M3 Lee color scheme

Forum for discussion relating to the M3 Lee nd Grant Medium Tank
Ray Brown
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 103 times

M3 Lee color scheme

Post by Ray Brown »

G'day all from down under. I want to finalise my Lee color and have used tamiya sprays. ts28 olive drab 2 and ts 70 olive drab.

the pics show ts 70 on the side and ts 28 on lower hull. google search doesn't help. could one of the forum modelers expertise help out with correct color.

colors will appear different on other monitors. ts 70 is more akin to an olive in color while ts 28 ìs more green.

thanks

ray

20211013_123228.jpg

Andy Walker
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 42 times

Re: M3 Lee color scheme

Post by Andy Walker »

Have you looked at TS-5 yet? Its a nice darkish Green Olive Drab

Chris Hall
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 631 times

Post by Chris Hall »

Ray -

Which historical colour are you trying to reproduce ? I haven't done much reading on the Australian M3's but, if they were delivered straight from the US they would presumably have been the standard US Olive Drab. Did the Australian Army repaint them ?

Anyway, as you say, colour is a matter of perspective. I've pretty well given up on my search for a truly accurate SCC13 for my Burma Lee, and mixing will always produce a result that's open to question. It may sound heretical, but I'm increasingly minded to say that if it's close enough, and you like it, then go for it ! There's very few people out there who can call you out on it ...........

All the best,

Chris
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)

Ray Brown
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by Ray Brown »

g'day guys. thanks for both replies. i'm doing the early US M3 Lee. looking at the colors available i'll go the ts 5 which is great for use on subjects such as WWII U.S. armor.

ts70 was apparently the color for recreating the shade of olive drab seen on Japan Ground Self Defense Force (JGSDF) vehicles.

ts 28 Olive drab great for use on U.S. military subjects from late WWII onwards.

my reference was tamiya.com

cheers

ray