Upgrading early production suspension blocks

Forum for discussion relating to Tiger 1, Mid, Early, Late Production and Sturmtiger
Rich Stinchcomb
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time

Upgrading early production suspension blocks

Post by Rich Stinchcomb »

My 2003 production release Tiger I has the individual suspension axle blocks. I can never get them aligned correctly to prevent the road wheels from contacting other wheels at various points. Seems like the new one-piece design is the way to go. Has anyone done this upgrade?

Rich
"All you saw in your imagination was the muzzle of an 88 behind each leaf." - British Tank Commander Andrew Wilson

Carlos Vollenweider
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Upgrading early production suspension blocks

Post by Carlos Vollenweider »

Hi Rich,
I upgraded the suspension on my 2005 Early Production. I also replaced all of the steel plate with aluminum. I mention the plate replacement because of the structural attachment between the hull plate and the swing arm bearing bars. I've been thinking about a simpler upgrade to minimize disruption for a completed model.
Attachments
DSC03170.JPG
DSC03169.JPG
Last edited by Carlos Vollenweider on Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carlos Vollenweider
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Carlos Vollenweider »

Hi Rich,

Your first step would be to remove the existing running gear, suspension blocks and hull bottom plate. In my notes I show 2 swing arm bearing bars at 29.375in L x 1.25in W x 1.0in H. All of the replacement aluminum is 6061-T6. I clamped them to the hull sides and used machinist squares clamped forward and aft to hold pieces of Al to shim my offset of the bar from the hull plate. The next step is to transfer punch through the hull side for the bar mounting holes. I used M6x1.0 (no length in my notes) S/S socket head cap screws. I drilled and counterbored for at least one additional mounting hole on each hull side. I'll post more in the days ahead. I also need to get my hull up on the bench to verify anything missing from my notes.

Best Regards,

Carlos
Attachments
DSC03372.JPG
DSC03181.JPG

Rich Stinchcomb
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Rich Stinchcomb »

Carlos,

Thanks for posting your well detailed conversion. Really helps me understand what's involved.

Rich
"All you saw in your imagination was the muzzle of an 88 behind each leaf." - British Tank Commander Andrew Wilson