M/G Servo will not activate

Forum for discussion relating to the M26 Pershing
Dan Fuhrman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

M/G Servo will not activate

Post by Dan Fuhrman »

Bench testing the Pershing has been a bit frustrating for me, new to R/C and 1/6 scale models, so I am in need of a bit of help.

Spektrum DX8e with AR8020T

M/G in RC7 (brown/red/yellow) top to bottom.

Adjusted servo (#7 I think!) from 100 to +/- 50 all the way to 14 (minimum). Channel 7 is a 3 position switch. No luck or movement.

I have not connected any of the lighting (LEDs) based on previous suggestions from the Forum about blowing a light.

Motor drives and sound are fine, I have chosen a single stick drive for now and will get some road time under my belt before venturing with two. Turret rotation and elevation are working fine as well.

Any suggestions from the group would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Fellas!

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Re: M/G Servo will not activate

Post by Adrian Harris »

I think yellow should probably go in the top - in line with the whites from the Armortek wiring.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Dan Fuhrman

Post by Dan Fuhrman »

Adrian,

Thank you for the input, I reversed the wiring on the M/G, no luck. Ugh!

For those who are using the DX8e or have used it, do the initial settings need to be adjusted for R/C tank operations? Some of the option packs use different r/c channels based on other transmitters, such as the Frsky. Perhaps another bind with different parameters would be appropriate.

Dan

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

If you scroll the thumbwheel to the right, you should get a monitor screen, which will show you in real time what is happening to the receiver channels. The channel names, as they appear on the receiver, are listed across the bottom. If you operate each of the switches, it will show you which switch activates which channel.

I recently helped set up a Pershing and found the servo was getting very hot as the mechanism for the MG didn't allow the servo to reach its end stops. So once you have it working on a channel, I would recommend you do the following, to limit the amount of travel of the servo and prevent it from being damaged.

Make sure the switch you have selected is in the central position and then plug the servo into the receiver without the arm attached. This will centre the servo mechanism so that the arm will be in the middle of the arc of movement when the switch is in the central position. Then attach the arm to the servo and the servo to the MG mechanism

Click the thumbwheel down to get the menu, then scroll down to Servo Setup and click the thumbwheel down to go into the Servo Setup screen.

Scroll the thumbwheel to select the channel to which the servo is attached.

With the toggle switch up, one of the values will be highlighted.

Click the thumbwheel down to select this value, then scroll the thumbwheel so the value changes from 100 to 20.

Click the thumbwheel down to fix that value, then move the switch to the down position, and the other value should be highlighted.

Click the thumbwheel down to select this value, then scroll the thumbwheel so the value also changes from 100 to 20.

This will have limited the movement of the servo from 100% in each direction to 20%.

Test this with the servo and see how it looks. If the servo still moves too far, reduce the values further. If the servo has room to move further, increase the values.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Dan Fuhrman

Post by Dan Fuhrman »

Adrian,

Super information! My servo was at the furthest extreme and would not move. Centering the switch with the power disconnected then connected brought the servo to zero (center). I very much appreciate your input. I was beginning to think that I had a bad servo.

Cheers! Dan