Armorteks next model

Forum for Armortek Owners to Meet, chat and share knowledge. You are advised to check 'official advice' before carrying out any modifications.
Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 965 times
Been liked: 2066 times

Re: Armorteks next model

Post by Brian Ostlind »

Chris Hall wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:41 am
Marketing doesn’t have to be improved :roll:
No company will announce its future plans before they’re ready to release. Admittedly Armortek has few competitors, but why should they announce something up to a year ahead ?

We know their broad release schedule. Just have a little patience.
I think you misunderstood me.

No disrespect to you or Armortek.

I never said that Armortek needs to announce any secrets.

Let me ask you a question, do you live near enough the factory and meets to visit the thriving Armortek community and get loads of Armortek stimulation?

Not all of us do. I myself am totally isolated from any Armortek owners. So the ONLY connection I have is through this forum and Facebook instagram and Armortek “marketing” which is pretty minimal. So when I say marketing could be improved I just mean I wish we had a bit more “content” from the “official Armortek”

Have a good day ;)

Chris Hall
Has liked: 512 times
Been liked: 666 times

Post by Chris Hall »

Brian Ostlind wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:55 pm
Let me ask you a question, do you live near enough the factory and meets to visit the thriving Armortek community and get loads of Armortek stimulation?
A fair question deserves a fair answer :wink:

Google Maps tells me that I live just over 50 miles from the factory. I go there occasionally to collect bits or for the annual Open Day - it's always nice to visit Monique and Kian when they're not rushed off their feet (prior booking, and understanding, are necessities).

I'm also fortunate to live in an area which has two thriving 1/6 scale groups (not solely focused on Armortek products), regularly running shows throughout the year. And, of course, there's Tankfest at Bovington, which is about the same distance ............

Travel-wise, I'm now honoured to have been invited to join the Dutch, German, Austrian, Swedish and Belgian group (profuse apologies for any nationalities I've forgotten ! :lol:) at their annual get-together near Cologne, Germany. Once I give up work for ever I intend to make an annual trip to the Militracks show in Holland, which sounds like a great gig. It's a bit of driving but, as they say, the difference between the British and the Americans is that the British think 100 miles is a long way, whereas the Americans think 100 years is a long time :lol:

So, yes, I'm very lucky, and can indulge my 'need for stimulation' in many ways as often as I like :D. But I came to this area long before I got involved in the Armortek fraternity. And the UK, even Western Europe, is much smaller than the US. I had the pleasure of meeting Johnny Johnson at the US Armor Collection in Georgia back in April (yes, I flew all the way from the UK for a long weekend :shock:), and I know he's trying hard to get a series of meets together in the US. I hope he succeeds - it's a good community to be part of.

And that's the Big Thing. The thread you originally commented on strongly implied that it's Armortek's job to keep us all together, and to tell us their plans at the drop of a hat. It isn't - they don't have the time. You're confusing marketing with community. This forum is great, with lots of chat and helpful advice. But it can never replace getting together with like-minded loonies :wink: to run tanks with and joke around with.

I sympathise with your situation - I really do. But the answer rests with you to stimulate your local contacts and form a local group, or being prepared to travel a bit. No amount of internet traffic can ever replace that.

Good luck !

Chris
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)

Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1014 times

Post by Jerry Carducci »

Chris Hall wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:36 pm
Brian Ostlind wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:55 pm
A fair question deserves a fair answer :wink:

Google Maps tells me that I live just over 50 miles from the factory. I go there occasionally to collect bits or for the annual Open Day - it's always nice to visit Monique and Kian when they're not rushed off their feet (prior booking, and understanding, are necessities).

I'm also fortunate to live in an area which has two thriving 1/6 scale groups (not solely focused on Armortek products), regularly running shows throughout the year. And, of course, there's Tankfest at Bovington, which is about the same distance ............

Travel-wise, I'm now honoured to have been invited to join the Dutch, German, Austrian, Swedish and Belgian group (profuse apologies for any nationalities I've forgotten ! :lol:) at their annual get-together near Cologne, Germany. Once I give up work for ever I intend to make an annual trip to the Militracks show in Holland, which sounds like a great gig. It's a bit of driving but, as they say, the difference between the British and the Americans is that the British think 100 miles is a long way, whereas the Americans think 100 years is a long time :lol:

So, yes, I'm very lucky, and can indulge my 'need for stimulation' in many ways as often as I like :D. But I came to this area long before I got involved in the Armortek fraternity. And the UK, even Western Europe, is much smaller than the US. I had the pleasure of meeting Johnny Johnson at the US Armor Collection in Georgia back in April (yes, I flew all the way from the UK for a long weekend :shock:), and I know he's trying hard to get a series of meets together in the US. I hope he succeeds - it's a good community to be part of.

