwin »

simon_manning wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 8:38 am
Agreed Dave, one of the Armortek kits that's becoming very collectible, some comments in the past were a bit harsh on this kit, Having painted a couple i was very impressed, would i like one yes, A great Model. keep at it , simon.
Have you built one Simon?

simon_manning
Been liked: 1593 times

Post by simon_manning »

have you Richard built a 2003 Tiger 1, Regards simon. yes two.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

simon_manning wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 8:38 am
Very Collectable model Simon indeed and some serious firsts on the Chieftain from Armortek.
The First MBT built by Armortek. 8)
The First and only model with a cast steel track and stainless steel Sprockets. 8)
The First model with a super heavy weight frontal cast armor plate 40mm thick. 8)
The First model with a super heavy weight turret casting with serious metal thickness up to 90mm in places weighing in at over 20-25 kgs fully loaded. 8)
(A really good reason for the access to the rear deck drive area without having to lift the turret). oooh me back!
The First Tank to play bandstand music from the sound module at will. :shock:
The best looking model 1/6 scale tank ever. 8)

David you'll have no problem upgrading the Chieftain, Dave D (Armorpax) Steve N, David B, Phil W, Charles S Richard G, Greg C and anyone else in the clan with the help of Vince C have all chipped in to the topic. Even I'm making some head way and I don't have a lathe or a miller. :lol:
Of course any comments made are from those who want their beloved Chieftains to the best of the best and most accurate model in the Armortek stable.
And don't worry about an air brush, all you need to buy is a set of decent files. :lol:

David M Wilks
Has liked: 421 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by David M Wilks »

Hi David , I’m glad you’re enjoying Chieftain #47 ,especially the heavy castings, they were my downfall when building #47 ,old age and arthritis made it a painful experience lifting those beasts around.
You will happily find out all the wheels run true , the hubs were machined to accept a slightly larger inner bearings and correct the centre line , I will watch with anticipation your build and hope you have as much enjoyment as I did on the bottom half.

Dave W

David Brady

Post by David Brady »

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments and advice, a good source of information on the build logs is already helping, but I'm sure I will reach out for some specifics.
(DW) good to hear about the mods to the wheels, and I'm sorry to hear about the arthritis, maybe try some CBD oil 2400mg....old age I can't help with.

Cheers

David Brady

Post by David Brady »

Hi All,

Moved the position of the lugs as below, this took a little longer as one of the lugs after repositioning was noticeable different to the other - no big drama just realigned and filled with chemical metal.
20240519_231902_compress23.jpg
20240519_231414_compress64.jpg

Cheers
20240519_231842_compress53.jpg

Charles A Stewart
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 825 times

Post by Charles A Stewart »

Nice job David.

By coincidence I did exactly that same job on No. 34 this weekend.
Seem's silly to replicate the same topic. But it is a task that is worth doing and as you say it wasn’t too bad to do in the end.

Cheers Charles
Chieftain No.34, functional. PKW IV (2002), operational. Panther G No.18 (2022), started, well some of it is. Series 1 4x4 No.28 and a Bailey Bridge.

David Brady

Post by David Brady »

Thanks Charles, will look for pics on your build.

DB

David Brady

Post by David Brady »

Some basic turret assembly this afternoon, I'm impressed how these newer kits go together.
20240524_192333_compress69.jpg
20240524_192512_compress24.jpg
20240524_192434_compress1.jpg
20240524_192420_compress48.jpg
A little filing to get the roof sitting as pictured
A little filing to get the roof sitting as pictured
Cheers

David Brady

Post by David Brady »

Hi,

A few more jobs completed.
Some body work
Some body work
Moved the filler cap
Moved the filler cap
20240602_164000_compress53.jpg
Assembled the T section (4mm insert added)
Assembled the T section (4mm insert added)
DB

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

You certainly have the Mk5 fuel and hydraulic access cover flaps now, nice. It's nice to see the build moving along with these mods.
Is it great minds build a like, Deja vu or just glitch in the matrix :lol:
I'll be interested to see how you fill in the sawn slot, I think some used filler, some plastic strip. I just glued a thin pieces of alloy plate to the edge and polished out. My Tee deck panel now has the accurate fit of BL Marina bonnet. :shock: