Leopard 2A4 to Gepard 1A2

Forum for discussion relating to the Leopard 2a4
JesseGuthritsch
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Leopard 2A4 to Gepard 1A2

Post by JesseGuthritsch »

I am still going to build my RC 1/6th Gepard and the turret sounds like the most fun place to start.
But maybe ill make the gepards turrent and build the Leopard 2 chassis as it was designed and then make a frankenseins monster so I can play with it while I design up the Gepard chassis from scratch, that way I get 2 RC tanks out of it and something to play with in the mean time.

I also got a buddy that will help me (becasue programming is not my best skill) to get a semi a acuatate fire contorl systems and thinks we cant do it using lidar instead of an actual radar frequencies.

JesseGuthritsch

Peter Quambusch wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:07 pm
Hi Jesse,

I´m not saying it´s impossible, but A LOT OF WORK....
E. g. the hull of Leo 2 is 3,7 meters to 3,37 meters Leo 1. So you have to cut out a section of everything, front, rear, torsion bars....
The tracks are totally different, so you need new tracks.
Engine deck layout is different, drivers hatch, hull sides, exhausts, storage boxes, etc, etc.
I´m not sure, but I think the wheels are smaller too...

See what I mean?

Might be easyer to go with the hull and put a KF 51 turret on top?! :D

is the turret hole the same or at least a very similar size?

Mark Heaps
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 282 times

Post by Mark Heaps »

JesseGuthritsch wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:19 pm
I am still going to build my RC 1/6th Gepard and the turret sounds like the most fun place to start.
But maybe ill make the gepards turrent and build the Leopard 2 chassis as it was designed and then make a frankenseins monster so I can play with it while I design up the Gepard chassis from scratch, that way I get 2 RC tanks out of it and something to play with in the mean time.
Possibly not a frankenstein´s monster but a what-if ? Ukraine have received both the Gepard and the Leopard 2A4. I do not know if the turret rings are identical sizes but manufacturing an adapter if required would not be impossible.
Maybe build the Leopard turret ( it comes with the kit so why not ) and use quick-disconnects on the electrics between turret & hull so you can swap between the turrets as the situation determines or how the wish takes you ? The general public would not know the chassis is wrong and be more concentrated on watching those BBs being fired out.

JesseGuthritsch

Mark Heaps wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:35 pm
JesseGuthritsch wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:19 pm
Possibly not a frankenstein´s monster but a what-if ? Ukraine have received both the Gepard and the Leopard 2A4. I do not know if the turret rings are identical sizes but manufacturing an adapter if required would not be impossible.
Maybe build the Leopard turret ( it comes with the kit so why not ) and use quick-disconnects on the electrics between turret & hull so you can swap between the turrets as the situation determines or how the wish takes you ? The general public would not know the chassis is wrong and be more concentrated on watching those BBs being fired out.

I love this idea! I'll try to find out if the turrent ring size is the same for both tanks but even of its close, I can make an adapter like your said. I was planning on building the leopard 2 turret anyways and putting it on my shops wall but the switchable idea is better.

And the clever Ukrainians might just do something like this if it is possible. My encouragement for this project comes from my weird love of AA cannons and some good people I know that live in Kiev that adore the Gepard.

JesseGuthritsch

The human model is 5'6" (1.70m).
Attachments
IMG_20231125_121033_639.jpg