And that's the Big Thing. The thread you originally commented on strongly implied that it's Armortek's job to keep us all together, and to tell us their plans at the drop of a hat. It isn't - they don't have the time. You're confusing marketing with community. This forum is great, with lots of chat and helpful advice. But it can never replace getting together with like-minded loonies :wink: to run tanks with and joke around with.

I sympathise with your situation - I really do. But the answer rests with you to stimulate your local contacts and form a local group, or being prepared to travel a bit. No amount of internet traffic can ever replace that.

Good luck !

Chris
I don't want to derail this 'what's next' thread any further however I felt compelled to say something.

Regarding isolation, being a sole follower of a hobby. I have had experience with that.

First and foremost a hobby, any hobby is what we make it.

When I got my first large(r) scale tank so long ago now whenever I said RC tank to just about anyone over here the response was usually a blank stare. I began my first club in 1988, one of the first of its kind in the US. Two of my 'charter members were Jacques Littlefield (yes he'd been a modeler) and Per Sonnervik. There was a news letter and occasional meetings at a local pizza parlor (not very convenient for Per or Jacques).
Later I was invited to join clubs in Holland ( RC Armor Group Holland- still have the sweat shirt!) and Germany ( Nienburg Historical group).

It was a struggle then as now to find interested people. I learned hard lessons. Fundamental is you can't create an interest for a thing where none exists; people are either interested to begin with or not. I always welcome like-minded people.

Armortek is doing fine as they are information-wise. It's fun to chat about what's next but I'll just believe it when I see it in my shop...

Jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

John Clarke
Been liked: 1709 times

Post by John Clarke »

Great conversation guys, Armortek's ex catalogue is quite large for a small company dealing complex individual models, I'm not exactly sure, but it must be getting somewhere in the forty plus area including the quick kits and off shoots. And I'm not including the Spitfire.
Deliberating on the next model must be a nightmare for Armortek as I've said before. Bringing in new customers must be the target, how many Tigers can one person need? More like how many persons want a Tiger in their mind? For example.

I think if there was a concerted effort for a particular model by a quantifiable group, Armortek would probably be foolish to ignore it, as with Famo and Chieftain, but those times are rare.
I had expected the Leo2 to have been sold out by now (maybe is) due to the interest in the original around the world. The only other model I would call similar to that would be the M1. The rest I would call "favorite models", (and I have lots of them) But there's always going to be the surprise model that some will feel is a must have once they see it.(S1) But few would bet what that will be.

A 3d printed model could be used advertise " Could this be Armorteks next model?" might just push the right buttons.

Innovation is the key, models must get better, more accurate and easier to build to bring the newbies in. Detail kits like that that came with the Comet you'd know what I mean.

You only have to look at Lego today and see what the demands are for detail.

All very easy to say not so easy to do I know.

I live in the UK Brian, the Midlands, I have been to one Armortek show at Bovington a long time ago and once to the old factory.
Although "only" a 400+ mile round trip, The roads in places similar to the moon, more speed camera's than an F1 circuit for the same lap distance, and if you think about staying over night at a travel lodge, you'd be lucky if your cars still there in the morning, let alone the model in the back. Only to be met with a fresh faced copper giving you shrug and a crime scene number for your insurance claim. (If you've got it)

Owners are scattered all over the country, It's worse for those up north, guessing most owners would love to go to the meets but the distance of 600+ mile round trip can be quite prohibiting.

A lot of meets are south of London (the Smoke) and members living around there are really lucky to have that opportunity and not just that, they are closer to the Armor military museums that seem to be all further down south. The closest tank to me is a 110miles round trip away, rotting away in a field. Well I think it's still there.

On top of that the wife likes or seems to like booking holidays during meet weeks during the summer. Not her fault, if you don't book early the year before you miss out. Such is life.
I do envy the guys going abroad to meets, an adventure. But there'd be no room in the car for a model in my world, my wife has to bring the wardrobe with her once we cross the channel.

I have put my foot down for next year, and will probably loose it, but I'd like go to a meet when it's a lot warmer, enjoy the company and wow a few spectators.

The Forum does keep us together. news, updates, builds, sales and a supportive community. Contributors are probably less than 5% of owners, but I'm guessing far more silent casual readers also benefit.
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

Chris.Marshall
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Chris.Marshall »

Hello Forum Folk !

A few thoughts from a newbie to the community.....

1/ Despite some things we may think Armortek could do better, and we all have our thoughts, they are overall doing a brilliant job. I have been a Tank Nut for more than 50 years long before a commercial kit was available. The product we see today ( the first non-Armortek ones were not great ) would have rendered me speechless when I first started. I built ( never fully completed due to track link cost ) my first tiger ( 1/9th scale in steel ) from the first printing of David Fletcher's book on the Tiger. No community and no support. I saw the lovely aluminium and bronze Churchill model at Bovvy in the early 1980s that inspired me to do the Tiger. And long before the Tiger was the icon it is today.

