5 volt converter for lights

An unofficial resource of techniques, information and best practice to help you get most from your Armortek model.
Ray Massa
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 110 times

5 volt converter for lights

Post by Ray Massa »

Just wondering if anyone can tell me how there light pack option is working on their tank.

I have an M26 Pershing, and have it set on a channel with a two position toggle switch. Works great, toggle one way, light turns on, toggle the the other way, lights are off. However, I am testing the light circuit on my Panther G lights and using exactly the same setup as on the Pershing, the lights work differently. The same toggle switch (using the same transmitter and settings as on the Pershing), requires a complete on/off of the toggle switch to change states. It is like the 5v converter switch has different logic within it.

I have verified the settings multiple times and just can't see why it is doing this. I have cloned the Pershing settings on the transmitter to the Panther so I know it is exactly the same. And I have tested the same toggle with a different device and it works as expected. The option packs I have for the Panther is using the new belt drive system but the 5v converter looks identical to the one that came with the Pershing.

Thanks.
Last edited by Ray Massa on Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Heaps
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 282 times

Re: 24 volt to 5 volt converter for lights

Post by Mark Heaps »

Could you post wiring diagrams of the two models ?
A 24V/5V DC converter will give 5V output if it gets 24V input.
You can switch the input side. Remove the 24V, no 5V. Nothing works.
You can also switch the output side, 24V still there, 5V still being produced but only getting to things you want it to.
Your symptoms suggest to me that on the Pershing, only one side is being toggled, and on the Panther both sides.
Mark

Aaron Taylor
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Aaron Taylor »

Ray I'm going to be in the same boat can you send photos when you get it up and running and what you used...did Etc.

Ray Massa

Post by Ray Massa »

Guys,
Thanks for the reply, I misspoke when I said in the title 24v to 5v converter.
It is simply the 5vdc module that connects directly to the receiver and the output is a 5VDC voltage that goes directly to the lights. 24V has nothing to do with it. Sorry! When I wrote this I was thinking of the elevation converter module for some reason (they are both wrapped in yellow shrink wrap).

One end of the module goes to a channel on the receiver, the output is two wires that go directly to the lights. It is just odd that it is working differently since it is so simple.

I edited the title and my original post to get rid of the 24v reference.

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Re: 5 volt converter for lights

Post by Adrian Harris »

Sounds like the new one has been programmed differently - probably for a push button switch - so one press is on and another is off.

Does it behave differently if you power the tank up with the switch in the TX in the on and off positions ?
When I was programming my switches, I made them choose the operating mode depending on the position of the switch at power up.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Ray Massa

Re: 5 volt converter for lights

Post by Ray Massa »

Adrian Harris wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:44 pm
Sounds like the new one has been programmed differently - probably for a push button switch - so one press is on and another is off.

Does it behave differently if you power the tank up with the switch in the TX in the on and off positions ?
When I was programming my switches, I made them choose the operating mode depending on the position of the switch at power up.

Adrian.
Yes, that is what I thought, that the new version might be programmed for a momentary toggle. Just trying see if anyone else has the same issue.
It does not matter what position the switch is in when powering up. I never saw that as even an option on my transmitter. FrSky X20s Tandem model.
I can live with it like that, just trying to figure out if something is maybe wrong with the unit.

-Ray