Hello AT owners. New owner of KT-2019-16

Forum for discussion relating to the King Tiger
Mark Allen
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 70 times

Re: Hello AT owners. New owner of KT-2019-16

Post by Mark Allen »

I spent most of the weekend dealing with the turret. The original owner had partially assembled it. I set it on the hull and the right front corner was resting solidly on the front deck. If rotated it would have gouged the deck pretty good what will all that weight.

So looking it over I saw that the right turret side was hanging down below the bottom of the forward turret floor. Also, something just didnt look right.
Neither turret side follows the floor accurately. On the left side their is a gap between the side and the floor when the front and back is secured to the end plates. On the right side the floor interferes with the side being able to pull up tight to the end plates.

After full disassembly I bolted the two sides together, outside surface to outside surface. I did this at the front using the four holes at the front of the side, and the two slotted holes part way back. the top and front edges all lined up nicely, but the bottom of the right side was 8MM lower than the left side.

I scribed a line in the right side where it needed to come off. The I unbolted the two halfs and rebolted them using the holes in the back. Same problem but only about 4MM to low this time. Again scribd a line in the right side.

I measured the angle of the cut and set the saber saw to that angle. I bought some pricey Swiss made blades and started in on the side. The thickness of that part made the work incredibly slow going (hours). Then some slow work with the green flapper wheel and files got it to were things were nice and straight.

Then back to why one side doesn't touch the base and the other side interferes with the base. After a bunch of measuring I concluded that the base (floor) is symmetrical. While hard to tell I finally figured a way to measure the bends in the sides. Conclusion, the left side is bent too much and the right side is bent too little and not in the right place.

I had to resort to blocks and jumping on the side is an effort to lessen the bend in one and tighten in the other. But they are thick and short so it took a lot to do very little. Things got closer. Close enough that by selectively tightening the mounting hardware around the bottom of the sides I could get a good fit at the front and the back plates. It was confirmed (at least to me) that it was good enough because the roof sections all bolted together dropped right into place. Yay.

There were other problems with this but more easily managed. The notches in the lower area of the sides is in two different places, not symmetrical. The floor doesn't match this discrepancy so there is fiddly, sawing and filing to get it together.

In my kit the major problem seem to be the right side of the turret. Maybe it is just mine, but look there first if you run into difficulties.

I took pictures, and will update the turrest sections once I get the pics sized and hosted.
Last edited by Mark Allen on Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1:6 King Tiger. 1:1 White M3A1 Scout car, Ford GPW, Dodge WC-57 Command Car, Ford GTB, CJV-35/U, Willys MB, Willys M38.

Mark Allen

Post by Mark Allen »

All the modules arrived today. Shipped from Armortek Monday and delivered to my house in California Wednesday noon. Im impressed.
1:6 King Tiger. 1:1 White M3A1 Scout car, Ford GPW, Dodge WC-57 Command Car, Ford GTB, CJV-35/U, Willys MB, Willys M38.

Mark Allen

Post by Mark Allen »

Time to give this thread some love...

New Place Holders:

Motion Module

All modules arrived safe and sound. Simultaneously I received an email from AT. It advised to not connect or use the Power distribution module and that a replacement would soon be on its way. I thought this was quite good of them. Very nice quality stuff and more included than I would have thought. Two thumbs up!

While Motion Module includes turret traverse and gun elevation, I will give each of those individual posts.

Mark Allen

Post by Mark Allen »

Recoil Module

Stay tuned.

Mark Allen

Post by Mark Allen »

Sound Module

First thing is hunting for different speakers. There is nothing wrong with those supplied, However a pair of 3 X 9" will fit my layout better.

Mark Allen

Post by Mark Allen »

Smoke Module

The first step is file, smooth, debur and clean all the goodies before painting. They go together beautifully.

Modified installation pictures soon.
Last edited by Mark Allen on Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Allen

Post by Mark Allen »

Turret traverse

Some re-imagining here. The drive would not mount up as delivered. So relocated the drive unit away from the hull side. Worked on the motor drive, and figured the voltage to give the rotation the scale speed of the full size. A lot of fussing with the turret bearing and the mounting of it in the deck plates. Now, just as smooth as glass. Also teflon dry lubricant throughout.

Last edited by Mark Allen on Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mark Allen

Post by Mark Allen »

Gun Elevation

Mark Allen

Post by Mark Allen »

FPV PROJECT

I decided I want FPV in my KT, just for the fun of it if nothing else. I decided on three cameras. One in the drivers periscope, one hidden in the commander (who will have animation allowing me to look all around) and one hidden in the jack block on the rear. The cameras I sourced are tiny at 5MM square. There is a three way video switcher driven by a three position switch on the transmitter. Then a selectable power 5.8Ghz transmitter. A Black Pearl 7" monitor mounted to the transmitter rounds out the video suite. Of course putting one in the drivers periscope made it mandatory that the periscope pan right and left. That of course requires some modifications to the hull...

A nice thing about the FrSky with openTX system is that I can set the slew rates for the periscope to reasonable speeds.

Mark Allen

Post by Mark Allen »

Interior and convoy lights

Starting on cadding up some light fixtures for the interior. Only have a single grainy black and white photo to go on, but should come out close enough. And seriously with the tank closed you wont see them, but they will work. Convoy light will work too. Using the linear LEDS one finds in the fake "Edison" bulbs, so popular today. Some clear acrylic tubing and the parts that I will 3D print.

Stay tuned.

Mark Allen

Post by Mark Allen »

Working on the rear hull portion today.

Here is a comparison of the cast aluminum exhaust armor and a cast plastic one that was in my kit.

The plastic one has better detail in my view so I decided to prep them all up.

Then fit check with inertia crank.

I am searching for some scale hardware for attaching the exhaust armor to the hull. Judging form period pictures, the supplied hardware is undersized.