M26 Assembly Question

Forum for discussion relating to the M26 Pershing
Nick Chiocchio
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 30 times

M26 Assembly Question

Post by Nick Chiocchio »

So I started assembly and on the first page I have a question. I didn't want to assume and make a mistake. It's about the tow hook. The two pins, 3X12 and 4x16 are a very tight fit on part EVO643. I'm assuming to place EVO643 in place and hammer the pins through. The friction fit of the pin will hold the part in place. As opposed to drilling the holes in EVO643 a little larger and securing it with loctite?
Attachments
IMG_6078.JPG
IMG_6078.JPG (89.37 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
Nick C.

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 954 times
Been liked: 2024 times

Re: M26 Assembly Question

Post by Brian Ostlind »

Whatever you feel comfortable with. Sometimes hammering can get sketchy.

Didier Molard
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by Didier Molard »

hello
you can also use a small modelling vice (vise) to "press fit " the pin in position.
is is more "gentle" than hammering for surrounding part

Looking at the way it is suppose to work, one of the pin is an articulation pin, while the other a locking pin, meaning one of them is removed when you insert the loop of the trailer, then put back in place for locking the mecanism
regards
didier

Nick Chiocchio
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Nick Chiocchio »

Thanks. After thinking about it I decided to use a small file and slowly enlarge the hole until the pin squeezed through. Yes one pin will need to be removed to operate the tow hook. I'm thinking secure the small pin and make the larger pin removable to operate the tow hook. I thinking of a way to attach a small chain between to the pin and the chassis so if it ever falls out I won't lose it.
Nick C.

Didier Molard
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by Didier Molard »

Hello.
looking at how it is made i'de rather say that the pivot is the 4mm diam pin, and the lock the small one (and also as it is written not to loctite the small pin if you want to keep a functionning hook !)
but cant find any evidence / picture
it is not the common C hook you can find on many us vehicles
may be some people with better knowledge will give the answer..
i remember having seen such hook, but mounted upside down (so you can lay the loop of the trailer rest on the rigid arm)