What Capacity Battery for the Easy Eight?

Forum for discussion relating to the Sherman.
Andy Walker
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 42 times

What Capacity Battery for the Easy Eight?

Post by Andy Walker »

I'm looking at various batteries for my Easy Eight and have decided on a LifePO4 battery. I have found one that I'm thinking of using ( x 2 )and wondered if it would be suitable capacity wise?

Nominal voltage 12.8v
Nominal Capacity 24ah
Max discharge Current 24 Amp
Pulse 60 Amps <3 seconds

Andy Walker

Re: What Capacity Battery for the Easy Eight?

Post by Andy Walker »

Any ideas?

Chris Hall
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 631 times

Post by Chris Hall »

Sorry, Andy - missed this first time around .........

Others know a lot more about LiFePO4 batteries than I do ! I've been following their advice, and have pretty well my entire fleet converted from Lead Acid now. But, from my experience:

1x 24v battery is much better that 2x 12v. You don't have to charge the batteries seperately, and you don't confuse the BMS in each battery. Size-wise, a 24v battery is usually the same as 2x 12v's, possibly even smaller and lighter.

As for Amps, my Mark IV will run all day on a 20A battery. My Centurion and Panther both run on 30A, which is probably overkill but will last a whole weekend without recharging. I've not actually seen an Easy Eight running, but I'd imagine anything in the 20-30A range would be fine.

Hope this helps,

Chris
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

I'm afraid I'm going to contradict Chris and say that two 12V batteries are barely heavier and are easier to locate in a tank than one 24V block.

And I've not had any problem with charging in series confusing either the chargers or the BMS's.

My first LiFePO4 battery was from an e-bike shop, made up of eight cells and rated at 15Ah at 24V. That would run my T-34 all day on grass, and the BMS only kicked in twice, over several years running, due to me having fully discharged the battery at a show. That pack was rated at 45A continuous and 150A pulse current.

I have recently acquired a running Easy8 but haven't wired it up with telemetry, so don't yet know what current it requires. Mine came with 2 x Yuasa 22Ah AGM batteries, so I'll keep them in there until they run out of puff.

The smoker takes 2A, the sound around 4-5A depending on the volume, so you have 17 or 18 amps for everything else. Even though the Easy8 has smooth tracks, I think you might struggle with only 24A continuous current supply, especially turning on longer grass. I'm just building up some packs with nominal 20Ah capacity and am fitting 40A continuous rated BMS boards.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Andy Walker

Post by Andy Walker »

Thanks for the info. Its the constant and peak amps I'm concerned about. Maybe I'll have to keep looking...its a shame Tracer batteries are so expensive.

Gerhard Michel
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 559 times

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Knowing that LiFes can usually stand much more than 40 amps continuous current I would choose 60 amps continuous current or more (may be 150 to 200 amps peak current). In our models a BMS is only necessary to avoid deep discharge or overcharging, but no current limitations. An automatic fuse is much better to stop high currents, because it can simply be switched on again without using a second battery or a charger 'in field operation'.
kind regards
Gerhard