Quad, Mick, for the use of.

Forum for discussion relating to the Morris Quad
michael hilton
Has liked: 1565 times
Been liked: 835 times

Re: Quad, Mick, for the use of.

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Martin, my 'rope' is twisted cord used on model boat rigging, it looks like steel when spray painted. I cleaned and roughed a small area on and around the winch drum. Then using 'Loctite', I glued the rope once around the drum. This prevents the rope slipping and allows the rope to lie against the drum and build on itself when winding in or running out.
As the winch is a working item I tried 2mm steel wire however, I found the wire very 'stiff' in use. The rope end has a small boat type shackle fitted and is then tied off or lashed with cord.
These parts I found on ebay. Have a care, as my build ideas are not be true to scale or authentic however, as the saying goes, it's my Quad.....Mick. :roll:

Martin Taylor
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Martin Taylor »

Hello Mick and many thanks for your lateral thinking. Using rope obviously enables a neat solution to the fixing issue and fitting a suitable shackle. Mark has suggested using 1.5mm steel rope but that doesn't offer an obvious easy solution to the fixing question or does someone on the Forum know better??
Martin

Derek Attree
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by Derek Attree »

Hi Guys
On my SKDFZ 7 winch I used 1.5mm wire and
came through the top of the winch with the
cable and added a small clamp plate to hold the
cable to the drum.
If you look at the first page of the thread called
MY Slow Build no 4 2014 issue in the skdfz7 thread
there are some pictures to show whet I did.

Hope this helps

Derek
we must stop making stupid predictions

Martin Taylor
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Martin Taylor »

Hi Derek.
Your cable fix solution may turn out to be very relevant although the winch cable drum on the Quad is a rather different assembly so some careful thought needed before drilling holes etc.
Many thanks
Martin

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hello everyone, I finally decided to locate the switches in the lockers. The power cable from the Motion Control runs down through the pre-cut hole into the locker box. The 'smoker' switch is fixed at the rear of the locker, accessed from the front. The remote switch is fixed with double sided tape in the end compartment. I used EC5 connectors to isolate/break the power between Motion control and Batteries. I charge the isolated batteries with an EC5 connected to my charger..... :roll: ....Mick
Attachments
Smoker switch behind the EC5 connectors.
Smoker switch behind the EC5 connectors.

Peter Silcock
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Peter Silcock »

I like the system for isolating/charging - I use this instead of another switch and charging socket, much simpler and easy to use. You can also use for checking the voltage of the batteries as well. You must be nearly there!

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Peter, still a fair way to go. I like the 'look' of the Quad, it's a tidy build....that's Welsh for 'nice'. All the electrics are finished. I reoriented the wiring at the rear of the Motion Control Module, to provide more room. Apart from that, I followed the other layouts on the Quad Forum. With rough weather forecast and now't on tele, I should make good Quad progress......Mick
Attachments
IMG_0749.JPG
IMG_0750.JPG

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hello everyone, not too much progress on the Quad front...had a general tidy up, moved the 251 as I kept knocking my feet on the tracks. All the necessary permissions received to relocate the 251 in the spare bedroom....job done.
Treated myself to a set of long reach Allen keys with handles....Mick. :)
Attachments
IMG_0753.JPG
Making room for the next model....
Making room for the next model....

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hello everyone, making progress. I have 'tapped' the top plate, where the spare wheel is located, to take an M4 CSK, so I am able to remove the plate for access to the electrics......Mick
Attachments
IMG_0759.JPG
IMG_0763.JPG
IMG_0762.JPG

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Tinkering at the edges.....concerning the 'Quads' rear top plate, holding the spare wheel. I needed to have easy access to the electrics so, as this heavy item is held in position with the 'lipped' edges I have drilled and tapped the locating holes to hold four M4x6 countersunk screws. There are two M4s on the top so it's a simple unscrew and lift to access the electrics and smoker filler......Mick.
Attachments
IMG_0764.JPG

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 1020 times
Been liked: 2090 times

Post by Stephen White »

Nice one Mick. Happy New Year. She's coming on beautifully, you're doing a great job in your fine "workshop". Unlike Airfix though, you won't be hanging this one from the ceiling. Will you be looking to put some markings on her? I've had a lot of success with printable decal sheets and a bit of work with Powerpoint. Not difficult at all. I've even taken a picture of a marking, pasted it into PPT, played with the size, colour etc and then printed it out on decal paper. Works a treat.

All the best.

Stephen

Phil Woollard
Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 7126 times

Post by Phil Woollard »

I'm not really into wheeled stuff but she looks great, lovely colour to, have you thought about having the fuel filler cap as the smoke fluid top up point? regards Phil.
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Pm for my email.

sean kerambrun
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by sean kerambrun »

Hi Mick,

I am enjoying following the build nice work. I have a C8 in boxes still and wont start it until late this year so it is great to see a build and get ideas, thanks for posting.

Cheers

Sean

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hello All, thank you for your replies. The 'Quad' has been a comfortable and enjoyable build. I will add 'markings' Stephen, and some camouflage, and your idea for the 'smoker' Phil is possible. I also thought that a small hole with a tube directly over the filler cap would work. This model was purchased as a gap filler while awaiting the next tank release....I initially started the gun and limber however, I lost interest and moved these kits on.
So, all in all, the kit builds easily and looks the part, for those builders with the 17Pdr and Limber, the Quad will be the icing on the cake....Mick

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hello all, a few tongue in cheek shots.... :wink:
Attachments
"fuels getting low sarge"
"fuels getting low sarge"
"take the next left"
"take the next left"
"everybody out"