Forum for discussion relating to the Panzer III/StuG III
florian rudolf
Has liked: 288 times
Been liked: 637 times

Re: Mick's StuG 111

Post by florian rudolf »

michael hilton wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:38 pm
Good evening everyone, back to the more mundane...finally replaced my worn out filing system for all those M screws/bolts /nuts/pins/ rivets. and on and on. Sixty compartments, Tool Bits Organiser Unit, on Ebay. I previously used large tray type boxes and small plastic bags, labelled. Eventually the label's fall off or become oil stained. Woe is me.
Cold weather or not it's into the garage tomorrow and out with the rattle cans for some undercoat...on the StuG of course....Mick :)
You will see soon. The space is too small :D
20201123_181408.jpg

michael hilton
Has liked: 1565 times
Been liked: 835 times

Post by michael hilton »

Thank you Florian, I should have purchased a bigger box :) Once more into the breach dear friends...once more...and so on. The breach in this instance is 'the garage' ..... brass monkey this morning...must remember to wear the mask...Mick
Attachments
IMG_1953.JPG

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning everyone, absolutely perishing in the garage over the weekend, nevertheless, ''needs must when the devil drives''. Managed to lay down the Acid Etch in the shortest time possible. Just to say, the parts for painting are at room temperature, masked and otherwise ready. I have the spraying area warming with my trusty hair drier, aka the wife. Parts are quickly set up, sprayed and the drying system turned on. It is a gentle air flow and helps to disperse the odour. Ok, it works for me.... :roll: I feel the need to crack on, however this build is a Winter project, so there....Mick
Attachments
IMG_1954.JPG

Roy Beukeveld
Has liked: 171 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Roy Beukeveld »

Nice going Michael, good to see some improvising to keep the work going 8)
Keeping the temperatures up is a challenge nowadays, the winter gives time to build but can make it difficult while being so cold.
Be careful with the hairdryer though, if the wife finds it in different colors than she bought it you might get in trouble ;)
Kind regards,
Roy

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hello everyone, I have...by devious means....quietly, transferred my spray booth into my 'workshop'. No mean feat...my wife has the eyes of a hawk. To be fair, it's far too cold in the garage, for a person of age. I am making progress although slow and somewhat laboured. The StuG is coming along nicely, a little sanding here and there, ready to install the suspension. I have noted the recommendations in other posts....Mick.
Attachments
IMG_1957.JPG
IMG_1956.JPG

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Morning all, lashing down here in Mid Wales...'lockdown' has it's advantages...Mick
Attachments
Panzergrau
Panzergrau

Steen Vøler
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 498 times

Post by Steen Vøler »

saw a bit of blue in the sky an hour ago - that have been a very long time since last time it appeared on the sky
cheers
Steen

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

How are you all ?.... it's as black as black can be...outside. Preparing to isolate...one member of our family only, for Christmas, our youngest son. Thought you may enjoy a tour of my workshop, ( third Bedroom ). Making ready for paint, I decided on PanzerGrau,,,,,overall, with light weathering.
Plenty of useful information on the Forum...I am enjoying the many builds...Mick
Attachments
IMG_1961.JPG
IMG_1962.JPG
IMG_1963.JPG
IMG_1964.JPG
IMG_1965.JPG
IMG_1966.JPG
IMG_1967.JPG

David Brady
Has liked: 158 times
Been liked: 688 times

Post by David Brady »

Hi,

Nice work Mick your a pro at turning these around - you have quite
a collection now.

Cheers

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning chaps, reorganised the workshop making ready to fit the Stug suspension. Most Stug builds on the Forum are way ahead, and following some of the issues raised I am fortunate, all my Armortek tank builds are for the pleasure I get from building....No hard running, carpet, manicured grass, etc,. so I construct 'out of the box' then stand back to admire what Armortek have gifted me...Mick
Attachments
I simply moved the table....what are you like ?
I simply moved the table....what are you like ?

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

How time flies...all set and ready to install the StuG suspension ....
Attachments
IMG_1972.JPG

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning everyone, all quiet on the western front. Christmas not quite the same this year. More progress on the StuG, set the suspension arm angles and tightened the grub screws, very tightly. How tight is 'very tight' we will see when she is on the ground and running. Thick carpet ain't the same as thick mud. Now for the sprockets...Mick
Attachments
IMG_1976.JPG
Herr Meiling checking the angles
Herr Meiling checking the angles

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Morning all, nasty day weather wise. Progress on the StuG front, not much detail to show however, the suspension angles are set. I will install the wheels this week using my tried and trusted method...securing the tyres to the wheel rim with heavy duty M3 double sided tape, which works for me. :roll:
The old girl is fed up with lying face down and is crying out to be turned over...so it shall be. :) .....Mick
Attachments
IMG_1979.JPG
IMG_1980.JPG

John Clarke
Been liked: 1709 times

Post by John Clarke »

There is an obvious answer to your last statement. But I won't lower myself into marital matters. :lol:
I will say that's one tidy looking comfortable workshop and it's giving me a complex that I'm not worthy and never will be. :mrgreen:
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Morning John, thank you....a side of myself I try to suppress, got me into so much trouble as a young man...from my dads side of the family I guess. My workshop is a 'needs be' very little room in every sense. Anyone who was conscripted will understand 'neat and tidy' ....never did me any harm. I am enjoying your build along with many others.
While installing the StuG wheels, one of the suspension arms came loose. Withdrew the said arm, only to find I had not only failed to tighten the grub screws...I hadn't fitted any. Old age does not come on it's own...