drive gear type?

Forum for discussion relating to the Leopard 2a4
JesseGuthritsch
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 23 times

drive gear type?

Post by JesseGuthritsch »

Hello,

I didn't order the drive kit for the Leopard partly becasue that's the part I think is super fun to design myself and my long term goal is to drive the tracks hydraulicly and I didn't need more BLDC motors and ESC for my collection.

Thag being said, it seems the base kit comes with spur gear (that's about 3" OD) that drives the drive sprockets but I didn't measure or even look at the spur gears teeth profile (before locktighting everything in place) so I have no clue what matching gear yo get for the drive shaft I need to make.

So does anyone know what kinda spur gear the Leopard has for its drives?

Paul Sparkes
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 150 times

Re: drive gear type?

Post by Paul Sparkes »

Jesse,

Traditionally AT have used this type of gear on the output of the gearbox
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/spur-gears/5216402?gb=s

I have used these a few times on conversions I have done. Cant say if the leopard is the same though, sorry.
Jagdtiger 2020 number 40. With Gun Smoke, CO2 recoil and Driving on custom Brushless motors.

See my YouTube for video's https://www.youtube.com/@TheMinimivic/featured

John Clarke
Been liked: 1622 times

Post by John Clarke »

Hydraulic drive, that's an interesting concept, any particular reason why, and are you going to do turret traverse and elevation too in the same way? :?
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

JesseGuthritsch

Paul Sparkes wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:46 pm
Jesse,

Traditionally AT have used this type of gear on the output of the gearbox
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/spur-gears/5216402?gb=s

I have used these a few times on conversions I have done. Cant say if the leopard is the same though, sorry.
Thanks! I'll order a few of these 1.5 module spur gears to see if they fit. I don't mess with spur gears often but it looks like the Leopard kit came with a 35 tooth 1.5 module gear for the final drive.
Although I could have sworn I measured it to be a 1 module gear last night but I bet I messed the formula up for calculating the module.

JesseGuthritsch

John Clarke wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:04 am
Hydraulic drive, that's an interesting concept, any particular reason why, and are you going to do turret traverse and elevation too in the same way? :?
Yep, my goal is to have the turret traverse and elevation to be hydraulic too. I was thinking of 2 large 6374 bldc motors powering 2 separate rc hydraulic pumps for each drive side and then a smaller 5055 hydraulic pump for the turret control.

John Clarke
Been liked: 1622 times

Post by John Clarke »

It certainly is an interesting concept. I'm far from being an expert in such things, other than knowing that there's a few large scale metal model manufactures selling bulldozers, diggers and cranes brought from the China area of the world.
I would offer a word of caution, even though the Armortek model tanks are quite large, the space inside can be used up very quickly. And although very powerful, hydraulics can be some what slow without the presence of a set of decent gearboxes.
I'm not selling Armortek drive systems, but I know enough to know that they will provide you with enough power on the deck, without over straining the rest of the drive train supplied with the model.
Good luck with the design and I look forward to seeing it in action.
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

JesseGuthritsch

Thanks!

I have wanted to dabble in hydraulics my whole life but I also have no professional experience so it's best for me to experiment with RC scale hydraulics. I built a small RC style hydraulics pump and relief valve a few years ago that could safely pump a few hundrew ml/min at about 1000psi but never did anything with it. I'll was hoping to use that for the turrent control.

JesseGuthritsch

so im just an idiot. I remeasured the gear and it's 55.5mm OD with 35 teeth so definitely a 1.5 module gear. Time for another mcmaster carr order...