steel sprocket rings for the universal carrier

Forum for discussion relating to the Universal Carrier
Derek Attree
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 151 times

steel sprocket rings for the universal carrier

Post by Derek Attree »

Hi Guys
Whilst at the Warwick Model engineering show I had a conversation with a company about getting
some laser cut steel sprocket rings made for my universal carrier.

After a couple of samples we have come up with a design of a sprocket ring that is to my liking.

These fit my tracks very well but please note.

These are a different Tooth pitch to the original Armortek kit items but I ordered them to give a better location on my tracks.

My tracks are with the split pins but I have drilled out the holes to 0.8mm from the original 0.6mm holes to try to ease the warp I was getting.

I also tried with a length of track with Daves turned pins and it seems to roll ok.

They need a fair bit of deburing as laser cut steel does and the sprocket mounting holes need clearing through with a drill and
they are 3mm thick mild steel.

I have to say I am not going to be selling them but you can order direct from the company that produced them for me and details are below.

Model Engineers Laser the guys name is Ed.

Sales@modelengineerslaser.co.uk

Telephone 07927 087172

The item number is 34657 (Derek A tank sprocket)

Pricing from Ed is reasonable and will be set by Ed when you order.

Regards

Derek
we must stop making stupid predictions

Steve McEvoy
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: steel sprocket rings for the universal carrier

Post by Steve McEvoy »

Just fitted a set to my carrier Derek, The pitch is perfect and hole position for bolts spot on. The only thing l had to do was grind off the ridge on the hub as the inner diameter is 2mm smaller than the original, did this with a Dremmel and worked fine. Ed asked me to let him know as they hadn't been fitted to a working model so i will mention the discrepancy and i'm sure he will adjust for future cutting. Thanks for the heads up on this, my carrier hasn't jumped the track since. Well worth the money, would recommend them to anyone with a carrier.
Steve.

Derek Attree
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: steel sprocket rings for the universal carrier

Post by Derek Attree »

Hi Steve
Good to hear I only tried rolling the tooth pitch down a length of track thanks for the feedback.
I will bore mine out when I fit them but currently it has Mr Wollards rings fitted and seems to roll just fine.
Glad you are happy with them.

I am in full Hetzer mode at the moment.

Regards Derek
we must stop making stupid predictions