Motion Packs - ideal time to install?

Forum for discussion relating to the Panther
Chris Singer
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 37 times

Motion Packs - ideal time to install?

Post by Chris Singer »

Hi All,

Am progressing fine with my new Panther G (finally built ALL the wheels :wink: ),

Wondering now if I go too far with building up the hull will it be tough to install the Motion Packs once they are ready and delivered??

Any help from more experienced creators much appreciated!

Dale jordan
Been liked: 350 times

Re: Motion Packs - ideal time to install?

Post by Dale jordan »

Hi Chris . You can build the complete Kit and add packs later . Plenty of room with turret and decks off Dale

Chris Hall
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 631 times

Re: Motion Packs - ideal time to install?

Post by Chris Hall »

As long as you can get easy access to the hull, installing the various auxiliary packs is not usually a problem at any time (indeed, some of us have come up with systems for easy removal for subsequent maintenance). Waiting until the end, of course, makes it easier to paint the model !

However, the same isn’t always true with regard to installing the motors. Issues such as drive chains and motor mounts need to be thought through, and may be better fitted as part of the main hull assembly.

It depends on the model, of course ! I haven’t seen the new Panther (yet), but installing the motors early is certainly, in my experience, essential for the WW1 Mark IV, and I’m still thinking it through for the M3 Lee / Grant.

Hope this helps,

Chris

PS. You also need to think about the type of batteries you’re going to use, where they’re going to go, how to fix them down so that they don’t move around while running, and how you’re going to easily recharge them.
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)