Muttley and tinys bridge

All topics related to Armortek's Bailey Bridge
Steve Lewington
Has liked: 8381 times
Been liked: 277 times

Re: Muttley and tinys bridge

Post by Steve Lewington »

Good morning Charles and Mark
Thank you guys for the comments both appreciated.
Charles i agree fully with you about painting all the parts prior to assembly.
Once we finished the the panel there was that light bulb moment hence the rattle can for the nooks and crannies.
So for now were going to degrease and undercoat and hopefully the top coat will be with us by Wednesday.
As for being fiddly when you have fingers like Sausages most definitely that's where every one needa a sidekick named Tiny he makes it look so easy lol.

Mark
Very observant of you I never noticed at the moment were in Aberdeen city babysitting our granddaughters with Tiny as back up as if I've not got enough gray hairs already.
I will have a look at that tonight when we get home it it's not to late.
It's an easy fix to put right.

Have a lovely day
Take care and keep safe.

Steve and Luke
There is no time for peace.
No respite.
No forgiveness.
There is only ......WAR.

SdKfz 7 Half Track, 88mm Flak 36, Panzer III, TIGER I Mid 2010, Panzer iv, Sdkfz251, Famo ,Chech Hedgehog x2
Ammo limber, 25 pounder, Baily Bridge.

Mark Heaps
Has liked: 269 times
Been liked: 324 times

Post by Mark Heaps »

I was not trying to nitpick. Your photos had me going back to the manual to double-check if I had got it wrong or different to what is depicted.
I cannot envisage the screws being inserted from the opposite side affecting the structural integrity or the later build process.
Just that the panels may look odd or out of sorts when used in the bridge-building challenge laid down by the Dutch/German owners at Militracks if everyone else has done it by the book.

Phil Dawe
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by Phil Dawe »

Steve Lewington wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:43 pm
Good evening guys.
Just a small update today.
One panel is now fully assembled glued and screwed as we would say just have to touch up the undercoat now on the bear metal of the fixings.
For any new members of the forum or any one not too sure on building the panels it's not to clear in the picture part 107 is shown fitted to the top of the panel only it is also fitted to the bottom as can be seen in one of the photos.
For anyone interested in the paint i mentioned in my last post I have found a supplier.
Paints R us
Phone number 01482 342216 ask for Keith
The paint is scc2 drab (brown)
2.5 litre tin cost £41.85
Rattle can is £17.45
I also ordered thinners to knock the tin down for the sprayer and best of all for you guys in England its post free.
John
I'm also looking forward to you getting started on your build if you require any more information PM me bud.

Take care and keep safe all

Steve and Luke
Well spotted reference Part 107 Steve, I have just completed my eighth panel and was wondering why I had some 107s left having followed the drawing closely. Easy to add the bottom ones!

Steve Lewington

Good afternoon Phil
Yes I counted out the parts on the instructions and found I had 16 parts of 107 unaccounted for it was when I counted the fixings on the bottom the penny dropped.
All the best take care and keep safe.
Steve
No respite.
No forgiveness.
There is only ......WAR.

SdKfz 7 Half Track, 88mm Flak 36, Panzer III, TIGER I Mid 2010, Panzer iv, Sdkfz251, Famo ,Chech Hedgehog x2

Robert Reid
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 446 times

Post by Robert Reid »

Great looking start to build!

Question for all you guys who have done/researched Bailey's...

Does anyone have close-ups of the actual fasteners they used? Pins with some bolts I presume? I have a 'thing' for getting fasteners right (see my other builds) and while the allen's are very rugged and make for a great build, I am curious if there are pictures showing how the pins/bolts/fasterners look.

Might be as simple as re-shaping the head on a lathe and filling the 'Torx' hole with epoxy before painting.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

RPR

PS. Had to fell a 400 year old + maple on my property yesterday. It dropped two limbs through my garage roof and there was not saving it. So I am going to mill my 'boards' from some wood made from the tree. Something to help a tree that was probably 100 years old before the Declaration of Independence was signed... will live on.

