Motor, running problem.

Forum for Armortek Owners to Meet, chat and share knowledge. You are advised to check 'official advice' before carrying out any modifications.
keithbraun
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 16 times

Motor, running problem.

Post by keithbraun »

I'm in the process of preparing my Stug for a few public events this year. It'll be the first time I've taken my model out. I've fully charged the batteries and have taken it out into my garden to make sure everything is running correct. Apart from losing a cap for one of my idlers I found that the model slows down after about 5 minutes of use, but it runs fine on reverse. I'm using a one stick operation and notice that I'm running the stick off centre in order to keep the Stug in a straight line. I noticed that one of the motors was slowing down when I dry ran it on a bench but hoped that it would cure itself. There are no obstructions in the drive gear box as I have checked this and have made sure that everything is running free. If I re-boot (switch off the model) and try again it runs fine for a few minutes. I'll be attending the Armortek open day, Militracks and a small R/C meeting local to where I live. Any simple fixes? Thanks in advance.

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1296 times
Been liked: 1511 times

Re: Motor, running problem.

Post by Adrian Harris »

Sounds like an overheating issue. Which motion pack do you have ?

If it's the Red Box system, then there heatsinks on either side of Module A. Are they at noticeably different temperatures ?

Are any of the wires or connectors getting hot ?

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

keithbraun

Post by keithbraun »

Adrian Harris wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:09 pm
Sounds like an overheating issue. Which motion pack do you have ?

If it's the Red Box system, then there heatsinks on either side of Module A. Are they at noticeably different temperatures ?

Are any of the wires or connectors getting hot ?

Adrian.
Yes Adrian, I have the red box type, I'll check it out. Cheers.

Donald Suttie
Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 187 times

Post by Donald Suttie »

keithbraun wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:48 pm
I'm in the process of preparing my Stug for a few public events this year. It'll be the first time I've taken my model out. I've fully charged the batteries and have taken it out into my garden to make sure everything is running correct. Apart from losing a cap for one of my idlers I found that the model slows down after about 5 minutes of use, but it runs fine on reverse. I'm using a one stick operation and notice that I'm running the stick off centre in order to keep the Stug in a straight line. I noticed that one of the motors was slowing down when I dry ran it on a bench but hoped that it would cure itself. There are no obstructions in the drive gear box as I have checked this and have made sure that everything is running free. If I re-boot (switch off the model) and try again it runs fine for a few minutes. I'll be attending the Armortek open day, Militracks and a small R/C meeting local to where I live. Any simple fixes? Thanks in advance.
Hi i have a similar issue with my Tiger 1,i just assumed it was a throttle mixing issue,i too have the red boxes,i haven't noticed any overheating issue
just the fact when the tank is powered up it runs fast for a few moments,then slows down and stays like that,like you mine is fine in reverse
i am not sure if this the same exact issue as yours or because i am using a Spekrum NX 10 and it is not compatible in some way,the radio control gear
as i have all the radio gear out now,i am unable to revisit my original tests on the system,and because this is the first post with much the same issue,i was going to wait and see when i get the radio gear back in,i think i did flag this up earlier with Armortek directly or on this forum,but it was some time ago,i will watch this with interest

Paul Sparkes
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 209 times

Post by Paul Sparkes »

In 5 minutes of running unless you have a binding problem on the final drive or something isn't running freely then it shouldn't overheat. The stug should run all day without overheating. Id check if everything is running smoothly.

I recently had a final drive gear rubbing on a hull side which caused a tank to turn to one side, I too thought it was radio gear related until I took it all apart and fixed the problem. I have seen the spur gear on the motor output binding on the final drive case this will also cause binding ( I had this on my jagdtiger when I first installed motors).
Jagdtiger 2020 number 40. With Gun Smoke, CO2 recoil and Driving on custom Brushless motors.
Leopard “ The Bear” build with a difference. Big power for good reason.
222 scout car
See my YouTube for video's https://www.youtube.com/@TheMinimivic/featured

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1296 times
Been liked: 1511 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

One other thing to check is to disconnect the sound and just run the leads from the receiver to Module A and see if it runs normally.

I spent ages fault finding a Churchill which occasionally ran slowly, and it turned out to be an incompatibility with the Spektrum RC equipment.

The owner swapped to a Taranis TX and RX and it drove perfectly.

Adrian
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Donald Suttie
Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 187 times

Post by Donald Suttie »

Cheers Adrian
i hadn't mentioned it again on here as its took me this long to get a rolling chassis,it defo isn't the internal gearboxes as they have been stripped down and checked,so i suspected it was a software control issue,i also had my eye on that newer radio system that is built on the open TX software so i was rethinking the whole thing in general

thanks
Donald

keithbraun

Post by keithbraun »

Just thought that I'd add that I'm using a Flysky transmitter. I'm going to be at the factory open day in April and hope that someone may offer me some guidence. I really want this running right at Militracks. I shall try some of the suggestion before hand. Thank you gentlemen.