Square Head bolt length

Forum for discussion relating to Tiger 1, Mid, Early, Late Production and Sturmtiger
Dave Goodwin
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 121 times

Square Head bolt length

Post by Dave Goodwin »

I'm working on my engine deck at the moment and have noticed that the square headed bolts used are very long. I don't see that they serve any other purpose in the main Build Guide. Not yet having access to the Option Pack manuals, etc., is there any reason I can't cut these back with a Dremel? I really dislike how far down they hang beneath the engine deck plate. Anyone else done that?

Thanks!

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 746 times
Been liked: 1730 times

Re: Square Head bolt length

Post by Vince Cutajar »

I left mine as is.

viewtopic.php?p=66533#p66533
See last photo in that post.

Vince

John Fitzsimons
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 549 times

Post by John Fitzsimons »

I cut the bolt ends. No need for them.

Tim Carr
Has liked: 1907 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Tim Carr »

Might be too late with my thoughts, but here they are any way.

DON'T cut the bolt to a shorter length UNTILL you are completely done with everything. Think, if you cut too length and then you want to take something apart HOW are you going to restart that nut? Myself, I don't believe that I have a meter die that small. English standard maybe.
BUT rethreading a small thread that size is NOT something I want to do. Or even think about doing.
I might want till all done just before final painting then I'll follow John Fitzsimons and cut the bolts. But I'll wait till the end to do it.

Just my thoughts, worth every penny paid for them.

Enjoy the build.

Later Tim
Tampa Bay, Fla area USA.

Tim Carr

Post by Tim Carr »

LOL
Post after statement. I'm working on that back grill area at this time. 6 of my Square bolts are too SHORT to put a nut on. Why?
My Tiger 1 #131 was made by the last owners, 2015, and I believe that someone had a bad day and missed counterboring the holes in the back, which I believe I'll be doing. After I find a few more pics of the middle back grill area. My DVD of the Saumur Tiger 1 has great pics showing the countersunk bolt holes but I believe that the Saumur Tiger is a late version. Have not found good pics of the Bovington Tiger #131 rear grill area yet. Still looking.

Back to my build of Tiger 1 #131. Working on turret ring next.

Later Tim
Tampa Bay, Fla area USA.

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1296 times
Been liked: 1511 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

Tiger 131 uses cap heads :?

2010-06-27_07-21-05.jpg

Adrian
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Donald Suttie
Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 187 times

Post by Donald Suttie »

A Great photo,as i was working on the slots on the Tiger Hatches today,at least i cut the slots in the correct place

Thanks for posting

Donald

Tim Carr

Post by Tim Carr »

Great pic showing cap heads. Replacement bolts or original equipment? The Saumur Tiger 1 shows Square bolts, that said, it is (I believe) a late Tiger 1, where the Bovington Tiger1 is an Early Tiger 1.

Adrian
Would you please (if you have it) post a pic of the back panel that the panel above the air cleaner is hinged to. Please

Thanks to everyone that shares.

Enjoy the build

Later Tim
Tampa Bay, Fla area USA.

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1296 times
Been liked: 1511 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

Sadly, when I took these pictures from the gantry, they had removed that panel so that the public could see into the engine bay.

2010-06-27_07-20-51.jpg

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module