Pz III New Build

Forum for discussion relating to the Panzer III/StuG III
Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 1012 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: Pz III New Build

Post by Stephen White »

Stotten's Pz iii Ausf N has had an outing to Middle Wallop to celebrate its refurbishment. New figures, new spare tracks and the sandbags which appear on original photos of the tank in Tunisia.

The sandbags are close enough to scale size but sit awkwardly and look too pristine. To fix this, I gave them a generous coat of hair spray, which is the secret to getting any material based object to sit where you put it and to keep its folds and creases. I lined the tank surfaces with plastic bags to protect the underlying paint and weathering. Once they're dry, I stuck them together with PVA - this will help with holding them in position.

As with any weathering, it's about layers. The first set of layers were done with three shades of pigment. It's absorbed by the material so doesn't need fixer. The second layer is an oil based wash in a range of shades. Once they're done, knowing when to stop, the result is still a bit stark and unnatural. The final step is to apply a layer of dust - in this case a light, low pressure dusting by airbrush to bring the colours together and tone them down.

The effects after each stage are quite subtle. I've tried to get the white balance of the pictures sorted so they show under artificial light but I normally switch the lights off after each application to check in natural light .

Job done.

20230817IMG_0460-topaz-denoise-faceai.jpg
20230817IMG_0461-topaz-denoise-enhance-2x-faceai.jpg
Stotten's Pz III Ausf N in Tunisia showing the original sandbags
Stotten's Pz III Ausf N in Tunisia showing the original sandbags
Naked sand bag before hair spray fixer
Naked sand bag before hair spray fixer
After a generous application
After a generous application
The hair spray holds the folds and shape
The hair spray holds the folds and shape
Sandbags fixed together with PVA
Sandbags fixed together with PVA
Application of layers of pigment
Application of layers of pigment
Three shades of brown, light, medium and dark brown
Three shades of brown, light, medium and dark brown
Using oils to make dark stains and oily marks
Using oils to make dark stains and oily marks
Final layer - light dusting by airbrush
Final layer - light dusting by airbrush
End result
End result

simon_manning
Been liked: 1614 times

Post by simon_manning »

It's like getting an old Masterpiece out after a long storage period, you forget how good it is, regards simon.

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 1012 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by Stephen White »

Simon, thanks, appreciated.

I upgraded the spare tracks on the hull toe plate and the turret top with Liam's outstandingly accurate Pz III steel tracks. This is how I weathered them. It's quite a time consuming process, as with any weathering, to build up layers of colour. The same process works for running tracks too, with the addition of a coat of satin acrylic varnish to seal things. The process stages consist of applying primer/base coat, silvering worn areas, oil paint rendering and pigment colouring to create a patina, application of terrain effects such as mud and, in the case of this Tunisian theatre tank, dust.

Bare steel track
Bare steel track
Red/brown acrylic primer coat
Red/brown acrylic primer coat
Silvering - looks unrealistic but will tone down with weathering
Silvering - looks unrealistic but will tone down with weathering
Oil paint rendering. The cardboard absorbs excess oil and makes the paint thicker so it can be more easily blended in.
Oil paint rendering. The cardboard absorbs excess oil and makes the paint thicker so it can be more easily blended in.
IMG_1985.jpeg
Oils blended
Oils blended
Three hues of pigment applied
Three hues of pigment applied
Pigments after fisxr
Pigments after fisxr
Terrain effects - mud (acrylic paste)
Terrain effects - mud (acrylic paste)
Ready to mount on tank
Ready to mount on tank
Before dusting