Tim's 2014 Mid Production Tiger Build Thread

Forum for discussion relating to Tiger 1, Mid, Early, Late Production and Sturmtiger
Tim Carr
Has liked: 1434 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by Tim Carr »

Well, due to several reason I was thinking about another Tiger build or at least the turret of a Tiger.
Main reason is I wanted to have my Tiger #131 be a running Tiger and I wanted to detail as much as I could on another. If I only got a turret then add in a Strabokran and make and photograph several interesting repair dioramas.

So, enter a For Sale ad from someone in Florida a few hours away.
viewtopic.php?t=9835
ad copy

Mid production Tiger 1 for sale Post by Greg Stephens » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:04 am
I have a partially assembled mid production Tiger 1 for sale. No motors but lots of extras including one of Ivano Costantini's maybachs.
I have all of the parts, even some duplicates I picked up on the way.
Lots of extra components and a Raaaco box with lots of extra fasteners.
Also included are an airbrush and lots of MIG paints.
(Extras that were also for sale, my comment)
I have a superchief induction soldering gun as well. This system was designed for model railroaders. Essential if you plan on any fabrication.
I also have a lot of very nice reference books. There are NO electronics or motors included.
I am in Port Saint Lucie Florida. $4,0000 US or best offer.

Did a private message and a post in the thread and the next thing I know, my Wife and I are driving over and buying it and the extras.

First, to John @ ECA and all of the other folks that redo other folks builds, My Hats off to you. I'm thinking that it's far easier to start with new in the box. In this partially assembled kit I'm happy to say so far, NO Major Problems. Redoing several areas, spending lots of time sorting.
So much fun sorting 2.5m nuts from a pile of 3mm and 4mm nuts. And how long is this screw and what type?? Seems most of the nuts and bolts and major parts are here. Everything but the directions and the COA.

I'm going to post a few pics. Then in other posts in this thread I'll post a few more pics with problems and questions rather than 1 big, huge post, several day-by-day postings.

Main box
mid box IMG_9634.jpg
Name and Number please, Armortek 2014 #23. Yes, those are cobwebs and Loctited in place bronze bushings that are sticking out. I've got them apart and almost fixed.
mid name number bronze out IMG_9632.jpg
Pop, Pop, Pop, no not for New Years, those are pop rivets, not screws and nuts. Also see above pic. Talk about those on another post in this thread.
rivet IMG_9599.jpg
Primer and "welding" already done in some areas.
mid outside IMG_9603.jpg
Enjoy your building!

Later Tim

My Tiger #131 thread
viewtopic.php?t=9876
Fun Beginners Tiger Tip thread
viewtopic.php?t=9875
Tampa Bay, Fla area USA.

neil graham
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 210 times

Re: Tim's 2014 Mid Production Tiger Build Thread

Post by neil graham »

Its fabulous to know you will fulfill its destiny :D

Are you going to drill the rivets out?

Tim Carr

To Drill or not to Drill that is the question and Roses

Post by Tim Carr »

Neil
To Drill or not to Drill that is the question.
Still not sure, as everything is stable at this time and the pop rivets have been finished over and sprayed in primer, so still thinking I'll decide another day after a few things calm down.

Posted this in my other thread but the Tool chest was really for this Tiger. But this thread has more stuff at the end.
Well, it's been several days since I have done much with my Tigers themselves. Several reasons, while getting lumber for improving my attic storage space, I saw a Husky 9 drawer tool chest with a 24" x 46" top. Took the wood home, reviewed size and price. When back the following day and bought it for my Mid Production Tiger to sit on. A little on the high side, 37 1/2 inches. Yes, going to need to make or buy some ramps to get it down if needed. As it's on good 5" rollers I might think about rolling it to the back of my pickup truck and they will be about at the same height. But still going to need ramps someday. I had to decide between a lift without locking storage and the 9 huge lockable drawers, both at about the same price.
Link to a pic of what I bought. I'll take and post a few pics of the setup after I get everything back in place.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-SD-46 ... /319879587

At the start of this thread, I said that I bought a dozen Roses for my Wife, while I got this Tiger. Well, the Roses were DIY Rose Bushes. Here are a few pics. The best one of the 12 at this time.
New Rose 01 04 2024 IMG_9646.jpg
The Rose Bush from 2 years ago almost had a dozen, yesterday's pic. About half of them are in full bloom today.
mid Roses IMG_9642.jpg
mid roses 2 IMG_9643.jpg
Ok, no more Rose pics I Promise.

Enjoy the build.

Later Tim
Tampa Bay, Fla area USA.

Tim Carr

Re: Tim's 2014 Mid Production Tiger Build Thread

Post by Tim Carr »

Been busy reviewing the Tank and what I should redo and what I should leave alone. And buying toolchests to put Tank builds on and then finding a place in this house to put them. Finding the floor space is the hardest.

More later.

This is the last Tank owners build thread.

viewtopic.php?t=5697

Enjoy the build!

Later Tim

My Tiger #131 build thread

viewtopic.php?t=9876
Tampa Bay, Fla area USA.