Dave's Tiger I (Early) Kit Build Thread

Forum for discussion relating to Tiger 1, Mid, Early, Late Production and Sturmtiger
Dave Goodwin
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 121 times

Re: Dave's Tiger I (Early) Kit Build Thread

Post by Dave Goodwin »

Thanks for the drawing, and theoretically that's what I would have expected - a bit of thread through the nut. Sadly, that's not what I am seeing. Here's what I have:
IMG_5547.jpg
IMG_5549.jpg
The photo may appear as if there is enough length protruding but there is not. When tightened, it doesn't even make it halfway through the nut. I can solve the length issue easily enough by just buying longer bolts and cutting them flush to the nut. I have no tools with which to bring the fastener flush to the deck or, better, below the deck slightly so the screw can be hidden. Looking at the local shops today, it seems all the countersink tools I can buy locally are made for woodworking, not metal. Does this look like the appropriate tool? https://www.mcmaster.com/28145A72/

I also tried popping an M3 into the hole. That sits down in there nicely but seems a bit thin. I don't know that I could trust it with the weight of the turret. Anyone done that?

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1296 times
Been liked: 1511 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

You'll probably find that if you countersink the hole to the correct depth, there's enough thread to engage the nut properly.

I use Ruko countersink bits, which have three cutting edges and don't chatter like other ones I have used.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Donald Suttie
Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 187 times

Post by Donald Suttie »

I have used this set on my build from the
beginning and find it great
you can also use the bits in a drill to speed things up with caution

Csk hand drill set

Dave Goodwin

Post by Dave Goodwin »

Thanks fellas. Have ordered some tools and will wait until they arrive to continue.

Donald Suttie
Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 187 times

Post by Donald Suttie »

The Countersink bits come in handy to level the underside of the tank,i originally used the supplied hex bolts but after a quick test run found the hex bolts started to pick up long grass and dirt
so i ordered countersink bolts and replaced and filled the holes which is so much nicer a look

Donald

Dave Goodwin

Post by Dave Goodwin »

Thanks for that tool link Donald. I bought that set and it does indeed work quite nicely. I may think about countersinking those lower hull bolts too. I wondered if they might be snag spots. Sounds like they can be...

Dave Goodwin

Post by Dave Goodwin »

OK, need a bit of advice. Which of the Loctites would you experienced guys recommend for bonding the nylon-type bushings for the gun recoil into the aluminum parts? It isn't metal-to-metal but nor is it metal-to-rubber. I was going to use the 480 but then decided I should ask...

Thanks!

Derek Attree
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 158 times

Post by Derek Attree »

Hi Dave
I use deluxe materials Super Cyrillic for that as not had
much luck using loctite for the nylon bush.

But others may know better .

Regards Derek
we must stop making stupid predictions