Pershing 26 Road Wheel Tires - Loctite or Silicone?

Forum for discussion relating to the M26 Pershing
John Studebaker
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 7 times

Pershing 26 Road Wheel Tires - Loctite or Silicone?

Post by John Studebaker »

The Armortek manual recommends Loctite 480 and shows a red bottle dispenser. Amazon sells Loctite 480 as a cyanoacrylate - super glue. It doesn't appear to be the same thing as shown by Armortek. I have used silicone on other models. Does anyone have recommendations on how to securely affix the rubber tires to the wheels?

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 956 times
Been liked: 2034 times

Re: Pershing 26 Road Wheel Tires - Loctite or Silicone?

Post by Brian Ostlind »

The 480 blue bottle is good but a little messy and hard to work with. It’s a good solid bond.

David Skeldon
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by David Skeldon »

I use black Tiger seal on my tanks and it seems to bond them ok

David

John Studebaker

Brian - the blue bottle you refer to, is it super glue or more like thread locker?

Amazon has Loctite 48040 Black 480 Prism Instant Adhesive, Toughened, 0.7 oz., 20 g. Is this what you meant?

Thanks for your help.

Ray Massa
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by Ray Massa »

John Studebaker wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:31 pm
Brian - the blue bottle you refer to, is it super glue or more like thread locker?

Amazon has Loctite 48040 Black 480 Prism Instant Adhesive, Toughened, 0.7 oz., 20 g. Is this what you meant?

Thanks for your help.
John,

Loctite 480 is what I used to glue the tires. Like it was mentioned, messy but good. It is promoted as below from a data sheet:

Primary ApplicationsRubberMaterials BondedMetal; Plastic; Rubber
Features Enhanced Shock Resistance; High Shear Strength; High Tensile Strength; Increased Flexibility and Peel Strength; Rubber Reinforced

It is very fast setting. It grabs in only a few seconds so you have to work fast. It does not dry fast unless it is in contact with the rubber. Practice a dry run on the technique you want to use.
I laid a bead of it around both the outer edges of the steel wheel . The thin ridge and the wider one. I placed the wheel on a flat surface, and pushed the rubber onto the wheel. Some glue will ooze out the backside, so pick up the wheel and wipe the backside with a rag and set aside.
Make sure the tire is flush with the wheel on the front side that will show. No repeat 47 more times for all the wheels.

-Ray
480.jpg

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 956 times
Been liked: 2034 times

Post by Brian Ostlind »

That is the stuff. If you want to avoid the mess tape off your surfaces with masking take. Also keep a rag with acetone or alcohol handy. And definitely wear rubber gloves.

John Studebaker

Brian and Ray,

The recommended Loctite worked perfectly. As noted, a bit messy, but acetone cleaned up all residue. Thanks agann for your help.

John