Forum for discussion relating to the M26 Pershing
Ray Massa
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 116 times

Re: Ray's Build ... So far

Post by Ray Massa »

Steve McEvoy wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:31 pm
Nice layout for the electrics well done, will have a go at replicating it for mine, always seem to struggle to get the wiring tidy and l hate messy wiring.
Thanks Steve,

However there is a "small" change that needed to be made since Armortek supplied us with a new power distribution module, and asked that we don't use the old one that is shown in my original pictures. You will also be using the new larger module, not the smaller one I originally had shown. But it will not fit exactly in the same position as the old one. It will clear the turret rotation gears if kept within the inner circle of the gear ring. But it is much higher than the old one, and as a consequence, the linear motor mounting screws for the gun, will hit the 15 amp fuse that sits on top of the power module.
My layout being very tightly configured and all my wiring looms set in place, really had few options to make it fit unless I wanted to rearrange everything! I did not. So I moved the 15 amp fuse to the side of the new power module. It was very easy really. I took the top cover off, and I just cut a rectangle slot on the side, and remounted the fuse holder. Everything fits perfectly now with no clearance issues. I realize that I now voided the warranty on the new power module, but there is really nothing inside to go wrong. It is all hard wired connectors. So I can live with that. See the pictures below. The overall picture does not yet show the new fuse position. The other picture through the turret does.

-Ray
IMG_9166.jpg
IMG_9176.jpg

Ray Massa

Post by Ray Massa »

As my tank is nearly complete except for some weathering, here is my interpretation of the canvas covering the mantlet.
The framework is made of aluminum and is both on the top side of the canvas and the underside like the real tank. I used the same number of bolts (I think) and all holes are threaded using 2-56 hex head screws. It took me 6 tries to get the template right for the canvas.

-Ray
IMG_9161.jpg
IMG_9123.jpg
IMG_9129.jpg
IMG_9140.jpg

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 752 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Your canvas looks excellent! Nice work!
Bob

Steve McEvoy
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 76 times

Post by Steve McEvoy »

Good mod Ray, thanks for the heads up. Your detail work is amazing.

Ray Massa

Post by Ray Massa »

Robert E Morey wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:25 pm
Your canvas looks excellent! Nice work!
Bob
Thank you Bob. I spent a couple of weeks on it and was really glad when I was done. Just wanted to move on to something else.

-Ray

Ray Massa

Post by Ray Massa »

Steve McEvoy wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:56 pm
Good mod Ray, thanks for the heads up. Your detail work is amazing.
Thank you Steve. If I had the new power module from the onset, I am sure I would have put it elsewhere. Not many places it will fit other than between the speakers. Part of the problem I had with the height not clearing the linear motor mounting bolts, is that I made a plexiglass tray that sits on top of the batteries as I did not want to mount components directly to the batteries. So the tray can be unbolted from the hull and removed as an assembly. That used up about 5/16" in height, so it is possible it will fit without my fuse modification if mounted directly on the batteries.

-Ray

Chang
Has liked: 15621 times
Been liked: 412 times

Post by Chang »

Glad to see the perfect installation of the X AUTOHAUX 2pcs Grill Cover 5inch Mesh Protector Car Speaker Cover Woofer Grill Ray.
When I tried to do the same thing , I found the size and 4 locking holes were slightly different on location with Armortek's speaker's. Did you re-drill the speaker's frame holes?
------------------------------------------------------------------
Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.....

Aaron Taylor
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Aaron Taylor »

Very nice

Ray Massa

Post by Ray Massa »

Chang wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:33 am
Glad to see the perfect installation of the X AUTOHAUX 2pcs Grill Cover 5inch Mesh Protector Car Speaker Cover Woofer Grill Ray.
When I tried to do the same thing , I found the size and 4 locking holes were slightly different on location with Armortek's speaker's. Did you re-drill the speaker's frame holes?
I slotted the holes so that they were open on the ends.

-Ray

Ray Massa

Post by Ray Massa »

Aaron Taylor wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:58 pm
Very nice
Thanks Aaron. It has been a very fun build.

Raj Gopaldas
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Raj Gopaldas »

I like the electronics layout so far. Very neat and organized. My only question is what are the specs and manufacturer of the battery ?
Raj
—————————————————————————————————————
Jack of all, master of none.
Tiger I, Leopard A2, Panther G

Ray Massa

Post by Ray Massa »

Raj Gopaldas wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:19 pm
I like the electronics layout so far. Very neat and organized. My only question is what are the specs and manufacturer of the battery ?
Raj,

The batteries are 12V 22Ahr. Got them from Amazon.

12V 22AH SLA Battery for Wheelchair Medical Mobility - 2 Pack

-Ray

Ray Massa

Post by Ray Massa »

So my build in essentially done, with the exception of a couple more custom stencils to be applied, which I have not received yet. Also need some markings on the K-Ration crates, also will be stenciled. The helmets and bags are from the big auction site we all know.

The weathering is done to a moderate degree. I did not want it to look like it just came out of a battle, but rather a survivor with a bit of wear and grime. I know not everything may be exactly accurate as to how the paint may weather, but it is just my interpretation. And I didn't want it to look brand new. It was hard for me to start weathering after all the work I spent freshly painting it.
The machine gun, tools and ammo boxes are from Armorpax and they are a very nice quality. Highly recommend them. The machine gun lock on the rear of the turret and the track wrench on the side are from East Coast Armory.

All other mods were scratch built. If you have the Pershing you will know what they are, and my previous posts shows some of them. I hope more people will post pictures of their machines when done. So far I have only seen Tom Miller's tank completed. I will be taking it outside this weekend on its maiden run.

Thanks for all the help on the questions I have posed on the forum. All were very helpful in my first tank build.

-Ray

IMG_9245.jpg
IMG_9243.jpg
IMG_9241.jpg
IMG_9240.jpg
IMG_9244.jpg
IMG_9239.jpg
IMG_9237.jpg
IMG_9235.jpg
IMG_9234.jpg
IMG_9233.jpg
IMG_9231.jpg

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 758 times
Been liked: 1732 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Love it.

Vince

Chang
Has liked: 15621 times
Been liked: 412 times

Post by Chang »

Love the internal layout , the mantlet canvas cover and painting Ray.

Just found that no co-axial machine gun (at least the barrel) included in the kit. :)
------------------------------------------------------------------
Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.....