Role play scale tank driving ranges in the UK

Forum for discussion and arrangements of meetings
Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 843 times

Re: Role play scale tank driving ranges in the UK

Post by Jerry Carducci »

You’d think as large as this country is we would have something like this somewhere but no, sadly we don’t. At least not one well known and accessible to us ‘regular’ folks.

(Sniff 😞)

Jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Post by Stephen White »

Really interesting, thought provoking ideas.

There's a huge gap between tooling around with our models on flat surfaces and an all-singing two sided battle re-enactment.

The latter is unachievable. I was fortunate to command the first British Army Opfor (Opposition Force) in Canada and we ran simulated combat training for exercising battle groups with direct fire laser simulation of weapons from small arms to tanks. Latterly, we also had a simulation of indirect fire, artillery etc. Nevertheless, you could never really make it a truly realistic all arms battle, although it was excellent, demanding training. To do it in one sixth is a very tall order indeed.

The problem with a lot of online games is the tendency to see tank v tank as realistic whereas real operations involve the action of surface, air, electronic etc. In other words, simulating all-arms battle is a huge challenge. Yes, you could have lots of bangs and make it look good but it would never simulate real combat, so why bother?

On the other hand, at an individual vehicle level, there is a lot you can do. Young tank commanders have to spend months learning how to move tactically across country, how to enter and leave a fire position, how to operate in built up areas, how to cross obstacles without getting shot, there is a host of tactical skills we could simulate and practice if you had the right terrain.

And it's horses for courses, by which I mean that tactics vary between nations and between historical periods and in different terrains. The way you operate in open country eg deserts, is very different to operating tactically in rolling hills or close wooded country.

At TankFest, we've tried (and largely failed) to create some terrain to make it possible to show tactical movement. A dedicated terrain would be a great asset to have and would really add a lot to our enjoyment.

I've got the low level armoured tactics manual for the British Army somewhere and would happily dig it out and post a few relevant bits if anyone were interested.

Good luck Tony, it's a great project to pursue.

Charles A Stewart
Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 781 times

Post by Charles A Stewart »

Hi folks.

I acknowledge that not everybody has access to an area of ground with which to allow their pride and joy to run free. We started developing this area during lockdown(2020) at the end our garden, it isn't massive but allows two, maybe three vehicles to run. The lumps and bumps are formed over rubble(the tip was closed :roll:) from another DIY project.

The project has become a bit of a learning curve, both to establish wild flowers(triffids), keeping the running area clear and keep the grass mown. an idea of this can be seen here:-

I have attached a couple of photos to illustrate where we are presently(minus triffids).
run 1.jpg
run 2.jpg
run 3.jpg
Work has stopped due to the concrete nature of the ground we are all experiencing in the UK.

Once summer is back with us we will be happy to entertain(limited numbers though), like minded enthusiasts.

And yes Stephen, I for one would be very interested in your observations on Low Level Armour whatsits, please

Take care

Charles
Last edited by Charles A Stewart on Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chieftain No.34, functional. PKW IV (2002), operational. Panther G No.18 (2022), started, well some of it is. Series 1 4x4 No.28 and a Bailey Bridge.

Tim Page
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 423 times

Post by Tim Page »

That looks terrific Charles.
Id love to see a big cat in the snow photo if thats possible.

Cheers
Tim
2008 Armortek Panther ausf.G (early) #0035
2012 Armortek Tiger 1e (Late) #001
2009 Armortek BefehlsPanzer 111 ausf.J #0011 (SOLD)
2010 Armortek A34 Comet #0031 (SOLD)

Peter Quambusch
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 814 times

Post by Peter Quambusch »

Hi Tim,

Different playground, but cats in the snow (of last winter)...
20170107_125923.jpg
IMG-20210208-WA0008.jpeg
20210208_125713.jpg
20210208_131215.jpg
20210208_131255.jpg
20210208_131349.jpg
I have no clue, why they turn upside down...when you klick on them, they are correctly displayed....
Lord, give me strength to change the things I am able to change.... and patience to endure the things I can not change :-) A bunch of Tiger and Panther variants, a few 88`s and smaler ones like Hetzer, Stug III, etc. and soon a Leo II