Steve Lewington

Hi Robert
I done a small amount of research on the same thing the best I can offer you is that frrom all the photos I looked at the majority of the bridge panels ect were welded i never saw any with bolts ect showing.
Hope this helps.

Steve
No respite.
No forgiveness.
There is only ......WAR.

Donald Suttie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 187 times

Post by Donald Suttie »

Here Is Some reference shots of a local Bailey Bridge
Untidtled.jpg
Untitddled.jpg
Untiaatled.jpg
Unssdtitled.jpg
Untitddfled.jpg
Untifdfdtled.jpg
Unffdtitled.jpg
Untitlsssded.jpg
Untitlffgfed.jpg
Hope it helps with some builds
Donald

Steve Lewington

Hi Donald
Thank you for sharing they're worth they're weight in gold.

Mark
I looked at the instructions and my panel and yes I see what you mean.
I am building my panels in pairsthe second panel being a mirror image of the first ans so on thus when it's finished all the nuts will be on the outside on both sides.

Best regards

Steve and tiny
No respite.
No forgiveness.
There is only ......WAR.

Damon Resch
Has liked: 708 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Damon Resch »

Love the patina of that bridge! For anyone who's going to weather theirs, this is a real beauty. Thanks for posting.

Robert Reid
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 446 times

Post by Robert Reid »

Thanks! These help!

Agree that a lot of the panels are welded. It's the fasteners between sections that are really helpful!

These photos are great!

Thanks and cheers!

RPR

Mark Heaps

Post by Mark Heaps »

Hi Donald,
Can you confirm the other side from the same end looks the same, ie both ends having either both male or both female ?
Untitddled.jpg
Untitddled.jpg (275.64 KiB) Viewed 516 times
If so then doing the panels as a mirror image would make a lot of sense.

Donald Suttie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 187 times

Post by Donald Suttie »

Hi Mark
i am not sure what you mean,if its from the outside edge ,then its a no without killing myself ,as its around a 100ft drop,if its from the other side on the inside then yes i have a few other pictures i can upload

the bridge has been there and was in use for 20 odd years but is still in situ which is nearer to 40 years,since the road was bypassed
i may start a new thread with all the photos that i took,i have a couple of shots of the outside edge but as i say these were a bit risky due to the sheer drop,hence the bridge is there in the first place

Donald

Gary Richardson
Has liked: 713 times
Been liked: 1641 times

Post by Gary Richardson »

Donald Suttie wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2024 7:04 pm
Hi Mark
i am not sure what you mean,if its from the outside edge ,then its a no without killing myself ,as its around a 100ft drop,if its from the other side on the inside then yes i have a few other pictures i can upload

the bridge has been there and was in use for 20 odd years but is still in situ which is nearer to 40 years,since the road was bypassed
i may start a new thread with all the photos that i took,i have a couple of shots of the outside edge but as i say these were a bit risky due to the sheer drop,hence the bridge is there in the first place

Donald
Hi Donald
Great photos and thankyou for posting them. Do you know anyone with a drone that could capture some images from outside the bridge, just a thought.

Regards
Gary
2021 Late Tiger 1 Abteilung 301 (Funklenk), 2022 Churchill Mk3 AVRE, 2x Czech Hedgehogs, 2024 Triple span Bailey Bridge, M26 Pershing.

Mark Heaps

Post by Mark Heaps »

Hi Donald,
to clarify, I would like to know of the panels on the other side of the bridge also have the circled male connectors at the same end of the bridge.
Untitddled.jpg
Untitddled.jpg (313.73 KiB) Viewed 405 times

Steve Lewington

Hi guys
Hope everyone has had a lovely Sunday.
Tiny and I spent the afternoon degreaseing all the remaining parts of the bridge ready to start undercoating tomorrow.
The only parts that required any attention were 117 and 118 a quick 10 minutes with a file and some wet and dry paper job done.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Steve and Luke.
Attachments
20240728_161759.jpg
20240728_161814.jpg
20240728_161738.jpg
20240728_161754.jpg
No respite.
No forgiveness.
There is only ......WAR.