markings

Forum for discussion relating to the M26 Pershing
Steve McEvoy
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 26 times

markings

Post by Steve McEvoy »

Hi All. Does anyone know where I can get details of the tank markings please. I can find some grainy images from ww2 but none that show the markings clearly. Build is complete is but now I want to do the markings before weathering.
Thanks in advance.
Steve.

Aaron Taylor
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times

Re: markings

Post by Aaron Taylor »

Online the ww2 photos are hard to see and the tanks don't seem to be marked up much. look through rays build thread in the m26 forum he has some good insights. Other than that I'm considering researching books on it myself om in the same boat. Armortek may be a real good source since they have to have something to get these models so detailed....I haven't asked yet I'm still building.

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 1700 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

If at the end of the day you don't find suitable photo can I suggest getting hold of Pershing decals for smaller scale plastic models and that can give you an idea of the markings you want.

Something like this for 1945 Pershings
https://braillestrike.com/en/boutique/m ... nw-europe/

Depicts 3 Pershings in 1945 Europe.

Vince

Steve McEvoy

Post by Steve McEvoy »

Thanks for the replies guys, will have a look at Rays build on the forum, have looked at getting decals and that looks a good possibility to then scale up to 1/6.
Cheers
Steve

Ray Massa
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by Ray Massa »

Steve,

I got reference material from David Doyle's M26 Pershing book, along with many pictures on the web. I used a combination of many pics to determine what I ultimately wanted to use. For the large and small stars and the "USA 3011991" markings I used stencils from Noostra in Great BritaIn. For the turret star, I made my own stencil out of 3 mil acetate, since i felt the Noostra stars were either too big or too small for that position.

For the small text with 'Cubic feet, etc" on the side panels, and the B21 on the turret as well as the markings on the wooden boxes regarding K rations, and the front markings on the glacis (except the star), I designed those on a graphics program on my computer and I had a local friend who has a vinyl cutting business make those stencils for me.

Hope that helps.

-Ray

Steve McEvoy

Post by Steve McEvoy »

Thanks Ray, Yes I have the same reference book but obviously your eyesight is much better than mine as I struggle to read the markings. Is there any pics anywhere of your completed build? I can't see any on your build thread. Great detailing by the way.

Steve McEvoy

Post by Steve McEvoy »

Found the pics now Ray once the wife told me I was using the forum wrong!!!! Looks great.

Ray Massa
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by Ray Massa »

Steve McEvoy wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:16 pm
Thanks Ray, Yes I have the same reference book but obviously your eyesight is much better than mine as I struggle to read the markings. Is there any pics anywhere of your completed build? I can't see any on your build thread. Great detailing by the way.
Steve, I also looked at the 1/6 scale Pershing build on East Coast Armory for some of the details. The problem with a lot of the reference books is the pictures are usually in black and white and fuzzy being 1940's film.