Batteries for a newby

Forum for discussion relating to the Chietain MBT
Richard Goodwin
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 270 times

Re: Batteries for a newby

Post by Richard Goodwin »

Hi Gerhard and Happy New Year!

I see that you have interfaced a Benedini amplifier with the Beier soundcard. Would be interested in that. perhaps you would be kind enough to PM me details?

jwwirds
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by jwwirds »

Richard Goodwin wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:24 pm
Hi Gerhard and Happy New Year!

I see that you have interfaced a Benedini amplifier with the Beier soundcard. Would be interested in that. perhaps you would be kind enough to PM me details?
This is interesting to me too. On the new USM-RC-3 there is only one connection for a speaker. This setup will perhaps enable connection of the two speakers in the Sherman kit.
Another question: did anyone succeed in interfacing the red motor unit 2 from Armortek (for elevation and traversing the gun) to a Beier sound card?
Building Sherman Easy Eight
Leopard 2A4 ordered

Richard Goodwin

Another question: did anyone succeed in interfacing the red motor unit 2 from Armortek (for elevation and traversing the gun) to a Beier sound card?
I have but it was quite awhile ago. May be getting confused here with something else but from memory, you may have to disconnect one of the red servo wires....too many live feeds I think!

Gerhard Michel
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 559 times

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Hi guys and a happy new year too!

Beier sound modules use a so called class D amplifier, which uses high frequency to transport the sound to the speakers. Therefore you need a potential-free connection between USM and amplifier. Thomas (Benedini) offers a so called 'Audio-Isolator', which does the job. Additional a capacitor with 10 nF may be needed at the input pins of the amplifier to short the remaining high frequency of the USM's class D amplifier.
kind regards
Gerhard

Richard Goodwin

Beier sound modules use a so called class D amplifier, which uses high frequency to transport the sound to the speakers. Therefore you need a potential-free connection between USM and amplifier. Thomas (Benedini) offers a so called 'Audio-Isolator', which does the job. Additional a capacitor with 10 nF may be needed at the input pins of the amplifier to short the remaining high frequency of the USM's class D amplifier.
Excuse my ignorance here Gerhard but how is the isolator connected ie to what pins on both units assuming the 2 x 60W amp?

Gerhard Michel
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 559 times

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Hi Richard,

sorry, I should have explained that. This 'Audio Isolator' is a simple impedance converter, a device like a transformer, having two plugs typed like servo plugs. One connection is for the speaker pins of the USM and the other for the input pins of the amplifier. Both plugs fit electrically to both devices. Mechanically I used a Beier speaker cable and connected it to one end of the 'Audio Isolator'. The other servo typed plug fitted directly to the amplifier input.

I hope I could help you.
kind regards
Gerhard

Richard Goodwin

Thank you Gerhard, that makes sense. I remember some time ago trying to interface the two and could only get it to work by disconnecting one of the speaker returns. Even then, it wasn't very linear in amplification.