Forum for discussion relating to the Chietain MBT
Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1708 times

Re: MRS 3D model

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Thanks Stephen.

Credit where credit is due.

Gunners sight was a collaboration with David Battson.

MRS was a collaboration with John, Charles, Steve and also David who all in some way or other gave their input.

Vince

John Clarke
Been liked: 1622 times

Post by John Clarke »

Couldn't resist, popped in the Hi intensity LED, not sure what the "check alignment" elevation angle would be for the Chieftains 120mm gun.
Guessed below the horizontal on level ground and this would be a safer angle for prying eyes.
It'll also keep the cat busy for hours too. :lol:
SAM_2454.JPG
SAM_2455.JPG
SAM_2459.JPG
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1708 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

OMG

Vince

Richard Goodwin
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 270 times

Post by Richard Goodwin »

Nice to see you haven’t lost your theatrical touch John :o

Mark Heaps
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 282 times

Post by Mark Heaps »

John Clarke wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:56 pm
Couldn't resist, popped in the Hi intensity LED, not sure what the "check alignment" elevation angle would be for the Chieftains 120mm gun.
Guessed below the horizontal on level ground and this would be a safer angle for prying eyes.
Too theatrical John and not how the system worked. The light source lamp was not a directed beam that had to be adjusted in elevation angle to strike the mirror.
By depressing the gun, and therefore the sight picture, to a position aligning 2 markers, the gunner would have the position of the MRS light source housing reflected back into his sight. Adjusting the position of the light source lamp horizontally & vertically would move the reflected dot left/right and up/down in his sight picture.
Initial adjustment to the light source lamp was so that the reflected dot was coincident with his main aiming mark.
On firing the barrel would heat up and bend, affecting the accuracy and point of fall of shot, also moving the position of the mirror at the end of the barrel and moving where the reflection of the light source appeared in his sight. The gunner would correct for this loss of accuracy by following the dot whilst MRS-ing either by adjusting his sight or doing a manual correction when aiming.
When no longer firing the barrel would cool down and straighten up returning the mirror back towards its original position, and also the fall of shot. The gunner would track this by also periodically MRS-ing during times when he was not firing but purely observing and the barrel was cooling down.

Manny Leung
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 83 times

Post by Manny Leung »

rps20231218_155003.jpg
Here's my gunner's sight fresh out of the build plate.Thanks again to Vince for the files they are fantastic!

Resin printing is the way to go if you want a detailed and smooth print.

John Clarke
Been liked: 1622 times

Post by John Clarke »

Nice job Manny MRS next?

Mark H, Course I get workings of the MRS alignment and how it takes seconds too check, not really rocket science.
At least I know that the Gun's depressed to check the alignment, thanks for that. 8) It doesn't say that in the books.
Cat will be chuffed too. :lol:
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

Manny Leung
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 83 times

Post by Manny Leung »

rps20231218_224135.jpg
rps20231218_224215.jpg
Just finished printing the MRS and rifle insert. All turned out beautifully.👍👍