Leopard 2 Prototype

Forum for discussion relating to the Leopard 2a4
Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3334 times

Re: Leopard 2 Prototype

Post by Armortek »

Rear light cluster with coloured transparent inserts - will be able to add indicator and running light LEDs.
Attachments
Leo light cluster.jpg
Leo light cluster.jpg (129.45 KiB) Viewed 2528 times
Armortek

Fabian Bekkers
Has liked: 190 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Fabian Bekkers »

Hope that front lights will also be with led 👌🏼
Huzaren van Boreel🫡

Markus Beer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 54 times

Post by Markus Beer »

Hello Kian

I think it's a pity that they can't change the idler pulley on the Leopard II to the right size during production.
Best regards

Markus

Armortek
Site Admin

Post by Armortek »

Fabian Bekkers wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:36 am
Hope that front lights will also be with led 👌🏼
Yes - both the headlights as well as the indicators.
Armortek

Armortek
Site Admin

Post by Armortek »

Markus Beer wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:04 am
Hello Kian

I think it's a pity that they can't change the idler pulley on the Leopard II to the right size during production.
Best regards

Markus
Sorry Markus but production of the whole lower hull and running gear was finished in November.
Armortek

Eric Reinhard1
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Eric Reinhard1 »

Armortek wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:17 am
I can confirm that on our model the Idler and Roadwheel are the same size.
It is not possible to change at this stage.

Kian
Kian, I would recommend that you change the idler wheel to the correct/proper size, even if it means a delay in the release. I’ve always looked at Armortek as THE preeminent manufacturer of near museum scale armor models, and would rather see a delay to “get it right” than release a model with an obvious scale flaw (unless you plan on producing a correct scale wheel later to ship to customers).

Mark Heaps
Has liked: 269 times
Been liked: 324 times

Post by Mark Heaps »

I suspect that it would be more involved than just machining new idler wheels of the correct dimensions. If they have rubber "tyres", new ones would also have to be produced. Hull sides may also need to be re-drilled to re-position the idler wheel mounting bracket because of the the smaller diameter wheels.

Fabian Bekkers

Post by Fabian Bekkers »

Here it seems that the idlerwheel is smaller indeed.
But I'm more concerned about the gunbarrel to thin and the place of the fume extractor like on the computer drawing. I hope they make it accurately 🙏
Best regards Fabian
Attachments
IMG-20231007-WA0054.jpg
FB_IMG_1704306102328.jpg
Huzaren van Boreel🫡

Fabian Bekkers

Post by Fabian Bekkers »

The shape of the gunbarrel and mounting :wink:
Attachments
Screenshot_20240103_223134_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240103_223200_Gallery.jpg
Huzaren van Boreel🫡

David Merritt
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by David Merritt »

Is not the large diameter of the gun barrel due the thermal insulation that is applied to the gun barrel to stabilise the temperature of the gun barrel to maintain the accuracy of the gun by preventing distortion of the gun barrel due to uneven temperature across and along the length of the gun barrel caused by firing the gun and the prevailing atmospheric conditions.
This thermal insulation along with other detaling can be applied as required during the building of the Leopard Tank.

Armortek
Site Admin

Post by Armortek »

Fabian Bekkers wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:30 pm

But I'm more concerned about the gunbarrel to thin and the place of the fume extractor like on the computer drawing. I hope they make it accurately
The Whole gun assembly in that image that we posted was incorrect. Solidworks used the barrel from the Chieftain. The actual model is very different.
Armortek

Fabian Bekkers

Post by Fabian Bekkers »

Thnx for the clarification armortek team 👍🏻😃
Huzaren van Boreel🫡

Armortek
Site Admin

Post by Armortek »

After all the effort that we have put into the Leopard over the last few months - and it has been quite a slog - I was not happy that we got the idlers wrong. It is a blemish that puts a dark cloud over everything that we have accomplished so far.

I have said a few times now that the Leopard 2 is the most detailed tank that we have made. It has far more parts then any other kit we have ever made and this has certainly pushed us. It can be frustrating at times but at the end of the day our products make us proud. Does that mean that we get everything right - certainly not. But it does mean that we want the kits to be the best that we can produce ... within the economic reality of what is feasible.

So, with all that said - we have made the decision to rework the idlers to the correct size.

The new rubber mould was ordered this morning and we will schedule production of the idler wheels by the end of Jan.
Armortek

Peter Quambusch
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 980 times

Post by Peter Quambusch »

Armortek wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:40 pm
After all the effort that we have put into the Leopard over the last few months - and it has been quite a slog - I was not happy that we got the idlers wrong. It is a blemish that puts a dark cloud over everything that we have accomplished so far.

I have said a few times now that the Leopard 2 is the most detailed tank that we have made. It has far more parts then any other kit we have ever made and this has certainly pushed us. It can be frustrating at times but at the end of the day our products make us proud. Does that mean that we get everything right - certainly not. But it does mean that we want the kits to be the best that we can produce ... within the economic reality of what is feasible.

So, with all that said - we have made the decision to rework the idlers to the correct size.

The new rubber mould was ordered this morning and we will schedule production of the idler wheels by the end of Jan.
Hats off Kian, An expensive, but a very good decision. It shows how much you appreciate your customers!! I´m sure this will settle the issue once and for all!! I´m very much looking forward to lay my hands on the cat! Cheers Peter
Lord, give me strength to change the things I am able to change.... and patience to endure the things I can not change :-) A bunch of Tiger and Panther variants, Leo II, Famo, 222s, a few 88`s and smaler ones like Hetzer, Stug III, 251, etc.

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 965 times
Been liked: 2066 times

Post by Brian Ostlind »

That’s great news!