Next Armortek model to be announced

Forum for Armortek Owners to Meet, chat and share knowledge. You are advised to check 'official advice' before carrying out any modifications.
Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 961 times
Been liked: 2046 times

Re: Next Armortek model to be announced

Post by Brian Ostlind »

Well said, Tim.

Aaron Taylor
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 29 times

Deleted by author

Post by Aaron Taylor »

Deleted by author
Last edited by Aaron Taylor on Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3218 times

Post by Armortek »

Time to move on before this thread gets a bit too personal.

Kian
Armortek

Aaron Taylor
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 29 times

Deleted by author

Post by Aaron Taylor »

Deleted by author
Last edited by Aaron Taylor on Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 977 times

Post by Jerry Carducci »

Albeit not in this, 1/6 scale, I've been in this hobby a really long time, since 1974. Most manufacturers I've known of since I began building, collecting and running these sorts of models haven't been anywhere as large or technically adept as Armortek. Most have been one or two man operations with very limited resources.

I might whine, gripe and chafe not seeing the models I want but Armortek is still the best show in town. Plus if I really want a particular model bad enough I can make it, I have machine tools and know how to use them plus I run a small but effective foundry. I've just become lazy- I don't want to make everything myself any longer hence Armortek's 'Tank_in_a_box' to the rescue. I've build a King Tiger in 1/10 from scratch as well as 5 Pz III variants, a Hetzer and a 222 all from scratch. Actually in the case of the KT I basically built it twice- once to make all the patterns and cast the parts then the second time to machine all the parts (including drilling the tracks) and assembling it.

There are few tasks as mind-numbing as drilling a few hundred track links even with the best of drilling fixtures... The first time I saw Armortek's track links I thought I'd died and gone to heaven! To be able to just assemble them while watching TV! No broken and stuck drill bits!

Time to build my own KT- probably 20 years; (and it's still only 95% finished and I was still a full time programmer back then- always on-call), as I'm slower than molasses going uphill; time to build Armortek's KT- so far less than a year.

Over the years I've heard so many wants for the more esoteric vehicles, sure I'm interested in some of them but companies have to build what their
marketing tells them will sell. I've been in the business myself and despite claims to the contrary the more unusual models won't sell as well as you think they will. Not happy to acknowledge that but it's true. I can site several real-world examples of this but I won't here.

For myself seeing as the JagdPanther is one of the more 'purposeful' looking machines to come out of its time my request is already in; if I could fit 2 in my small house I'd order.

So those of you like me hoping to see all those other machines gracing our workbenches don't lose heart- where there's a will there's always a way...

Jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

Jeff Miller
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Jeff Miller »

What do you think the chances are of them making a MAUS? Should be fairly easy compared to a lot of the other tanks, just big.

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3218 times

Post by Armortek »

Jeff Miller wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:30 pm
What do you think the chances are of them making a MAUS? Should be fairly easy compared to a lot of the other tanks, just big.
As close to 0% as one can get :-)
Armortek

Jeff Miller
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Jeff Miller »

Armortek wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:11 pm
Jeff Miller wrote:
As close to 0% as one can get :-)
So you’re saying that there’s a chance! :D

Tim Carr
Has liked: 1907 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Tim Carr »

Sounds small but, might be a chance. Maybe????

Later Tim
Tampa Bay, Fla area USA.

Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Been liked: 977 times

Post by Jerry Carducci »

Jeff Miller wrote:
I have a Maus in 1/10 scale. Even in that scale it weighs 120+ pounds. I can't imagine a 1/6 scale version.

jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

Chris Hall
Has liked: 505 times
Been liked: 655 times

Post by Chris Hall »

Too low for zero, hopefully ……

Whether or not the Maus would make a good model (and I don’t believe it would), it’s mainly an issue of practicality for Armortek. The cost of production would be enormous, and sales limited. And the likelihood of getting to Kubinka to measure the only survivor any time soon is ….

As I said - too low for zero 🙄
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)

Gerhard Michel
Been liked: 588 times

Post by Gerhard Michel »

The manufacturer Bigtanks in Volgograd (now 'dead' due to the export embargo against Russia) offered a MAUS in 1/6 scale. Despite of being built mainly with fibreglass plastic it was a heavy thing that was very difficult to handle. Built in Armortek's kind of manufacturing it would weigh about 350 kgs or more....... :roll:

Here two rare pics of this model:

kind regards
Gerhard

Ed Groenenberg
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 628 times

Post by Ed Groenenberg »

Oh, wow.... Tha is for sure a very big model.
You'll need a two axle trailer to move that model around if it was made by Armortek!
You only live once., use it to the max!

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 1012 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by Stephen White »

The World famous test pilot Capt Eric Brown wrote a pair of books titled “Wings of the Weird and Wonderful” about some truly awful aeroplanes he’d tested. If he been a tankie he might have written “Tracks of the Truly Terrible” and the Maus would have been the first entry. I can see the fascination for bigger, weirder subjects but to mix metaphors , they’ll never fly as Armortek models. I’d prefer to see Armortek’s attention focussed on operationally successful AFVs.

neil graham
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 246 times

Post by neil graham »

neil graham wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:20 pm
Poop, I guess that rules out the FAMO....unless its towing an 88mm flak :-)
Called it....if you squint hard enough :D