Tap Size for Spindle

Forum for discussion relating to the M26 Pershing
Ray Massa
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 110 times

Tap Size for Spindle

Post by Ray Massa »

I am having difficulty getting the spindles (EVO202) into suspension arms EVO206A. I need to clean out the threads in the arms it would seem. Anyone know the size?
I had no problem with all the other arms, but the EVO206A are all giving me trouble.

Thanks.

-Ray

Nick Chiocchio
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: Tap Size for Spindle

Post by Nick Chiocchio »

I had trouble too, I wrapped a paper towel folded over several times around the large diameter on EV0202. Then put threading oil in the threads on EV0206A. Then using pliers I threaded the part in (pliers grabbing the towel wrapped around the large diameter so as not to scratch the part). I went in a few turns then unthreaded, go in a little further, then out again until it went all the way in. I had to do this to most of them. I unthreaded, cleaned all the oil out, placed Loctite and it easily threaded in.

Maybe the threading tool was wearing out?
Nick C.

Ray Massa

Post by Ray Massa »

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the response. I just now finally get them threaded. I did something similar to what you did using oil. Slowly worked it back and forth. I could feel the grit. It took quite a while on each one. You might be right on the threading tool.

One note on Loctite. I have been wondering when users will ever use the High Strength Loctite. So far I am only using BLUE medium strength, but did a test with two bolts and nuts (fairly large ones) with both types of Loctite 270 and 220. The 220 I was able to remove the nut, still with a bit of force and a large amount of torque with the wrench. With the Loctite 270 I could not get the nut off no matter how hard I tried and I was using a very large wrench. I used a heat gun on the nut and it finally loosened but was still very hard to remove it. I don't think I will ever use the High strength stuff unless I am positive something will probably never have to be removed.

I made one rookie error when assembling the suspension arms. I made one too many of the LH ones (3 of one, 2 of another). Well I made 3 of both so I had to disassemble one of them. All of the small threads which had Loctite on them came off fairly easily, but getting that large thread (the one we both could not get threaded initially) was very, very hard to get off. Had to use heat on that on.

I am just making this point for any others who run into a disassembly issue, large threads with a lot of surface areas are not so easy to remove even with medium strength.

lesson learned for me.

-Ray

Ray Massa

Post by Ray Massa »

One other issue I ran into on a EVO206A, the grub screws holes don't line up precisely enough to get both of them in. Either one goes in fine, but when when one is in place, the other hole is off center by about 1/64th inch. Looks like I will have to slightly elongate the hole to make it work.

-Ray

Nick Chiocchio
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Nick Chiocchio »

I'm using the green stuff Loctite 638 I think. It's what the instructions listed. I ended up buying a grey market brand (because I wasn't paying attention when I ordered it) and I just received the actual Loctite product also. Now you have me interested so I'm doing a test myself.

The 638 says that it cures when in contact with metal and no oxygen. But I'm curious as to tis strength.

The volute springs on the bump stops are really just a press fit (they say to Loctite), will probably fall out if not glued in with a real good adhesive.
Nick C.

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 954 times
Been liked: 2024 times

Post by Brian Ostlind »

The metric tap set a harbor freight should cover everything you need. I made a video regarding the suspension arms it’s on my YouTube.

Ray Massa

Post by Ray Massa »

Nick,

You are correct about the instructions at the beginning saying for metal on metal use 638. I was using 220 based on their knowledge base article on Loctite, which also says use 638 for bearings. I am doing a test on the 638 just a comparison to what I saw on the 220 vs 270.

-Ray

Ray Massa

Post by Ray Massa »

Brian Ostlind wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:18 pm
The metric tap set a harbor freight should cover everything you need. I made a video regarding the suspension arms it’s on my YouTube.
Thanks Brian. I managed to get it fixed, but will still look into getting a set for future use. I have watched all your videos. Very informative for a newcomer like me.

-Ray