Tracks rubbing on shock mounting bolts

Forum for discussion relating to the M26 Pershing
Ray Massa
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 110 times

Tracks rubbing on shock mounting bolts

Post by Ray Massa »

After assembling all the tracks, I did a test fit of the tracks on both sides of the tank. Mine come seriously close to the two front top shock tower mounting screws on. Actually, if the track droops just a little it will hit them. It is so close, it might even rub the shock mounting flange itself even if the mounting screws were not installed. Anyone else have this issue?
IMG_8659.jpg

Tom Miller
Been liked: 315 times

Re: Tracks rubbing on shock mounting bolts

Post by Tom Miller »

I don't know if it would help but the tracks are supposed to be mounted with the cotter pins facing out not inward.
Tom

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3034 times

Post by Armortek »

In addition to what Tom says, Pershing tracks should be taut and not run slack - similar to Shermans.
Armortek

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 701 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Can you replace the top two nuts with M3 Flat head screw? The nuts would be on inside, and you would have to countersink the top two holes for the screw. I don't have a Pershing, but just an idea.
Bob

Ray Massa
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by Ray Massa »

I was not sure which way the split pins should face, but I tried the tracks both ways, and it is the edge of the tracks that are rubbing. If the track is very tight, then it just misses it, but not knowing how tight the track should be, I thought there might be a problem. There are no instructions in the manual as to track tightness.

My first solution if it persists would be to countersink the two holes and use a flat head screw with the nut on the inside of the hull. Being new to all this (my first tank build), and not having a motor installed, I do not know how the tracks will run over time with them being that close. I assume Armortek's prototype runs fine the way it is, or maybe slight rubbing will not be an issue.

Thanks to all for the responses.