2/ Do we still need Tiger models, probably..... I just bought one. Unfinished business from the 1980s :)

3/ Yes Armortek need to be commercial, and need to make profitable models. That way they can also produce the unusuals or specials as well.

4/ Having lurked here ( forum ) prior to purchase, I must say that this is one of the best community forums and groups I have come across. so enthusiastic, positive and supportive. REALLY good. Living up here in the 'frozen North' Armortek and Bovvy are a major trip. BUT I was still able to collect my kit from the factory, combined with a family trip to Bicester for Wife and Son. And I was able to have a brief chat with Kian. Thanks Kian ! :D And yes it might be nice to have just a little bit more content on the forum from ' the factory ' but they are busy, and I appreciate that.

5/ But it is indeed fun to speculate on the next models and state our myriad of preferences, we won't all be satisfied, but hopefully over time we'll see many new and interesting models produced. My Christmas list has a Challenger 2 at the top, and despite the current global situation, I'd really like a T62, the iconic Soviet cold war tank, but there is time....

So in conclusion, I think everyone is actually doing a really good job here.

All the best,

Chris.
Tiger 1 Early - (Kit42) - Still boxed.

Oliver Brüninghaus
Has liked: 551 times
Been liked: 409 times

Post by Oliver Brüninghaus »

Hi All,

going back to the topic.
I would like to see a FV601 Saladin. :-D

As a model technically a little bit challenging but a great study for a Sd.Kfz. 234 in the later future. With hollow tyres, the independent suspension and six-wheel drive it could be a beautiful one-to-six-cross-country-performer.

But above all I'm dreaming of a "box on tracks" – the Sturmtiger. :!:

Oliver
It's Grim Up North

David Merritt
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by David Merritt »

Hi all,
Didn't Armortek, some time ago, ask its customers what vehicle's that they would like to see them producing in the future. This must have given them some idea on what is likely to sell reasonably well.
I would expect that they have the next one or two vehicles they will be producing well into the design stage so that they can start the manufacturer of them as soon as the production of Leopard 2A4 is complete, which is expected to be around the end of January, start of February.
Possibly around Christmas time they will release the information on the next one or two vehicles to be produced and expected delivery dates.
Can't wait to hear what is next.

David

Chris Hall
Has liked: 512 times
Been liked: 666 times

Post by Chris Hall »

Oliver Brüninghaus wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:54 pm
But above all I'm dreaming of a "box on tracks" – the Sturmtiger.
Wouldn’t a ‘box on tracks’ be an A7V ? 😉
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)

Oliver Brüninghaus
Has liked: 551 times
Been liked: 409 times

Post by Oliver Brüninghaus »

well there might be a little difference, the A7V is the "shed on tracks" :D
It's Grim Up North

Charles A Stewart
Has liked: 477 times
Been liked: 880 times

Post by Charles A Stewart »

CVR(T)- "Simples."
Chieftain No.34, functional. PKW IV (2002), operational. Panther G No.18 (2022), started, well some of it is. Series 1 4x4 No.28 and a Bailey Bridge.

Steve Lewington
Has liked: 8381 times
Been liked: 277 times

Post by Steve Lewington »

Well said Charles
CVRT all the way simples

Steve
There is no time for peace.
No respite.
No forgiveness.
There is only ......WAR.

SdKfz 7 Half Track, 88mm Flak 36, Panzer III, TIGER I Mid 2010, Panzer iv, Sdkfz251, Famo ,Chech Hedgehog x2
Ammo limber, 25 pounder, Baily Bridge.

Marco Peter
Has liked: 1334 times
Been liked: 771 times

Post by Marco Peter »

Jerry Carducci wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:18 pm
...Later I was invited to join clubs in Holland ( RC Armor Group Holland- still have the sweat shirt!...
Wow I didn't know! Proud member here haha!

You should come over when Armortek does Militracks! :mrgreen:
'Konan', my Tiger 1 Mid
'Gunther', my Panther G

Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Been liked: 1014 times

Post by Jerry Carducci »

Marco Peter wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:48 pm
Jerry Carducci wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:18 pm
...Later I was invited to join clubs in Holland ( RC Armor Group Holland- still have the sweat shirt!...
Wow I didn't know! Proud member here haha!

You should come over when Armortek does Militracks! :mrgreen:
I have no doubt They forgot about me long ago. My contact back then was John Scheepers....
I met with guys there first at Nienburg then years later at Amersfoort...

I'd love to visit all those places again...

Jerry
Attachments
ShirtFront.jpg
ShirtBack.jpg
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

Gerhard Michel
Been liked: 604 times

Post by Gerhard Michel »

At the times of planning the Jagdtiger they said to me at Reinhold's tank meeting in Hausen that my Bigtanks JT was the 'trend setter' for this decision. I was rather astonished because in former times this type was not at all a bestseller (here at full braking in Eckersmühlen Proving Grounds).

kind regards
Gerhard

Medard Winants
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Medard Winants »

The wheely’s jeep. 🤗