Marco Peter
Has liked: 1141 times
Been liked: 585 times

Post by Marco Peter »

You rarely see snow in Australia! :mrgreen:
'Konan', my Tiger 1 Mid
'Gunther', my Panther G

Tim Page
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 423 times

Post by Tim Page »

Very nice Peter.
Many thanks for posting the pix
Cheers
Tim
2008 Armortek Panther ausf.G (early) #0035
2012 Armortek Tiger 1e (Late) #001
2009 Armortek BefehlsPanzer 111 ausf.J #0011 (SOLD)
2010 Armortek A34 Comet #0031 (SOLD)

Charles A Stewart
Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 781 times

Post by Charles A Stewart »

Hi Peter
Lovely photos in the snow.

I have found that a minor edit of the photo helps to keep them upright. For example a little "cropping" or "resizing". I had this issue when I first started on the forum, hope it helps.

Cheers
Charles

PS I am sure there is a link regarding this issue somewhere to.
Chieftain No.34, functional. PKW IV (2002), operational. Panther G No.18 (2022), started, well some of it is. Series 1 4x4 No.28 and a Bailey Bridge.

Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 843 times

Post by Jerry Carducci »

Peter Quambusch wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:53 pm
Hi Tim,

Different playground, but cats in the snow (of last winter)...20170107_125923.jpgIMG-20210208-WA0008.jpeg20210208_125713.jpg20210208_131215.jpg20210208_131255.jpg20210208_131349.jpg
I have no clue, why they turn upside down...when you klick on them, they are correctly displayed....
Peter never have run any of my models in the snow what are some of the issues or preparations you need to make to operate in the snow? Thank the gods it doesn't snow here in my part of California normally although temps below 0 aren't unknown in winter; one year it snowed sufficiently on the upper elevations of a local mountain that some folks were trying to ski and snowboard...

Jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

Peter Quambusch
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 814 times

Post by Peter Quambusch »

Jerry Carducci wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:27 am
Peter Quambusch wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:53 pm
Hi Tim,

Different playground, but cats in the snow (of last winter)...20170107_125923.jpgIMG-20210208-WA0008.jpeg20210208_125713.jpg20210208_131215.jpg20210208_131255.jpg20210208_131349.jpg
Peter never have run any of my models in the snow what are some of the issues or preparations you need to make to operate in the snow? Thank the gods it doesn't snow here in my part of California normally although temps below 0 aren't unknown in winter; one year it snowed sufficiently on the upper elevations of a local mountain that some folks were trying to ski and snowboard...

Jerry
Hi Jerry,

There are no special preparations necessary to run them in the snow. Getting them back inside is more of an issue, as the snow geting stuck in the drive gear, tracks etc. starts to melt inside.... and then you have the tanks standing in a little lake... Thus you should have a room with a "waterproof" floor.
However, if the snow is too deep, the tanks belly up and have to be recovered, like in real life. :-)

Cheers
Peter
Lord, give me strength to change the things I am able to change.... and patience to endure the things I can not change :-) A bunch of Tiger and Panther variants, a few 88`s and smaler ones like Hetzer, Stug III, etc. and soon a Leo II

Bryan Brown
Has liked: 356 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Bryan Brown »

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was advisable to leave the tank out for a while to become the same temperature as the outside this stopped the tracks being swamped/covered in snow as it was ran.

Graham Ord
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Graham Ord »

see topic viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2909
Its in the Panzer IV section.
Graham Ord
Graham

Gary Rafferty
Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 442 times

Post by Gary Rafferty »

Hi Tony,

Count me in absolutely cracking idea, I'm in Essex so not to far for me to travel so an added bonus!

Cheers
Gary

Robert Tanzer
Has liked: 701 times
Been liked: 660 times

Post by Robert Tanzer »

As you know Peter, you have my favorit Cats. :D

Robert T

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 701 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Awesome playground Liam - I love that bridge! Amazing!
Best regards,
Bob