Question for those doing 2 motor set up?

Forum for discussion relating to the Universal Carrier
Derek Attree
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 151 times

Question for those doing 2 motor set up?

Post by Derek Attree »

Hi Guys
I was wondering for those who have gone the 2 motor set up what are you doing with the track warping ?
Have you fitted the centre servo to have track warping or locked the shaft in place and just relied on tank steering ?

The Universal carrier section seems to have gone very silent recently :wink:

Regards

Derek
we must stop making stupid predictions

Steve Norris
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 652 times

Re: Question for those doing 2 motor set up?

Post by Steve Norris »

Hi Derek
I have locked my centre shaft in place and not fitted the servo as it’s not required, I suppose you could leave the track warping working but I think small inputs on the track steering does the same thing.
Will get back to the UC when I have finished a Jagdtiger build I am doing.
Regards
Steve

Derek Attree
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Derek Attree »

Hi Steve
Thanks for the speedy reply you have confirmed what I was thinking.

Regards

Derek
we must stop making stupid predictions

Dennis Jones
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by Dennis Jones »

Hi Derek,

I too have locked the shaft and removed the servo as I needed room to put in the 12 volt 9 amp/hour gel battery on it's end at the front of the engine bay. The motors I am using now are a bit better but still a bit low on torque but the gearbox on them is more robust and steerrs well even on longish grass,

Dennis.

Steve McEvoy
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Steve McEvoy »

Hi Dennis, l am wanting to go the 2 motor route for my u/c. Fed up trying to get the braking system/steering working smoothly. Can you tell me what motors you used please. Thinking along the lines of removing the rear axle completely and using a direct drive on the shaft to the hubs. not sure if this is the right way to go but it would free up space inside the carrier for a decent size battery. I have sorted the issue of the tracks spinning on the sprockets just want to get the drive and steering smooth now.
Thanks in advance,
Steve.

Dennis Jones
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by Dennis Jones »

Hi Steve,

I used MFA Como Drills motors. The part numbers are :-

942D271 for 27:1
942D511 for 51:1

I originally used the 27:1 but there was plenty of speed but not enough torque so the 50:1 is better. Unforunately there are no ratios in between the both. If you log on to their website and download the brochures. If you read my build "Two new UC builds" you will see how I coupled the motors up.

I also got rid of the track bending servo and locked up the shaft as it didn't appear to do much and this means you can get a 12volt 9ah gel battery on it's end just behind the bulkhead which leaves room for the electronics and speaker in their original positions. I also put a spacer ring on the outside of the drive sprockets to prevent the track moving sideways.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Dennis.

Steve McEvoy
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Steve McEvoy »

Thanks for the reply Dennis, very much appreciated. l am a way off getting to the stage of fitting motors but it's good to know I can reach out for help/info when I get there.