Turret ring plate countersunk on wrong side

Forum for discussion relating to the Sherman.
GlenStenhouse
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 26 times

Turret ring plate countersunk on wrong side

Post by GlenStenhouse »

Hello,

DId anyone else get a turret plate (the aluminium plate that the elevation mechanism mounts to) with the countersinking done on the opposite side to the drawing? If I countersink from the shown side the plate is too thin and the hole will end up too big.

I've mounted it back to front so now the elevation motor sits under the main cupola. A little less space to put a figure in but just enough.

Problem is that I have to also mount the barrel upside down to allow for the recoil servo now being on the opposite side. The servo runs clockwise so it'll foul on the linkage to the barrel. Since the recoil module takes car of this from the sound card activation I can't reverse the channel on the transmitter.

Can I reverse the servo by putting a crossover cable in with the positive and negative wires crossed?

Thanks in advance.

Glen

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1196 times
Been liked: 1382 times

Re: Turret ring plate countersunk on wrong side

Post by Adrian Harris »

You can't reverse the servo by swapping the wires, you'll just fry the electronics inside.

I'd raise an email to Armortek and ask them to send a replacement part.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 983 times
Been liked: 2046 times

Post by Stephen White »

You can get an electronic servo reverser but I’d go with Adrian’s suggestion of a replacement part.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigytm-s ... tore=en_us

Andy Walker
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Andy Walker »

GlenStenhouse wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 9:26 pm
Hello,

DId anyone else get a turret plate (the aluminium plate that the elevation mechanism mounts to) with the countersinking done on the opposite side to the drawing? If I countersink from the shown side the plate is too thin and the hole will end up too big.

I've mounted it back to front so now the elevation motor sits under the main cupola. A little less space to put a figure in but just enough.

Problem is that I have to also mount the barrel upside down to allow for the recoil servo now being on the opposite side. The servo runs clockwise so it'll foul on the linkage to the barrel. Since the recoil module takes car of this from the sound card activation I can't reverse the channel on the transmitter.

Can I reverse the servo by putting a crossover cable in with the positive and negative wires crossed?

Thanks in advance.

Glen
Hi Glen,
I have just checked my Sherman turret ring and found the same issue. I will message Armortek for their solution.
Andy

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3058 times

Post by Armortek »

The easiest solution is to mount part EU0402 the other way around. This means that the elevation actuator sits on the right hand side of the tank.

The Recoil bracket can then also be mounted the other way around so that it sits on the left side of the tank.

The recoil servo arm should be placed DOWNWARDS so that the recoil will take the arm backwards.

In other words - assemble the elevation system and recoil system as a mirror image of the drawing. No machining or adapting or changing of parts is needed.
Armortek

GlenStenhouse

Post by GlenStenhouse »

Thanks for the reply. I had a mum look last night and I've opted for drilling additional mounting holes for the recoil unit on the opposite side so it puts it the right way around.

GlenStenhouse

Post by GlenStenhouse »

Armortek wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 4:37 pm
The easiest solution is to mount part EU0402 the other way around. This means that the elevation actuator sits on the right hand side of the tank.

The Recoil bracket can then also be mounted the other way around so that it sits on the left side of the tank.

The recoil servo arm should be placed DOWNWARDS so that the recoil will take the arm backwards.

In other words - assemble the elevation system and recoil system as a mirror image of the drawing. No machining or adapting or changing of parts is needed.
The barrel also has to be mounted upside down for this to work otherwise the linkage fouls. I've just opted for drilling the 4 mounting holes for the recoil unit in the mirrored position on the plate and this has reversed it and given the desired effect also so it can all be mounted as per drawing.

Andy Walker
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Andy Walker »

GlenStenhouse wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 2:57 am
Armortek wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 4:37 pm

The barrel also has to be mounted upside down for this to work otherwise the linkage fouls. I've just opted for drilling the 4 mounting holes for the recoil unit in the mirrored position on the plate and this has reversed it and given the desired effect also so it can all be mounted as per drawing.
Thanks for suggestion Glen....I think I will do the same as you.